U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:39 PM

23,751 posts, read 17,704,665 times

Advertisements

I'm 29, 5'9, and weigh 210. When I was 20, I weighed about 190, was a couple inches shorter, and wore a 34" waist instead of the 36" I'm wearing now. I'm down from 40", 220 in the fall. About the only changes I've made are cutting out sweet tea except maybe once a week and cutting my beer consumption in half. I do eat healthier/lighter during the warmer months. That has nothing to do with a weight loss goal - I just prefer to eat lighter during spring/summer to go along with warm weather. I probably need to cut back on my sandwiches - I eat at least one sandwich a day, and sometimes all three meals are sandwiches of some sort. I love cold cuts with all the veggie toppings.

I haven't surpassed my youth bench press record (330 lbs) but was never a great bench presser, and have squatted my youth record (495 lbs) within the past three months without much trouble. I never deadlifted seriously, but was able to do 365 about a month ago for three reps. Keep in mind I'm short, stocky/heavy set, squats are my favorite lift. Amusingly enough, I am leg/bottom heavy for a man.

It is a bit more difficult to keep the fat off at 30, but nothing that cutting out alcohol and a bit more diligence couldn't correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,895,869 times
I am one of those yo-yos who can only seem to get it done in sprints. I am late 50s now. Probably 4 or 5 times I have lost 20 pounds or more in 3 months or less and kept it off for years. When I turned 54 I was at my heaviest and I set a goal of losing 55 pounds before I turned 55. It took me about 7 months. I did gain a chunk of that back; I went to a lower weight than I had been in decades and had a hard time staying there. Two years later, I had gained 40 back - the quickest I have ever had it "creep" up. I lost 20 of that in 3 months and have been holding steady at that for a few months. I have never had success at losing a little at a time. It's like I can flip a switch and make eating unimportant and lose what I want but can't seem to adjust to a consistent diet that is right for me. My doctor tells me I should weigh more often and try to keep the swings in a smaller range. She knows I am unlikely to suddenly find a way to consistently eat right at this point. the message is not to do what I do; it is to do what works for you.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 AM

890 posts, read 681,105 times
I appreciate the good sharing and rigorous honesty here. It's so hard to avoid the good food and desserts when you've got a gun pointed at your head and being told to eat.

I remember elder fitness guru Clarence Bass telling about his uncle who had an amazing ability to not let being full keep him from finishing what was on his plate. We guys can take a lesson from the ladies many of whom do a good job of asking for a doggy bag when eating out. I don't believe I've ever taken a doggy bag home.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM

3,923 posts, read 4,671,263 times
My dad joined a gym when he retired and signed on with a personal trainer, and while I don't believe he has lost any weight (nothing noticeable, at any rate), he says that his trainer has listed an increase in mobility, heart health, and strength for my dad since joining. And he's fine with that, since his own dad passed away from a heart attack about the age he is now.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:19 AM

7 posts, read 3,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
I've had good results practicing intermittent fasting and once the brain adjusts, it's actually a pretty good way to live although it has the ability to be anti-social among family and friends. It's a sure way to eat less and that's what really works. I'm eating less now.
I'm curious, how do you do that?

A few times in the past I've gone three days without eating, just drinking lots of water and a couple of cups of coffee a day (am addicted, will get headaches if I go a whole day without it). For those three days I've managed to lose 6 lbs but then gain it back after the fast (I neglect to eat less, sigh). I've read that you have to fast at least 3 days to get rid of the toxins in your body, the main reason why I do it, losing weight is secondary. I will be doing it soon, though, to try and lose some pounds, am 25 lbs over my ideal of 140 lbs.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 AM

890 posts, read 681,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvcort View Post
I'm curious, how do you do that?

A few times in the past I've gone three days without eating, just drinking lots of water and a couple of cups of coffee a day (am addicted, will get headaches if I go a whole day without it). For those three days I've managed to lose 6 lbs but then gain it back after the fast (I neglect to eat less, sigh). I've read that you have to fast at least 3 days to get rid of the toxins in your body, the main reason why I do it, losing weight is secondary. I will be doing it soon, though, to try and lose some pounds, am 25 lbs over my ideal of 140 lbs.
Probably the most popular version of intermittent fasting is known as Fast 5 and uses a feeding window of 5 hours within a 24 hour period. I'm generally following that feeding window right now but not being too strict about it as I'm close to my target weight.

I first experimented with intermittent fasting about 7 years ago during Lent when I was trying to do something sacrificial for Lent like a good Catholic boy but also wanted to satisfy my curiosity about this method. So I followed it for the entire 40 days of Lent. I chose to be more strict and called my version 2/24 with a very small eating window of 2 hours in a 24-hour period. I was flexible on some days as I needed to be with feeding windows up to 5 hours but I generally tried to follow a 2 hour window.

Again, the brain and body does need about a week to adapt and you do need to think about the time of day you exercise or do physical demanding activities but for most middle-aged couch potatoes, you really don't need much food to survive.

I lost 17 lbs. during that 40 day period. So I know it works.

The challenge being is our predisposition to, once relaxed, eating like we're still a 16-year old kid on the high school football team.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 AM

7 posts, read 3,960 times
Thanks Borninsac for your reply, appreciated.

I doubt that I would be able to do that, though. I've found in the 3 day fast, once I stop feeling the hunger pains, I don't suffer as much for the remaining time. Plus I do like the idea of getting rid of toxins. I've also tried the 2/5 fast, I didn't like it for the same reason, I suffered more from hunger because of the intermittent eating times. Whatever works for each individual, as long as we keep the fat off, especially the waist fat. My eating problem is snacking after dinner while watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or