U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:10 AM

890 posts, read 677,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think it might be partly due to less muscle. Every decade the body loses muscle, unless one works out with weights to keep it stable. So insteading of working out w/weights to increase muscle, one might just be keeping it the same. Muscle leads to weight loss over the long term since it uses more calories 24X7.

It also might be the body's protection mechanism. I've heard that chunkier seniors are better protected against illness because of that small amount of extra weight than their thin counterparts. Not obese or anything near that, mind you. Just a few extra pounds on the body.
Agreed with your statement about less muscle. Talking to a guy the other day in the barber shop who was saying how he weighed almost the same as when in high school except now he had a big gut. So in high school is weight was perhaps 85% lean body mass and 15% fat and now it may be 70% lean body mass and 30% fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 AM

126 posts, read 138,141 times
It's tough to lose weight as you age; the body seems to conspire against you. However, It can be done. I had been riding my bicycle for a long time, but found it very difficult to shed weight. Seems I was "stuck" at 220. Then, about 4 months ago, I drastically cut down fat and processed sugars in my diet, and also started having smaller portions. That, combined with regular exercise, has enabled me to drop over 40 pounds. I think I have about 15 more to get to my "ideal" weight. It's hard to maintain the discipline, but I feel (and look) so much better, and getting on the scale is no longer filled with angst and dread. I used to feel like the attached pic, but no more!
Attached Thumbnails
Tougher a decade later-smoking_hot.jpg  

Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 AM

7,116 posts, read 8,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I am sick and tired of living hungry.... What would it be like to eat three meals a day plus snacks? I will probably never know!
You can find out, without ever being hungry.

When you get hungry, sit down to a burger, piece of fish or chicken, or some eggs. The only catch is, no bun, roll, or toast -- just the protein. You won't gain an ounce from this, and it will satisfy your hunger.

In fact, if you ate nearly all your meals like this, you'd no longer have a weight problem. What, me hungry???

Old 03-21-2016, 10:15 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,041,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You can find out, without ever being hungry.

When you get hungry, sit down to a burger, piece of fish or chicken, or some eggs. The only catch is, no bun, roll, or toast -- just the protein. You won't gain an ounce from this, and it will satisfy your hunger.

In fact, if you ate nearly all your meals like this, you'd no longer have a weight problem. What, me hungry???
That does satisfy hunger cravings, for sure. And you add some veggies, salad greens. Lower carb fruit, it's a meal. Works most of the time for me, it's just that sometimes I get such a craving for bread, other carbs or salty junk food, and occasionally chocolate, it drives me nuts. I indulge in those once in a great while ( maybe once or twice a month at a planned occasion), and it does take the edge off that craving.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:39 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,813,363 times
Like others here I too am a bit of a fitness oriented guy.

I'll be 64 in a few weeks, and have been retired for nine years now. At retirement, I generally was in the low to mid 180's, which isn't bad for being 6'1". In the nine years since retirement, my weight has actually slowly drifted downward, now weighing just a bit under 170.

I weight lift three times a week, and have been doing so for nearly 50 years now. I also use an exercise bike twice a week and a rowing machine twice a week.

Surprisingly, so far I'm still lifting about as much weight I did at my very peak, though I have to admit I'm a bit more winded now at the end of the workout (a little over 40 minute session). Biking is still pretty good, though I'm about 10-15% slower than I was 30 years ago. Rowing is still holding up well, unless my shoulder is acting up.

I don't go up and down with my weight. But I have lost a bit of muscle. I used to have a 48" chest 30 years ago, now down to 43". My waist size has stayed the same though, maybe even gotten a little smaller.

But overall I find that I move a bit slower than I used to move, especially walking. I used to be able to easily walk three miles in under an hour, now I use up a full hour to go that far (and I feel like I'm pushing myself too).

Old 03-21-2016, 11:12 AM

1,925 posts, read 990,367 times
this thread is making me hungry

Old 03-21-2016, 01:23 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Eliminate everything with wheat in it (read Wheat Belly by Dr. Wm Davis, cardiologist) and the struggle will be much easier. Carbs and sweet carbs + not as much exercise = weight gain at least for many.
I agree that carbs/sugar can result in weight gain for many. If the no-wheat diet works for you, great. However, questions have been raised about the scientific validity of Dr Davis' 'wheat belly' diet and his claims.

Wheat Belly, Busted
The Smoke and Mirrors Behind Wheat Belly and Grain Brain
https://doccamiryan.wordpress.com/20...y-or-belly-up/

Speaking from my own experience, I can certainly attest carb reduction with weight loss. I lost 6% of my body weight in 3 months by changing my diet from ~ 35% carb, 25% protein, 40% fruits/vegetables to ~15% carb, 35% protein (mostly fish, nuts, eggs, chicken) and 50% fruits/vegetables. My carb is mostly whole-grain wheat bread/bagel/pasta.

This low-carb but certainly not gluten or wheat-free helps me in controlling my blood sugar. However, I also need to get at least 45 minutes of exercise a day to stay at the healthy level.

I don't think that one can rely solely on diet or exercise (both aerobic and strength training) alone to stay healthy. Dieting may help to maintain one's weight but certainly does not do anything to one's strength, bone density, stamina, cardiovascular health and muscle mass (which I think plays a big metabolism role).

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-21-2016 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 02:57 PM

414 posts, read 263,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
this thread is making me hungry
Ha ha! Me, too!

Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 PM

29 posts, read 22,146 times
I can also attest to the effectiveness of low-carb. I lost almost 1/6 of my body weight in about 3 months by cutting starches and increasing vegetables and protein (and continuing to exercise). Waist went from size 38 to 32. It also helps with blood sugar.
I'm getting hungry too.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 PM

890 posts, read 677,754 times
When most of us say we're hungry, I believe we're using the wrong word. It's hard to be hungry in America. Rather, we have a strong desire to eat food, mostly out of habit, but I dare to say most of us aren't hungry.

What I've used in my intermittent fasting journey, is that hunger (OK I'll call it that) will pass if we give it enough time and it becomes easier once we deprogram our eating habit clock of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Some of us can set our watches to habit meal time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or