U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:53 PM

9,219 posts, read 8,310,003 times

Advertisements

I will be 60 and my husband will be 70 when we retire.

We are purchasing a home on the water on the west coast of Florida.

We both work out regularly and are in decent shape.

We plan on boating, fishing, swimming, working out every day until we drop dead.

We've done this for the first five and six decades of our lives and don't plan to stop now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 04:56 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Hate to break it to you. You are only 53. 12 years away from being even a "junior senior" (senior senior is 80+). I am not sure why middle aged people think they're doing great as "seniors" when they aren't close to being seniors yet. Robyn
Here business' begin giving senior discounts at 55.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM

11,269 posts, read 8,436,427 times
I met a beautiful lady in her... 80's I think? She was a horsewoman. (She was also interned during in WWII as a young girl.) She had a nice property with a barn and a retired Appy horse that she tended. They had a lovely, peaceful existence.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:19 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,935,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For those who plan on multiple moves, isn't this expensive? I am afraid we will move to some sort of condo or independent living place, if we live that long. But to count on moving to two regular homes in the later years?

Even assuming profits on one home, it could be expensive to move a home at a time when you need to be conserving income.

Where am I wrong here?
I don't think you're wrong at all. Moving is expensive. Even if the only thing you're taking into account is the real estate commission when you're selling a place. But there are lots of other things as well. Like turning your new place into a place you like as much as your old place (whatever it costs). Robyn

Old 03-19-2016, 05:33 PM

30,702 posts, read 33,484,787 times
I've only lived in single story ranch houses so stairs and I do not have a history. Are they a good workout? Perhaps, but I'll never know. I use stairs at work but dislike multi story living so a small cottage with a little private outdoor space when I'm older sounds good to me. My current house isn't much more than that so if I end up staying here it's all good.

Everyone does things different because people are unique! I'm also a forward thinker and believe universal design should be considered in all new development so people can stay where they are EVEN IF physical challenges appear later. It's not planning to be infirmed or anything, it's just logic.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 PM

13,046 posts, read 15,403,539 times
I have to say, though, working in healthcare, MOST of the falls I see are falls on/from stairs. Not just seniors, but all ages.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 PM

6,484 posts, read 3,076,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For those who plan on multiple moves, isn't this expensive? I am afraid we will move to some sort of condo or independent living place, if we live that long. But to count on moving to two regular homes in the later years?

Even assuming profits on one home, it could be expensive to move a home at a time when you need to be conserving income.

Where am I wrong here?

Sure there will be costs. If that is what you want to do, you need to think through those costs, plan for them and make sure you can afford them.

If you are talking a regular suburban home to a condo/townhouse probably not such a big deal.

The problem I have seen is people with huge or expensive homes on large acreage looking for a special buyer. That can take a long time to sell at a time where you may be in a hurry to move to something smaller.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have to say, though, working in healthcare, MOST of the falls I see are falls on/from stairs. Not just seniors, but all ages.
This lol!....I'm clumsy when it comes to stairs. Falling in your 30's or 40's is one thing. Sliding down the stairs in your 60's to 80's not something I want to be doing.

My criteria for a retirement home was one story.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 1,048,398 times
Early 50s is young, a long ways off from decrepit. A house in the country sounds heavenly, and I believe that people should plan for the future based on hope, not fear. You could buy a little house or in-town townhouse near a hospital, instead, and there you'd be, for 30 years, healthy as a horse, not needing a hospital--and you gave up your dream of living in the country. Would it be worth it? I think you should move forward with your dream of country living. Barring some kind of genetic disorder or unforeseen catastrophe, people can live very healthy and active lives well into their 80s. Of course, to do that, you have to take care of yourself, eat healthy, be physically active, etc. But it sounds like you already know this.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Not quite retired yet. In my early 50's, not sure when we will retire, but we look ahead a prepare for it. Here is my question. I haven't wanted to do this before now, but we think we would like to buy a place on some acreage and live out in the country a bit or more than a bit. Depends on what we find. House not too small and I prefer to have stairs in it because I think going up and down stairs has its health benefits. And I feel like the whole being old thing is a long way off. I feel young.

What happened? I sell real estate and recently helped some friends around my age buy a cute little house in town. Their criteria. No stairs because they have to think about how they might fall and break a hip. No yard or almost no yard because the maintenance may be too much for them to maintain at their age. They even considered one house that was handicapped accessible because it may some day come in handy. And they have a handicapped placard on their car and don't seem at all handicapped. I know that's none of my business and no I didn't ask. And yes, I know it just may be there are things coming up with them that they know about and I don't. For them they are happy with their cute little house and I'm glad, but it really just got me thinking about some things.

At what point is buying the house with stairs, maybe a little far from the hospital a bad idea? At what age should someone really be thinking about this stuff? If I do it how many good years do I have to live there?

I think it depends on the house/acreage and also whether or not you plan to have animals like horses, cows, etc.

Rural properties can be quite a lot of work and also very expensive to maintain. If there are pastures, fencing, etc. It can be like a full time job.

Even getting the garbage to a point to be picked up can be a major undertaking.

If one of you drops.....even worse. Depends on how much grass has to be mowed. And all sorts of other things that have to be done to keep nature from reclaiming the property.

If you really want to do all that then I suppose the best answer you will have is to look to how long your own parents were physically able to do that kind of work.

Also, there are lots of small or medium size towns that are surrounded by rural property and you may only be 10 or 15 minutes from civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or