U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Retirement: cost of living, taxes, renting a home, housing, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:29 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,806,958 times

Advertisements

Well, we've not yet retired (about a decade off) but we have settled on a retirement destination and purchased an acre to retire on.

Our primary consideration was climate. Having lived FOREVER in Seattle and the cool cloudy Pacific Northwest my wife and I wanted someplace fairly warm and SUNNY so we started looking at Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and Utah. Upon reviewing climate information it soon became clear that New Mexico, Utah, and all but the southern parts of Nevada and Arizona were too cold for us in the winter. However we didn't want it to be an oven so that left out southern Nevada and SW Arizona. As it turned out SE Arizona suited our climatic requirements perfectly (around 60 for highs in Jan with average summer highs "merely" in the low 90's and upper 80's). Our land is 40 minutes from downtown Tucson and 10 minutes from the town of Benson (which has most of the shopping we require). We are 4 minutes from I-10 but backed up against state land that is unlikely to ever be developed.

We are very pleased and can hardly wait to move down there.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 AM

1,848 posts, read 6,252,613 times
Well I haven't decided for sure yet. I have a place in mind but it will depend on how things are in a couple of years. Things like housing prices and populations can change.

First I made a list of things we had to have.
1.prefer a small city
2.hospital nearby
3.library
4.stores such as grocery and hardware in town
5.not too expensive
6.Not much extreme weather

Once I had some places on my list I lowered it down by using a second list of things we'd like such as:
1. A body of water close to the city
2. No high crime rates
3. Good scenery
4. a variety of homes to choose from
5. Close to a freeway for travel
6. A population with a fair amount of older folks
7. some good resturants
8. Located in the west
9. No high property tax

Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,059,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting Down View Post
Some great ideas! I especially love those of you who literally had a formal process... that's just the way I'm approaching it, but your ideas really help. Dave_n_Tenn, love your matrix idea for merging your priorities with your wife's, and LauraC... the two lists seems promising too! Might be a good idea for someone with the time to create a Retirement Location Selection guide using these ideas. Throw in the fact that with so many people vocalizing the items they thought were important considerations a master list of 'factors' could be developed to help. Hmmmm... sounds like a good shareware computer program eh?

Keep those ideas comming... I love hearing your methods!
I find this thread to be useful too, but I'm not sure you could really do a program. There are web sites that give you a quiz and suggest places, but they don't do a very good job for me. The answers and even the questions that matter is such an individual choice. Not one person has listed what I want. Which is to be expected, since it is what they want. I've made my lists and because I've traveled quite a bit and have lived in different areas, some is based on first hand impressions or experience. I've narrowed it down to a most likely place. My plan is to do a test live in the area for about a month during the worst weather time of year before I make a final decision. The beauty of retirement is that I don't have to do anything before I'm ready.

And if I end up choosing wrong, I can always move again.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 AM

34,708 posts, read 33,729,968 times
I forgot one thing and this has more to do with relocation than it does retirement. If you are fleeing some intolerable condition in your current location, don't overcompensate/go to extremes. For example, if you can't stand the traffic in downtown Big City (population 800,000) that doesn't mean you are well-suited to Bible Mountain (population 1,500). Once the move is made and the intolerable condition is gone, you'll wonder what you're doing there.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,825,651 times
Our situation was that we were looking for a location that had constructive activities for our adult mentally handicapped daughter, who still lives with us. We were willing to make the cost tradeoffs for this single benefit, so we ended up moving from the midwest to California.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,840,353 times
Like most of you, we made two lists--primary considerations and secondary considerations. That narrowed it down to about 24 places. Then we began visiting them, and asking everyone we knew about them. We watched for stories on the news and did research at the library and on the internet.

The deciding factor was a sense of "feeling we were home." The one we chose was a bit of a surprise. I thought we would choose a beach community--but a little mountain town made it onto the lists. When we visited it, we "knew." I can't really explain it, we just "knew" it was the right place.

After we decided, I subscribed to the town newspaper and continued to do research, almost trying to talk myself out of this decision. The more I learned, the more I like the town--so in December we bought a place.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:01 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,689,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Like most of you, we made two lists--primary considerations and secondary considerations. That narrowed it down to about 24 places. Then we began visiting them, and asking everyone we knew about them. We watched for stories on the news and did research at the library and on the internet.

The deciding factor was a sense of "feeling we were home." The one we chose was a bit of a surprise. I thought we would choose a beach community--but a little mountain town made it onto the lists. When we visited it, we "knew." I can't really explain it, we just "knew" it was the right place.

After we decided, I subscribed to the town newspaper and continued to do research, almost trying to talk myself out of this decision. The more I learned, the more I like the town--so in December we bought a place.
In Loudoun County?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times
We are looking at retiring in a year and were lucky becuase the area we will move to is one that we have spent a great deal of time in thru the years. The only difference is that we have decided to move closer to a medium city because of speaking to others that retired there. I recently retired early and my wife will be 57 when she retires a year from how. But several things we have learned from others is that good medical facilities close by are important as well as good shopping.Everybody we talked to say to think about when your in your 60's and 70's when deciding where you will live in a area;if you plan on staying.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,840,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
In Loudoun County?
LOL, no--down in the hill country of North Georgia. We haven't moved yet.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:08 PM

365 posts, read 1,131,356 times
This thread is extremely helpful for me. Thanks to all of you who have responded.

DH could retire this year but probably won't. (He's one of those people who will die at his desk.) And I won't retire fully for 5 years. However, DH does agree he's ready to leave his job for something less demanding, and I work at home and could live anywhere, so we just sold our condo and are going to rent an apt for a year while we figure out where we'd like to live and what we'd like to do for the rest of our lives (!).

How did you decide whether you should rent or buy property for your retirement? I understand renting at first, particularly if you're moving to another area—we hope to move out of the city and into a smaller town or maybe even rural area. (I grew up in the country, so yes, I know what I'm getting into. Not sure DH does, tho.)

I once heard Suze Orman advise someone that, if you only have a little money, you should rent rather than buy, because you will need cash for bills and expenses. DH and I have enough to pay cash for property, but wouldn't have a lot leftover if we did. However, I feel like I need the security of owning my own home, as small and modest as it might be. We know we do not want a mortgage, but maybe that's not a bad thing either?

What's better: renting or buying? And what about a mortgage at this late date in life? (DH is 62; I'm 57.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or