U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 04:06 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,976,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You wrote an awful lot of sentences with I in it. Maybe there is someone else to consider.

I have been lucky. My wife has not. When we were in our early 50's we were walking every day. Now we are both 71 and my wife has had four (4) knee replacements and is looking at a shoulder replacement.

Never saw it coming.
Could you elaborate on the 4 knee replacements and the shoulder replacement? I know I gave up tennis when I was in my late 50's because it was a choice between giving up tennis and major shoulder surgery. I have a SIL who had similar issues - and chose the shoulder surgery. She's had 2 or 3 of them. None very successful. She still plays tennis - but not like she used to.

My brother - also a recreational tennis player - has had major knee surgery on both knees before. Never gave up tennis. He's looking at his second round of major knee surgery (and he's only in his mid-60's). I took up golf in my late 50's. Have never gotten very good at it. But it seems to agree with my joints. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 04:09 PM

536 posts, read 634,301 times
Clemencia, I agree with you. I knock wood as I say this, but I am 67 and think you're right not to listen when people warn you that at a certain age "it gets harder to do the things you used to."

I suppose some activities will if I live much longer, but why set a year and date and age to it, when it might be an illness or an accident? And it might be either ahead or way behind the schedule?

I still strength train, still work out, and still work full time and then some. It has always been hard for me to do my job, because my job is quite demanding. And I have an extra commitment that adds tons of work at unpredictable times--unpaid work for a non-profit.

My schedule has always exhausted me, and it still does. I am a bit of an introvert, and what bothers me about my life is not enough down time, too many people all the time. But I feel as if there will be more than enough downtime when I am dead. (Sorry, I am Irish--we use the "d" word a lot.)

I am no ultra trainer, but I enjoy working out and strength training and I can see that it holds off the aging process. It does not reverse it, but I can see muscles where there used to be none, so I hope I am helping things out. Triceps the size of walnuts, but I'll take them. I can lift my body up just from my arms in 30 reps and it only makes me see blue stars once in a while. I am grateful, for it is not everyone's experience.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:11 PM

14,061 posts, read 7,496,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
So where do you live now? Uber would make where I live excellent (as opposed to very good). Not only are we a little far from the major Uber service area - but the Florida legislature can't seem to get its act together in terms of deciding what to do about Uber:
I live in two vacation homes. I telecommute from a ski resort in Vermont in the winter and on the Massachusetts coast near the Rhode Island line in the summer. The summer place is a small 1-level bungalow 10 minutes walk from the harbor village center. The town has a 7,500 undergrad state college and is a couple miles from a depressed but vibrant city of 90,000. It's my home town so it's my comfort zone and I really like the nearby Portuguese/Azores Islands-dominated diversity. Boston is an hour if it's not rush hour. The winter place is a townhouse condo with a stiff Vermont state school property tax and an ever-increasing condo fee that is double the ownership costs.

My retirement financial planning is all about managing to keep both places and the boat until I can't ski. I already have a lifetime pattern skiing every day I can in the winter and doing ocean-focused things like sailing, fishing, and bicycling to the beach in the summer. I've been divorced twice and I'm busily catching up financially so I can do that by age 65 1/2 but without the nuisance of work interfering with all my leisure activities. I'm already living on less than my projected retirement cash burn. As long as the telecommuting thing continues, I have no reason to change anything. My plan is to work another 7 3/4 years. If the telecommuting thing ends and I have to do a nasty metro-Boston commute, I'll likely re-plan.

Here's the view out my Vermont townhouse window

My summer place

My catboat in the harbor

Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 PM

3,747 posts, read 4,230,778 times
Quote:
So where do you live now? Uber would make where I live excellent (as opposed to very good). Not only are we a little far from the major Uber service area - but the Florida legislature can't seem to get its act together in terms of deciding what to do about Uber:

Plan to regulate Uber, Lyft all but dead in Florida Legislature | Miami Herald

Robyn
I've had three Uber rides to date, all in the Jacksonville Beach area. After the first two rides with my son, I was ready to go solo to the airport - IIRC, it cost me about $30.00. Well worth it.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:04 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,172,753 times
Quote:
We have a single story house. Four bedrooms (2 used as home offices). Don't know about anyone else. But my husband tends to snore. And - when he wakes me up at 4 am - I stumble into the guest bedroom. Sometimes *he* wakes up in the middle of the night and has to go to the bathroom. Not realizing I am gone - he goes to the bathroom in the guest room so he doesn't wake me up. So we both wind up in the guest bedroom . "Musical beds" like this might get dangerous if we were navigating stairs - especially in the dark in the middle of the night.

FWIW - I don't feel strongly about any issue here except the single story issue. Houses are expensive these days. Both in terms of what they cost to buy and what they cost to maintain. Why buy a house where you might not be able to use a sizable % of it at any time in your life? Either on a temporary or permanent basis. We use almost 100% of our house every day. Robyn
I'm believing it. Enough people have said it about the stairs. The house we have now has upstairs, but no bedrooms are up there. I will take that to heart if I do buy with stairs.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You wrote an awful lot of sentences with I in it. Maybe there is someone else to consider.

I have been lucky. My wife has not. When we were in our early 50's we were walking every day. Now we are both 71 and my wife has had four (4) knee replacements and is looking at a shoulder replacement.

Never saw it coming.
Yes this thread is an eye opener with a lot of never saw it coming stories.

There are actually 2 other people to consider. My husband wants to move out into the country even more than I do. He doesn't like the stairs, so I do have to consider that in what we buy. Sometimes it just all depends on the house, what rooms are upstairs etc. And there's my adult disabled son that we still take care of. His disability isn't physical. We stayed in town because his programs and services were here. Upon becoming an adult he aged out of most things and so much of it really wasn't that great anyhow. As it is I drive him clear across town for his day program 2 days a week. I'm doing a lot of driving anyhow. I'd be glad to look at other options at this point. I know other people with this kind of life living further out than I do. I'm up for the challenge. I this I that.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
My father and my mother were still taking their boat from Florida to Bimini when they were 80ish. For fishing trips. And my father was basically doing all the maintenance on his house until he sold it - when he was in his mid-80's.

Exactly how close to 80 are your folks? When it comes to observing our parents age - and other older people as well - I think early 80's is a big dividing line (my father and his family members are outliers IMO - things happen to them at 90 that happen to most people when they're 80).

Since you mention you have living parents - have you taken into account how you might have to help them as they age vis-a-vis where/how you want to live? My husband and I have basically dealt almost non-stop with elderly fathers - who moved here after our mothers died. Since 2002. When my late FIL moved to a nursing home here. After he died - we were thinking of moving. But then my mother died - and my father moved here less than a year after my FIL died. In 2006. And he's been here ever since. I don't feel totally tied down - because I live in a pretty nice area that is at least a solid B for us. And I couldn't imagine just moving away leaving my elderly father here. Who would deal with him/his issues? Probably me and my husband. But long distance - not local (the latter is much easier than the former - driving a few miles as opposed to plane trips). Robyn
They are 78 and 79. We have thought about them and it is part of the reason they bought a little place were where my sister and I live. And my place has a small guest house they are welcome to anytime. Part of the reason I want to take my time looking is I would like this same sort of set up. Small guest quarters are a fairly common here in the older homes. Right now it is hard because they are in another state where none of their kids live. One day we know of course that will have to change.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:54 AM

6,735 posts, read 3,787,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Not quite retired yet. In my early 50's, not sure when we will retire, but we look ahead a prepare for it. Here is my question. I haven't wanted to do this before now, but we think we would like to buy a place on some acreage and live out in the country a bit or more than a bit. Depends on what we find. House not too small and I prefer to have stairs in it because I think going up and down stairs has its health benefits. And I feel like the whole being old thing is a long way off. I feel young.

What happened? I sell real estate and recently helped some friends around my age buy a cute little house in town. Their criteria. No stairs because they have to think about how they might fall and break a hip. No yard or almost no yard because the maintenance may be too much for them to maintain at their age. They even considered one house that was handicapped accessible because it may some day come in handy. And they have a handicapped placard on their car and don't seem at all handicapped. I know that's none of my business and no I didn't ask. And yes, I know it just may be there are things coming up with them that they know about and I don't. For them they are happy with their cute little house and I'm glad, but it really just got me thinking about some things.

At what point is buying the house with stairs, maybe a little far from the hospital a bad idea? At what age should someone really be thinking about this stuff? If I do it how many good years do I have to live there?
I'm 62 and have similar criteria to your friends. No stairs, or at least no stairs that lead to rooms that I need to access regularly. Near amenities, includng health care. Not living in a town without full health care (small towns are out). Best to have public transportation or walking access to nearby stores (but I'm not going to have that). I DO want a yard, since I have dogs and want fruit trees, blackberry bushes, and a small garden. I will have to pay to have the lawn mowed.

I am moving to a small city from a big city, to get the soil and lifestyle I want. I question whether I should leave a big city because of all that's available for seniors. But the decisions made, so too late now. I'm moving to a mid-size city that has health care, though, and is a hub for a large rural area, AND lots of retirees. So I think it'll be fine.

It's good to think of these things ahead of time. My dad and stepmom are aging in a home he built years ago. Their master is upstairs. My stepmom fell down the stairs. She also had foot surgery so was in a wheelchair. That required my dad to reconfigure the downstairs bath so her wheelchair would fit thru the door. Put in a new shower so she could roll into it w/the chair. Now they have turned their den into a bedroom, because they need to avoid the stairs. They DO have a large yard, which my dad still enjoys. He has citrus trees and other plants. A pet (I won't tell you what). He pays to have it mowed. But he cares for the plants himself.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:47 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,181,910 times
51 is a kid. You might want to think about a place with no stairs and closer to town when you're approaching 70.

I am 61 and have no problems with stairs; my wife is 66 and has some problems but not enough to make her want to move. 70 sounds right; maybe a little older.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:14 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,976,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I've had three Uber rides to date, all in the Jacksonville Beach area. After the first two rides with my son, I was ready to go solo to the airport - IIRC, it cost me about $30.00. Well worth it.
JAX Beach seems to have better service than we do (especially because of the all the bars there and the tough DUI rules). But I guess we'll catch up one of these days. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or