U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,828,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post

Here's an example of what to watch out for in parking lots!
That's one reason I haven't carried a purse in close to 20 years.

I buy clothing with pockets.

All I carry is a small leather wallet, cell phone, keys, and smokes.

It's been so long, I can't even imagine what else goes into a 'purse'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:08 AM

436 posts, read 356,665 times
Yeah, I'm curious - what do you do if you get rear-ended?

I've seen people recording with their phone as they drive. They just set up a special holder for their smart phone ...wonder if I should get started with that as well...that will work for the front end, but what about the rear?

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS INFO, YELLOWSNOW, YOU ROCK!!

It's a little depressing though, seems like a new scam is born every day...but it's still better to be *in the know*

It's like in the Bible when it says lawlessness will increase until the second coming of Christ.

Last edited by sunburned_in_seattle; 03-19-2016 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: explaining about Judgement Day

Old 03-19-2016, 09:12 AM

Default LOL, like murphy's law..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Problem with that, for me at least, is forgetting to set your phone up. With my luck, I'd forget the day someone hit me.
yeah, probably me too...

Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 AM

9,204 posts, read 9,280,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There are people who will try to sue you for anything. But first, their attorney will look to see how much property you own. Even they know you can't get blood from a turnip.

You know, I have said this before, that people should not put property in their own names. Folks on this board must think I'm crazy. For sure, they don't believe I know what I'm talking about. They claim they want that "homestead exemption"...it isn't worth what they save, to put their property at risk.
Intelligent people don't engage in fancy theatrics like you describe. Instead, what we do is have adequate levels of insurance to protect ourselves. The difference between the cheapest car insurance policy and one with high limits of coverage is far less than most people imagine. Putting your property in someone else's name is dangerous. That makes that person, or entity, the legal owner. If you put it into an irrevocable trust, the trustee is able to make all decisions with respect to that property and you can't stop them from doing it.

If you have car insurance and homeowner's insurance, you can very easily purchase "umbrella coverage" that will add $1 million or more to your liability limits. Umbrella coverage tends to be cheap because it only kicks in a few situations where there is a huge loss. Since these losses are comparative rare, the coverage is not expensive.

Finally, there is another issue which is simply that of morality. Often major insurance claims are made because someone was careless and a bad injury or severe loss was sustained because of it. If I caused a serious injury because of my own careless driving, I would want the injured person fairly compensated for their losses. I wouldn't play games to prevent that from happening. The title of this thread is "Elderly Driver Scam". Sometimes, elderly drivers kill and maim others because they are inattentive, can't see properly, or otherwise fail to safely operate a motor vehicle. The elderly who make the choice to drive should not be immune from financial consequences when they cause harm.

I submit for every "scam" against elderly drivers there are probably 10 situations where elderly people drive carelessly and hurt someone.

Last edited by markg91359; 03-19-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-19-2016, 09:39 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,037,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You know, I have said this before, that people should not put property in their own names. Folks on this board must think I'm crazy. For sure, they don't believe I know what I'm talking about. They claim they want that "homestead exemption"...it isn't worth what they save, to put their property at risk.
Sorry I do not understand?????Whose name would you put the property in??

Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 AM

2,753 posts, read 2,221,776 times
I was scammed a few years ago in a hospital parking garage. I was going down the parking garage to the lower level so I can leave and this guy (probably in his mid 30's) was standing in the middle of the ramp going down to the pay booth so i can leave. So I stopped by car probably 7 feet from him and was about to roll down my window to say something and he ran towards my car and jumped on my hood. I was raging and got out of my car. As soon as I opened the door a elderly couple ran down the ramp to aid the guy who jumped on my hood. From the elderly perspective they said I hit him. The cop who showed up had 2 witnesses who claimed it was my fault and the guy claimed he broke his hand plus hurt his legs. It didn't look good for me because the only evidence I had to claim it was a scam were my words. I had no other evidence. The cop put me at fault. To make a long story short...I ended up getting footage from a camera around the corner near the elevator which recorded the whole thing. I knew I was going to get sued and it saved me. I know own a dashcam and thank god that camera was there. If he jumped on my hood 15 feet higher up the ramp then the camera wouldn't have caught it. I'm pretty lucky.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:00 AM

8,505 posts, read 12,465,046 times
Another reason why I have a front and rear dash cam.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:14 AM

Wow, this was educating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYw...HnZgobjUqzmQz5

All of those college students making jokes about "throwing themselves in front of a car" for a windfall to pay their tuition is not funny..

Old 03-19-2016, 10:20 AM

This was also educational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsNsWAv-EY

Old 03-19-2016, 10:23 AM

40 posts, read 65,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Intelligent people don't engage in fancy theatrics like you describe. Instead, what we do is have adequate levels of insurance to protect ourselves. The difference between the cheapest car insurance policy and one with high limits of coverage is far less than most people imagine. Putting your property in someone else's name is dangerous. That makes that person, or entity, the legal owner. If you put it into an irrevocable trust, the trustee is able to make all decisions with respect to that property and you can't stop them from doing it.

If you have car insurance and homeowner's insurance, you can very easily purchase "umbrella coverage" that will a $1 million or more to your liability limits. Umbrella coverage tends to be cheap because it only kicks in a few situations where this a huge loss. Since these losses are comparative rare, the coverage is not expensive.
Very good advice. Much more sensible than signing over all your worldly possessions to someone else (not sure who that is suppose to be) which is a totally ridiculous concept. Carry adequate insurance with a sound carrier and add an umbrella as required. I think my $1M umbrella runs under $200/yr. And god forbid anything like this ever happens, let the insurance company fight it out. That is what I'm paying them for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or