U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:45 PM

58 posts, read 79,086 times

Advertisements

Decent dashcam costs $50 (I personally recommend G1W-C, I have 3 - in all my cars for more than 3 years). Good 32Gb MicroSD card will cost another $10-15 nowadays. Peace of mind is priceless!
If you have a relatively new car, chance is that the cigarette lighter outlet goes on and off with the ignition. This way you just plug the dashcam, stick it to the windshield and forget about it. If you are even more paranoid then I am, buy 2 and install one on the windshield, another one on the rear window.

It is not a silver bullet against all types of road incidents ... and hopefully you will never need it anyways.

But if someone runs the read light on a stranded intersection and claims that it was actually you running red light, not him, this $50 dashcam can potentially save you tens or hundreds of thousand $$$.

Just sayin'...

P.S. That's a still image from one of my trips to upstate NY in 2014 - a stupid f**k in red Hyundai apparently wanted to cut me and make it look like I tailgated and rear-ended him... This was a close call and I'm glad I had a dashcam...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 07:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,806,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Wow. I'm going to be on the lookout for that scam.

But there is one thing about that particular kind of "accident." You can actually tell who hit who by the damage on the senior's car. If her damage was on her back bumper, she did indeed hit the other car. If the damage is to the side of her car near the rear end, THEY hit HER car. So it's likely she wouldn't be found at fault. Although I hear that it's presumed that the one backing out is at fault, so that person must prove he is not at fault. (Presumed to be at fault because they are supposed to be carefully looking and going slowly enough to be sure it's safe to go.)
It is not so simple. A friend got it early one Sunday on an LA freeway. The car in front of him on a relatively empty freeway moved over and as he came up slammed on the brakes. He almost stopped but hit them. Two years later he won because he would not agree to allowing his insurance company to settle. At one point he actually filed suit against his insurance company...

Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 PM

5,084 posts, read 9,103,834 times
Well if you get rear ended when the car isn't running the dash cam may not see it. This is just the gift that living in a town full of ambulance chasing lawyers gives. If you have insurance, you get a competent in house lawyer who has seen these scams and will do what's necessary to ward them off. Unfortunately some find the uninsured or just set the situation up well enough that they get away with some money and everyone gets to pay through higher insurance rates.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:43 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,756,785 times
In Florida I noticed that many cars ahead of me appeared to be driven by headless people. I wonder if some of the elderly lost their heads in these scams?

Old 03-19-2016, 03:24 AM

4,981 posts, read 3,470,444 times
I don't know. I've gone over & over the accident in my head and I still don't think even an eyecam would have helped. Once you've started the process of turning right, you are pretty much unable to determine the outcome. I mean, your focus is now on the cars ahead of you, not those behind you.

I guess I was lucky in that she realized what she'd done. But, that's Minnesota, we're basically honest people.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 AM

117 posts, read 148,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

You know, I have said this before, that people should not put property in their own names. Folks on this board must think I'm crazy. For sure, they don't believe I know what I'm talking about. They claim they want that "homestead exemption"...it isn't worth what they save, to put their property at risk.
How do you put your house in some other name and still own it?
I never heard of this before.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:47 AM

1,450 posts, read 878,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
In Texas, your legal homestead, home furnishings and personal property up to $30K (60K for a couple), IRA's and 401K's are exempt from forced sales to settle judgments not due to divorce or delinquent taxes.
Texas taxes home furnishings? I likes there near 39 years and never had any property taxed besides my home.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:28 AM

29,800 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjazz View Post
How do you put your house in some other name and still own it?
I never heard of this before.
It is a strategy used by some older folks especially to protect assets from the government if they have to go on Medicaid for Nursing Care etc. The problem with it is the person you give ownership to can kick you out sell it for a profit and move you to a smaller cheaper place as it belongs to them at not you. Perhaps even more important as it relates to this thread is that while it may protect you if you get in an accident and get sued, you could instead lose the roof over your head if they get into an accident and get sued. This assumes your state doesn't protect your home in a law suit.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,273,841 times
Here's an example of what to watch out for in parking lots!

Thief drags woman by purse strap

Old 03-19-2016, 08:52 AM

117 posts, read 148,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is a strategy used by some older folks especially to protect assets from the government if they have to go on Medicaid for Nursing Care etc. The problem with it is the person you give ownership to can kick you out sell it for a profit and move you to a smaller cheaper place as it belongs to them at not you. Perhaps even more important as it relates to this thread is that while it may protect you if you get in an accident and get sued, you could instead lose the roof over your head if they get into an accident and get sued. This assumes your state doesn't protect your home in a law suit.
Thank you for the answer.
It doesn't sound like a safe bet to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or