U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 12:59 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times

Advertisements

I live in a 55+ mobile home park in Lakeland which is between Orlando and Tampa. It's a city of about 100000 in population. If anyone is interested in cheaper options to retire this might help. Homes here in this park are older, but very well kept. Many are owned by Canadian Snowbirds. Alot of the homes are up for sale because of the devaluation of their currency. They are just losing to much money now and no longer want to keep a house in Fla. They are selling homes from $2000 to $6000. Many of these homes include the furnishings incl washer and dryer. These are single wide approx 56 ft in length with carport and Fla room and shed. Lot rent is under $400 per month, which is low for Florida. This is a good cheaper option to retire in Fla. A well maintained home for a really low price. This area is not a gay Mecca, not a big population of gay people in Lakeland. So for socializing that means a drive to St Pete. The St Pete area would be much more congested to live as well as higher cost. Lakeland is a close by cheaper alternative.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 PM

359 posts, read 317,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live in a 55+ mobile home park in Lakeland which is between Orlando and Tampa. It's a city of about 100000 in population. If anyone is interested in cheaper options to retire this might help. Homes here in this park are older, but very well kept. Many are owned by Canadian Snowbirds. Alot of the homes are up for sale because of the devaluation of their currency. They are just losing to much money now and no longer want to keep a house in Fla. They are selling homes from $2000 to $6000. Many of these homes include the furnishings incl washer and dryer. These are single wide approx 56 ft in length with carport and Fla room and shed. Lot rent is under $400 per month, which is low for Florida. This is a good cheaper option to retire in Fla. A well maintained home for a really low price. This area is not a gay Mecca, not a big population of gay people in Lakeland. So for socializing that means a drive to St Pete. The St Pete area would be much more congested to live as well as higher cost. Lakeland is a close by cheaper alternative.
Thanks for the heads-up. This price level amazes me. Just checked Zillow and found several double wides in the $10K range. Is this park only for low-income seniors? $400/mo space rent doesn't seem unreasonable. Are there hefty HOA fees in addition?

In my experience, seniors aren't the most gay-friendly folk. Have you experienced any homophobia in the park? Other than traveling to St. Pete's to socialize, what do you consider the park's (or Lakeland's) biggest downside?

Old 03-26-2016, 12:25 AM

177 posts, read 193,766 times
Also, what about power bills are those homes expensive to cool in the summer?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Also, what about power bills are those homes expensive to cool in the summer?
Mine ran around $100 and then $36 for trash pickup and sewage. It's paid in one bill to the electric company. I doubt everyone is paying what I pay for electricity. I am rarely ever home during the daytime. I set my therm at 88 during the day and around 80 for later. It doesn't come on much during the evening as I use several overhead fans. I'm sure people that stay home all day, and keep their therm in the 70s pay closer to $200.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. This price level amazes me. Just checked Zillow and found several double wides ipeople, that icould be myself with.$10K range. Is this park only for low-income seniors? $400/mo space rent doesn't seem unreasonable. Are there hefty HOA fees in addition?

In my experience, seniors aren't the most gay-friendly folk. Have you experienced any homophobia in the park? Other than traveling to St. Pete's to socialize, what do you consider the park's (or Lakeland's) biggest downside?
I will be honest with you. You are correct Seniors are not very gay friendly. I don't know why this is to the extent it is. My guess is many seem to be from conservative small town USA or Canada. They have little exposure to diversity of any kind. Anyone that is more open minded or has more exposure to different lifestyles. Then they don't seem to show up in retirement communities. Many gay people seem to be higher income and can afford to live in a different setting. As for me this is what I could afford and that is how I ended up here. It does have its cons and that is a lack of like minded friends. I'm hoping to bring some diversity to the area. I'm trying to give out some options for anyone needing a cheaper retirement location. As far as low income it does exist. However the majority in this park own a home here and in their home state or province. They don't seem to be scraping by considering they all seem to have new cars.

I haven't personally experience homophobia. I know there is ignorance here as many places. I say hi and some conversations. I know not to expect much and I am protective of my privacy. I admit I would love to have conversations with people. that I could be myself with

Last edited by Jimrob1; 03-26-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 07:52 AM

Biggest downside is ... The area is overly conservative.. For being in a state that draws populations from all over. I just don't understand how things stay this way. Coming here one has to accept what it is, and realize there is a drive elsewhere to meet like-minded people. You can't have everything in life. For me I made the choice I could not live in St Pete, just because it was more friendly. I needed cheaper and I needed much less cogestion. Lakeland gives me that and I can visit congested St Pete.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:56 AM

There are no HOA fees beyond a $15.00 per year membership. The membership keeps the lot rent from going up anymore than $20 per year.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 AM

359 posts, read 317,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Biggest downside is ... The area is overly conservative.. For being in a state that draws populations from all over. I just don't understand how things stay this way. Coming here one has to accept what it is, and realize there is a drive elsewhere to meet like-minded people. You can't have everything in life. For me I made the choice I could not live in St Pete, just because it was more friendly. I needed cheaper and I needed much less cogestion. Lakeland gives me that and I can visit congested St Pete.
Thanks for the additional info. In my first post yesterday , it occurred to me that you might be leading the charge for more diversity in your park - understandably so.

One of my big concerns about Florida is hurricanes. The coaches in your park appear to have been there a long time from the listings I see on Zillow, so is your area less prone to them?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Thanks for the additional info. In my first post yesterday , it occurred to me that you might be leading the charge for more diversity in your park - understandably so.

One of my big concerns about Florida is hurricanes. The coaches in your park appear to have been there a long time from the listings I see on Zillow, so is your area less prone to them?
Yes I am looking for some much needed diversity here. Things don't change until people learn to live all over. So many people feel we need to live in certain areas based on who we are etc etc. I think just the opposite. I don't care for the segregation of people in this country.

Yes these homes have been here for decades. You would never know it with many of them. Very well kept and landscaped and decorated. There is protection from hurricanes as Lakeland is some 50 miles inland from the Gulf. The Atlantic side of the state is a good 90 miles from here. So hurricanes have done minimal damage here. That was another reason I chose this area, some protection from hurricanes. If your on the coast besides the expense is the threat from storms is much worse. This area being central interior Florida offers some form of a buffer zone from the big storms. That's not to say it will never happen. It depends where they hit and how strong they are

Old 03-26-2016, 10:33 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,295,185 times
What do you do about insurance on those homes ? Any built prior to 1976 may be impossible to insure. No matter how well kept, mobile homes depreciate.

Do people keep insurance on the older homes? Do they think they need it ? Does the park require it ? Those are amazing prices on some of those properties and maybe could be seen as good deals for someone who needs that price point. Just curious about the insurance factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or