U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2016, 01:47 PM
 
147 posts, read 126,461 times
Reputation: 148

Advertisements

Assume that your house is paid off, you live in a low/no income tax state, and your health insurance is paid for (thru VA, or pension, or whatever), how much per month do you need to live on . . . not just survive . . . but be comfortable by your own standards..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2016, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,485 posts, read 5,947,197 times
Reputation: 16194
Oh boy, here we go.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 PM
 
Location: WA
5,398 posts, read 21,417,446 times
Reputation: 5903
The answers will vary greatly since each has their own situation so the average will be pretty meaningless. On this board we have seen most monthly needs vary from about $1500 to $9000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:11 PM
 
29,818 posts, read 34,907,142 times
Reputation: 11735
You are asking us to define and contrast with others. Thus setting the potential for conflict right from the start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:25 PM
 
13,981 posts, read 7,452,675 times
Reputation: 25550
$5,000 after-tax plus health care sustains my lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:29 PM
 
147 posts, read 126,461 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You are asking us to define and contrast with others. Thus setting the potential for conflict right from the start!
Nope, I'm just honestly interested in if there is a consensus out there, particularly among early retirees who are actually doing it. I suspect most early retirees will come in with a number around $2500-4000 a month, under the above assumptions. Of course money doesn't guarantee happiness, but for those considering early retirement, and living frugally sooner rather than later, concrete numbers can give guidance.

I'd say that I could do it fairly comfortably on $4500 a month pre-tax (considering my hobbies and tastes), but my wife would probably want a reliable income above $6000 a month to sleep well at night and do what she wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:32 PM
 
71,855 posts, read 71,919,037 times
Reputation: 49413
how long should a rope be ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,485 posts, read 5,947,197 times
Reputation: 16194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGittes65 View Post
Nope, I'm just honestly interested in if there is a consensus out there, particularly among early retirees who are actually doing it. I suspect most early retirees will come in with a number around $2500-4000 a month, under the above assumptions. Of course money doesn't guarantee happiness, but for those considering early retirement, and living frugally sooner rather than later, concrete numbers can give guidance.

I'd say that I could do it fairly comfortably on $4500 a month pre-tax (considering my hobbies and tastes), but my wife would probably want a reliable income above $6000 a month to sleep well at night and do what she wants.
How much do you live on now? Deduct work expenses and that could be your number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,377 posts, read 3,716,488 times
Reputation: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGittes65 View Post
Assume that your house is paid off, you live in a low/no income tax state, and your health insurance is paid for (thru VA, or pension, or whatever), how much per month do you need to live on . . . not just survive . . . but be comfortable by your own standards..?
You might get better answers with a pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:50 PM
 
71,855 posts, read 71,919,037 times
Reputation: 49413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
How much do you live on now? Deduct work expenses and that could be your number.
except with all that time to fill many folks need more then they did working , at least early on .

i spent very little on trips and doing things when i was working . today we have a huge budget for trips and going places .

we just got back from disney with the kids and grand kids . we are in manhattan more now then i think in my entire life , and i was born here .

time can cost money and retirement is just filled with time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top