U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2016, 12:11 PM
 
11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Reputation: 18698

Advertisements

I'm looking to retire at age 62 and plan on transferring my full time job to a part time job with the same company across country, buying a new home but continuing to work part time 10-20 hours a week until I'm 65.
There are some very nice small to mid size towns which I think would be perfect for me that are maybe about 10 miles from where i would be working. The distance at most would be about 10 miles or about a 15 minute drive. There's relatively little traffic in these parts but I may have to put up with some snow in the winter. Not lots of snow and ice but they do get some winter weather.
If you found your dream home in retirement in a nice little town, would you travel 10 miles each way 2-3 times a week to work a part time job or settle for a home that might not be so perfect but in the same town where you work and put up with the drive for 3 years until you retire fully?
My main reason for continuing to work those 3 years part time is for extra income and health benefits until I'm 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2016, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If you found your dream home in retirement in a nice little town, would you travel 10 miles each way 2-3 times a week to work a part time job or settle for a home that might not be so perfect but in the same town where you work and put up with the drive for 3 years until you retire fully?
I already do travel 10 mi (20 mi RT) mostly on highway to a PT job twice a week, here in New England when winter lasts four to five months. Traveled roadways are maintained. You just set out early to allow plenty of time at a reasonable speed. Ten miles is not very far, so don't worry and take the job and the perfect home location. (I'm 67 and plan to do this three more years.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2016, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
Reputation: 32304
Marino760, you must be joking, but I don't get the humor. Ten miles one way which is 15 minutes? You are asking if that extremely short commute is too much? You should count your lucky stars that you will have such a short commute. What are you used to, living next door to your job and walking out the front door for a two-minute commute on foot? If so, you were extraordinarily fortunate, but it shouldn't be any problem at all getting used to a ten-mile (one way) commute, especially with light traffic. Lord Almighty!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2016, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,415 posts, read 17,378,768 times
Reputation: 14073
I'd love to only travel 20 miles/30 minutes per work day. No, I don't think 10 miles is too far to drive to work. Enjoy your easier life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2016, 02:59 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Reputation: 9808
It depends, the commute time is not always in proportion to the miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2016, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
Reputation: 32304
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It depends, the commute time is not always in proportion to the miles.
The OP gave us the commute time in the original post (15 minutes).

Last edited by Escort Rider; 03-20-2016 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2016, 03:42 PM
 
6,211 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Reputation: 12697
Are you sure you will qualify for full medical benefits when only working 10-20 hours/week?


If so that would make your plan worthwhile. If not, I would consider working full time for year or so. Being retired means lots of freedom to do what you want to do and when you want to do it, including extended travel. I would not want to be tied down by a part time job.

Last edited by jrkliny; 03-20-2016 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2016, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Reputation: 35562
Have you always worked from home or something? No one else would consider a 10 mile, 15 min. drive much of a commute at all, especially given it's only 2-3 times a week. Snow should only be an issue if it is a "back road" you're driving on that is not plowed or never is salted...unless of course you've never driven in snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2016, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,387 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Reputation: 13025
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm looking to retire at age 62 and plan on transferring my full time job to a part time job with the same company across country, buying a new home but continuing to work part time 10-20 hours a week until I'm 65.
There are some very nice small to mid size towns which I think would be perfect for me that are maybe about 10 miles from where i would be working. The distance at most would be about 10 miles or about a 15 minute drive. There's relatively little traffic in these parts but I may have to put up with some snow in the winter. Not lots of snow and ice but they do get some winter weather.
If you found your dream home in retirement in a nice little town, would you travel 10 miles each way 2-3 times a week to work a part time job or settle for a home that might not be so perfect but in the same town where you work and put up with the drive for 3 years until you retire fully?
My main reason for continuing to work those 3 years part time is for extra income and health benefits until I'm 65.
The big plus is you'll be established in your town before you retire. We did that. Moved here 13 years ago and I retired 3 months ago. Mrs5150 has a few more years to go. Nice to retire in your dream town and have friends, contacts in place along with a good mechanic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2016, 04:05 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Reputation: 9808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
The OP have us the commute time in the original post (15 minutes).
That's nothing if there is no traffic. But I see his snow comment, maybe it's a problem in winter My sister is glad to have a job with 20 miles commute, but she lives in California. No snow problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top