U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times

Advertisements

Eliminate everything with wheat in it (read Wheat Belly by Dr. Wm Davis, cardiologist) and the struggle will be much easier. Carbs and sweet carbs + not as much exercise = weight gain at least for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 02:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,667,902 times
Yeah, it's harder when your body has a memory of the past stresses put onto it and has to be shocked into speeding up the metabolism.
Plus the fact that as you get older, the metabolic rate gets slower so it's harder to lose weight.
I believe that's why cross training has got so popular as you can stress the body using more of a menu of exercises.
Change it up and see if it helps break up the complacent brain that got you into a groove.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:25 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,340,170 times
I have been fighting the battle for my whole life. Sometimes I am winning and sometimes losing. But the battle is constant. And being female, you can't be too thin. If you finally fit in a 6, there is the allure of a 4 taunting you. And of course the 'ideal' female body can hide behind a telephone pole except for the huge breasts. In my mind it never gets any easier.

If I could change 1 thing, I would wish to be one of those people who are blessed with a decent metabolism and can eat as they please and not gain. I am sick and tired of living hungry. I keep saying I should give up because I am older than dirt! What would it be like to eat three meals a day plus snacks? I will probably never know!

Old 03-20-2016, 03:01 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,351,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I would never guess from your user name but your comment certainly identifies your gender. I cannot imagine a male thinking about losing weight so they could buy new clothes.
What do you do if your pants fall off your butt as in my case. I don't like to wear belt.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Add to that the skin sag even when you lose weight

Used to pop back to firm skin but with th elastins gone that doesn't happen. The skin just droops
My skin does not say as much. There's still elasticity. If I do it quicker before it actually says then I will be ok.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Eliminate everything with wheat in it (read Wheat Belly by Dr. Wm Davis, cardiologist) and the struggle will be much easier. Carbs and sweet carbs + not as much exercise = weight gain at least for many.
Already doing that but nuts are just as bad for weight gain. At least my nails are long.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:30 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,266,434 times
Went back to working out at the local gym, wife and I in our seventies, and finding it much harder to ditch the unwanted pounds. Back on the Atkins protein over carbs as a measure of control of the food end, of course nothing beats a hard days work to peel off the weight, jeez, when's the last time i really had a hard day at anything though?

I'm at 200 pounds, six feet in height, and was thin for most of my life, it is worth noting that we both feel better when going to the gym and really getting a good heart beat rate, plus weight lifting to tone up a bit. I sleep better and in general feel much less lethargic on these rainy days. Staying healthy in retirement means "moving" not geographically but keeping the old joints loosened up. I don't fret over a few pounds of excess weight, but it does bother me to look sloppy and old when the clothes no longer fit.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:48 AM

6,625 posts, read 3,756,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
I've been a motivated fitness-oriented guy now for the last 25 years but in my journey I've had some periods where I carried a little more bodyweight than necessary. I've learned it's possible to be fat and fit. While the definition of fat varies from person to person, when I say fat for me, I mean about 10 to 15% more than a lean and mean "fighting bodyweight" (figure of speech) - I'm 61 years young now.

So last July 30th after returning home for a brief vacation giving me lots of time in the pool, I had a moment of disgust with myself that I had become a little too fleshy to my liking. While enjoying a good level of strength endurance from my training, I had slipped into eating too much and was at about 25 lbs. higher than my desired "fighting weight". I resolved, during my flight home, that the next day I was going to do something about it.

So I started on July 31st with a goal of shedding 15 lbs. and began doing all the necessary things I had done it the past when it was time to get a job like this done. Slightly over 7 months later, I've gotten the job done with a cumulatively bodyweight loss, depending on my morning weigh-in and previous day consumption (with carbs being a big factor), of about 20 lbs.

The first couple months were brutally frustrating yet I was determined and persisted. And in these months of frustration, I thought about earlier times when I had buttoned down and experienced weight loss quicker, leading me to the conclusion that it sure was harder this time.

Does anyone here have a similar experience of it being harder now than before?

This whole episode has taught me that better to manage the bodyweight uptick rather than work like a dog to get it off so, hopefully I won't have to do this again.

Again, very possible to be fat and fit and I have the anecdotal experience proving it to me.
I think it might be partly due to less muscle. Every decade the body loses muscle, unless one works out with weights to keep it stable. So insteading of working out w/weights to increase muscle, one might just be keeping it the same. Muscle leads to weight loss over the long term since it uses more calories 24X7.

It also might be the body's protection mechanism. I've heard that chunkier seniors are better protected against illness because of that small amount of extra weight than their thin counterparts. Not obese or anything near that, mind you. Just a few extra pounds on the body.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 AM

9,764 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have been fighting the battle for my whole life. Sometimes I am winning and sometimes losing. But the battle is constant. And being female, you can't be too thin. If you finally fit in a 6, there is the allure of a 4 taunting you. And of course the 'ideal' female body can hide behind a telephone pole except for the huge breasts. In my mind it never gets any easier.

If I could change 1 thing, I would wish to be one of those people who are blessed with a decent metabolism and can eat as they please and not gain. I am sick and tired of living hungry. I keep saying I should give up because I am older than dirt! What would it be like to eat three meals a day plus snacks? I will probably never know!
I'm old too. There are a couple of real advantages, or so they say, to getting old. One is that you don't have to worry about what other people think, you can march to your own drummer. This applies, as I see it, to the societal pressures put on women to be thin and thinner. Now is the time, if you never did so before, to embrace your own personal best, to use that for any fitness or body image goal, and to ignore as not relevant, or realistic, those one size fits all (very thin),goalposts set up for Everywoman.

The second thing is that they say as your metabolic needs lessen as you age, your appetite will lessen too, and you won't want to eat as much as you did when you were younger. Or, you will eat less because due to some of the vicissitudes of old age ( digestive issues, hiatal hernia), you will be miserable if you eat too much or the wrong thing. Not sure you could call that last thing an advantage, but it is what it is, and it does lessen the temptations to eat too much or stuff you shouldn't eat.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:48 AM

890 posts, read 678,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I'm aware of that book but never read it. I don't think it's that simple. Actually the simple part in my opinion is the number of calories consumed on average over time. We eat too much with "we" being me; I'm talking to myself.

My wife eats gluten free for health reasons and she's almost as light as when I met her. She would prefer to not be gluten free but it's necessary.

I've had good results practicing intermittent fasting and once the brain adjusts, it's actually a pretty good way to live although it has the ability to be anti-social among family and friends. It's a sure way to eat less and that's what really works. I'm eating less now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or