U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 AM

11,941 posts, read 20,414,269 times

Advertisements

When I go back east, I take Ghiradelli chocolates. The wee ones are older, so I'll be hauling back coloring books for them, too. It's more that I'm Aunt WhoBringsFun....and I enjoy it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 10:15 AM

33,933 posts, read 42,196,076 times
The last one I visited I took a 28 ft. ladder and a chain saw.

They usually bring their appetites.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 AM

1,662 posts, read 1,530,329 times
Whether their adult children live far away or 2-3 hours away, most of my friends and family may bring household items or tools that they know their kids need if they are driving. It's more likely they will buy them groceries, fill up their gas tank, take them shopping, and take them out to eat. My older brother is very handy and will do home repairs or work on cars during the visit. Their children usually bring nothing but the grandchildren. Most of these adult children are struggling financially. When I visit relatives in Texas, I bring tamales.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,537,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Depends on your family and where they or you live. When I moved away from the SF Bay Area and my family still lived there, whenever they'd come visit I'd ask them to bring me sourdough bread. That was way back before you could pretty much buy anything anywhere.

They also used to send me Sees candies, which are the best chocolates/candy you've ever tasted, which are only available on the west coast.

Even when my daughter lived close by, I'd bring her things I knew she liked and didn't normally splurge on. Expensive tequila, for instance :-)
sourdough bread when I was leaving S.F. was what I did buy to bring home.

People still recall that bread and how great it was. Guess as in Logan, fish or one special one is on a wish list.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:04 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times
I will answer this from the other side of the coin; what I bring my parents when I visit them.

Last year I visited my family for the first time since moving out. I brought little souvenirs for my parents and siblings. Mugs, shot glasses, little things like that. When I visit this April, I want to bring food items that you don't find much of outside of Texas. Whataburger spicy ketchup, Big Red soda, a gallon of Chicken Express sweet tea, little things like that. When I left after my last visit, my mom packed some desserts in tupperware to take for the road. I enjoy sharing a little piece of my new home to my folks at my old home, and coming back with something else from home. Food is always nice!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:17 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,835,161 times
When I was young my grandmother always brought presents when she came to visit from California. Now that I live in Florida I do the same when I visit the grandkids in Oklahoma. And they usually have some 'artwork' from school for us to bring home

Old 03-21-2016, 05:38 PM

62 posts, read 46,941 times
No one in my family brings gifts. I can see though if one person had access to something very special that another family member misses. That is a very different scenario. It would seem it is a family thing worked out on an individual basis and there are no set "norms" to follow here. I feel it is enough to spend time with family and no gifts are required.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:26 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,032,613 times
Our kids are 3100 miles away. We bring our appetites.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:41 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,687,027 times
Gifts? I should be getting gifts??? Actually -- nothing other than maybe a book we read or a music CD we liked
and lots of stories. Daughter says she wants nothing and I have no more room for anything new.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 PM

23,649 posts, read 17,623,979 times
I like a certain brand of sausage from Tennessee - Swaggerty's. The mass market sausage brands suck, and the only sausage that even comes close to Swaggerty's is from a local farmer's market. Mom found a local grocery store selling Swaggerty's Googling around. I went out there about 8:30, bought a roll, seasoned it up, and cut up and fried the whole roll. Glad to have my sausage back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or