U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2016, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Reputation: 6716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In all fairness, if you live in Knoxville, you will not be running to Duke or Vanderbilt very much. When I was researching Knoxville, there is a medical school that is considered to be very good and could probably meet the needs of about 99.5% of all the needs of Tennesseans in the region.

I chose NOT to relocate to Knoxville or E. Tennessee. Health care or the lack of it was NOT an issue.

I know that in this this day of constant advertising by a few of the concierge hospitals like the Cleveland Clinic and Mayo would lead you to believe that you have to travel to get decent care. And that is what they want you to believe.
So where did you wind up (I'm sure you've mentioned it but I have forgotten)?

We are actually in a pretty unusual situation. We didn't take medical stuff into account when we moved here 20 years ago (when we were 50ish). At all. But Mayo JAX - which was only an infant with a few doctors when we moved here - is now a major medical center (with a new big deal hospital). And it's only 10-15 minutes away from our house. IOW - it didn't bring us here - but it's a factor when it comes to perhaps staying where we are. Like I said - our situation is probably very unusual. Luck of the draw.

Overall - the more I read here - the more inclined I am to think that although our situation isn't perfect - it's about 80% - and would be very hard to duplicate elsewhere. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2016, 05:13 PM
 
14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Reputation: 20084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
So where did you wind up (I'm sure you've mentioned it but I have forgotten)?

We are actually in a pretty unusual situation. We didn't take medical stuff into account when we moved here 20 years ago (when we were 50ish). At all. But Mayo JAX - which was only an infant with a few doctors when we moved here - is now a major medical center (with a new big deal hospital). And it's only 10-15 minutes away from our house. IOW - it didn't bring us here - but it's a factor when it comes to perhaps staying where we are. Like I said - our situation is probably very unusual. Luck of the draw.

Overall - the more I read here - the more inclined I am to think that although our situation isn't perfect - it's about 80% - and would be very hard to duplicate elsewhere. Robyn

I ended up about 20 miles south of Tucson in Green Valley, AZ.

When we relocated, I made sure that the local hospitals could handle my chronic condition and that my wife could find a good orthopedist as she needed a knee replacement. As there is a medical school in Tucson and a few large "chain" hospitals, I was confident that we could find one.

One area of concern was a nearby emergency room but that has been addressed with the opening of a small community hospital. That place is not a Trauma center BUT it will do for nearly everything else.

The problem is that no place is perfect. The grocery store situation is less than ideal and the restaurants are such that we head to Tucson ... but you work with what you have.

Life is a balancing act. If the presence of world-class health care was our number one concern in retirement, we would have relocated to Grand Rapids, MI or the Cleveland, OH area. Fortunately, it was one of three or four factors that guided our choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,266 posts, read 4,150,962 times
Reputation: 15701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm about ready to put that old bumper sticker on my car:

WE DON'T CARE HOW YOU DID YOU UP NORTH. Robyn

Reminds me of an old Alaska bumper sticker...


ALASKA FOR ALASKANS
YANKEE GO HOME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 PM
 
5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
Reputation: 4923
Quote:
Vanderbilt is a 3 hour drive from Knoxville - Duke is 5
like Jlawrence said, this is a very weird statement. What point are you trying to make? It just feels like you take every opportunity to brag that you are next door to Mayo clinic and everyone else is 2nd class citizens.

I can vouch that 2 yrs ago Park West hospital brought back my father from the dead (OK technically it was the medics and someone from the Drs office next to his physical therapy). Anyway Park West bypassed him and stitched him up, he's still with us 2 yrs later.

Jlawrence is right that 99% of medical needs are handled right in town. Burn victims go to Erlanger in Chattanooga. It is rare to hear of someone going to Duke or Vanderbilt, though it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 07:32 PM
 
5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
Reputation: 4923
Quote:
During one Christmas trip - the temp in the house wouldn't get above 60
Here's the deal. Your heat pump probably needed to be serviced. If the auxiliary heat was undersized the solution is to go to the dollar store and buy a couple of radiator heaters - plug them in on their lowest setting. After a couple of hours the rooms will warm up.

You won't get to go back to Florida and boo hoo about being sooo cold in the upper south, though. Too bad, so sad, there goes another bragging opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 09:16 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,679 posts, read 2,228,572 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

We moved to TN not solely for the lower COL, although that was a factor. We moved here because of the beauty of nature, nice 4 season weather w/o much snow, the ability to have a lake/golf lifestyle on our middle class budget, and the absolute kindness and generosity of everyone we met here. It's as if I've come home at last. We're not one-percenters, but we live a wonderful life in TN.
.
We totally agree with you on your reasons for moving to Tennessee, especially the people we have met there. During our visits to Cookeville, we just started up conversations with people. Like the elderly gentleman in bib overalls at the IGA store. I nodded and said hello and he said hello and I remarked about the big thunderstorm the previous night and that led to about a fifteen minute conversation about Cookeville (where he had lived all his life). He also pointed me toward a nice piece of land to look at.

As we talked with people in restaurants, stores, in the park, etc, we met some from Florida, Texas, California and many who were born and raised there. Can't say that I got negative feelings from any of them. I know that everyone won't like us and we won't like everyone, but I think we are going to fit in just fine.

Like you the cost of living is a factor, but not the only factor. For us, the Hall Tax doesn't figure in at all (us not being in the 1%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In all fairness, if you live in Knoxville, you will not be running to Duke or Vanderbilt very much. When I was researching Knoxville, there is a medical school that is considered to be very good and could probably meet the needs of about 99.5% of all the needs of Tennesseans in the region.

I chose NOT to relocate to Knoxville or E. Tennessee. Health care or the lack of it was NOT an issue.

I know that in this this day of constant advertising by a few of the concierge hospitals like the Cleveland Clinic and Mayo would lead you to believe that you have to travel to get decent care. And that is what they want you to believe.
Taking a look at a map - it looks like you're in the eastern half of Tennessee (a little west of Knoxville). Or is that area considered central Tennessee?

I think you're probably right about the medical care. Up to the point where you need something major. For some people - that might be never. When it comes to our parents - my mother started having major issues in her 50's (resolved) - and had more issues in her 70's and 80's. My MIL and FIL started in their 70's. My father made it to 97 without major issues. But then he had a major issue which Mayo resolved in < 48 hours. Doubt any community hospital could have done what Mayo did so competently and quickly. One factor to keep in mind is that places/doctors that do a lot of X/Y/Z tend to have better outcomes than those that don't. So - although a place can say it does X/Y/Z - you want to make sure it's doing a lot of those things - not just doing them once a month.

Since my husband is in his 70's now - and I am getting there fast - I think it would be illogical for us to move to an area with medical care that is worse than what we have here. And someone considering a move in his/her 50's/60's should entertain the possibility that it won't be the last move. FWIW - neither of us has had anything major for quite a few decades now. And it is possible that the kind of preventive and similar care we get at Mayo now may help us to avoid anything major. For example - my husband went to a cardiologist shortly after we moved here - almost 20 years ago - and she said he needed a new heart valve . We freaked and got on a plane to Mayo in Rochester to get a second opinion. And the doctor there - one of the 2 best valve repair surgeons in the US according to doctors in my family (which is why we went to him) - told us the local cardiologist was full of it. My husband gets checked out once a year now. And - so far so good. My late MIL wasn't as lucky. She had an ill-advised operation at a local community hospital - and wound up as an invalid for many years before she died. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
That maybe but.... They have never met someone like me either. I did the general contractor on my house.
That would present a whole 'nother set of problems. At least where I live. Our local building inspectors tend to give people who act as their own GCs a hard time. People who act as their own GCs also have a harder time finding good local subs (who are usually working for their "regular" GCs). There are also a host of legal issues to deal with - like mechanics' liens. The legal issues will of course vary from state to state - but they can be quite confusing if you're not a lawyer experienced in the area. Overall - I'd be very wary of trying to be my own GC - especially in a new unfamiliar area. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I ended up about 20 miles south of Tucson in Green Valley, AZ.

When we relocated, I made sure that the local hospitals could handle my chronic condition and that my wife could find a good orthopedist as she needed a knee replacement. As there is a medical school in Tucson and a few large "chain" hospitals, I was confident that we could find one.

One area of concern was a nearby emergency room but that has been addressed with the opening of a small community hospital. That place is not a Trauma center BUT it will do for nearly everything else.

The problem is that no place is perfect. The grocery store situation is less than ideal and the restaurants are such that we head to Tucson ... but you work with what you have.

Life is a balancing act. If the presence of world-class health care was our number one concern in retirement, we would have relocated to Grand Rapids, MI or the Cleveland, OH area. Fortunately, it was one of three or four factors that guided our choice.
One of my nieces went to medical school in Arizona - so I'm familiar with the medical situation in Tucson based on conversations with her. IMO - you live in a major metro area with good medical facilities (I'm not sure that Green Valley is officially part of the metro area - but 20 miles away isn't far at all). And my only point is seniors should think twice about moving to an area where the medical facilities are inferior or close to non-existent. Because most seniors will need medical facilities (some sooner - some later). FWIW - my youngest brother is a doctor and he lives in Phoenix (he's still working) - another major metro area with lots of good medical facilities (he doesn't think much of Mayo in Arizona - but I'm not familiar with it at all).

When it comes to being close to a trauma center - especially a level 1 trauma center - they are few and far between. Fewer than 10 level 1 places in the whole state of Florida. But most/all(?) have helicopter systems to airlift patients to hospitals (often from motor vehicle accident scenes). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,851,516 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That would present a whole 'nother set of problems. At least where I live. Our local building inspectors tend to give people who act as their own GCs a hard time. People who act as their own GCs also have a harder time finding good local subs (who are usually working for their "regular" GCs). There are also a host of legal issues to deal with - like mechanics' liens. The legal issues will of course vary from state to state - but they can be quite confusing if you're not a lawyer experienced in the area. Overall - I'd be very wary of trying to be my own GC - especially in a new unfamiliar area. Robyn


The thing is on doing heating in the floor it only requires access to the subfloor. Either from below or above. I know how to do it and the only thing I would need is for someone to install the heat source, whether it is an oil furnace or a gas (natural or propane), electrical. It is not rocket science. I can do the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top