U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:05 PM

13,789 posts, read 8,651,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious folk View Post
I wanted to work until I was 70, which the experts say I could get the best bang for my buck in Social Security. My wife and I figured that if we both retired at age 70 we could live on Social Security and anything else we had saved would be extra.

But the company both of us worked for laid off a good number of it's staff and we were both laid off the same day. Both of us are 61 and can't collect SS for another year.

We have $400K saved, should we just retire and move to a place with a very low cost of living?

(They say it is nearly impossible to find another full time job at our age unless you have unique skills.)

Anyone here face a layoff before you were ready to retire? What did you do?
We didn't. Our Manufacturer's Rep business folded when we were 60, and all our suppliers went out of business.

So I drove a truck for 5 years. It was an absolutely great decision! It gave me a place to buy health insurance and paid about what I would have earned anywhere. That was from '05 to '10, and the recession never effected me. Got the house paid off and retired on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:38 PM

13,072 posts, read 15,445,590 times
I would just retire in your situation. I'm 58 and just changed careers in the last two years because my 35 year career was being eliminated by technology. It's not easy at this age to go from something you know like the back of your hand to something new. If I had been just a little bit older, I would have retired instead.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM

1,888 posts, read 2,310,381 times
Very few people can retire by their plan. Life gets in the way. Best laid plans, etc.. Health, job, family, economy, etc'' can alter retirement plans. If you want retire at 70 then by all means try to find another job, but starting a new job or career at 61 can be very difficult.

BTW taking SS at 70 is not the best bang for the buck. Every bodies situation is deferent and for some the smartest time to take SS is at 62.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:58 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,084,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Very few people can retire by their plan. Life gets in the way. Best laid plans, etc.. Health, job, family, economy, etc'' can alter retirement plans. If you want retire at 70 then by all means try to find another job, but starting a new job or career at 61 can be very difficult.

BTW taking SS at 70 is not the best bang for the buck. Every bodies situation is deferent and for some the smartest time to take SS is at 62.
I am 55 and would like to take SS at 62 and enjoy retirement. I would get more by waiting until 67 but not sure I can work that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement