U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:48 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times

Advertisements

Hadn't considered hearing loss. That's a good point! Since women generally live longer than men it makes sense many of these women are widows. Widows used to having a companion to do things with. They probably seldom ever went out alone.

I am a widow too but I also have a new SO. If I stop and think about it, many of the things I enjoy doing, I would not do alone. We both enjoy the local live music scene. If I was alone it's not likely I would go hang out at the local bar and listen. Not likely I would go out to a restaurant alone either.

I traveled extensively for work so I have done these things by myself. But I would always prefer company.

The bra point is valid too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 03:59 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,058,472 times
@yellowsnow: Vegas is too exciting to stay in all the time.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:59 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,072,525 times
I am secluded like your neighbors. I'm over 60 and suffer with continuous depression despite medications. It is difficult to go places even to get groceries.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:03 PM

6,573 posts, read 1,357,711 times
I am 62. and I would be a shut-in if not for my husband, my dog, and my part-time job because I am an introvert who would rather read or communicate online than do almost anything else -- plus whenever I drive somewhere, it usually costs money in one way or another.

However, that being said, I still think it is very beneficial for everyone (not just older people) to get away from their homes at least twice a week, and I think they should be encouraged to do so.

P.S. As a side note, I have found it very difficult to make in-person friends, which has also been discussed on another thread -- "Difficulty in Making Friends Over the Age of 50", which is linked below. I really do think there should be a "friends matching" service, just like online dating services. I think that anyone who could create such a thing might make a fortune!

Difficulty in Making Friends After 50: Why and How to Fix THis?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:40 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - I don't color my hair - its is gray - so I don't follow the "rules". But I do keep it looking nice.

A lot of us might complain about saggy pant wearing youth, but hey as long as they are comfy - right

BTW - I do wear lower waisted pants and boy are they comfortable. Hey maybe those youngsters are on to something!

Yep - and since when does looking nice equal uncomfortable? I don't think you or anyone else is suggesting a girdle/hose/pencil skirt & stillettos. I've heard that comfortable excuse far too many times - it is just an excuse.

Dressing sloppy tells me how you feel about yourself. I was reading a thread debating going out in public in hair rollers and pajamas - huh?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:52 PM

13,043 posts, read 15,397,378 times
My mom (actually stepmom) was very social and would have been the one out talking to everyone if she could. Her congestive heart failure kept her from doing that. My dad was the homebody. He was content to stay home and never see anyone.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:51 PM

6,812 posts, read 3,867,159 times
I'm 68 and my husband is 75. When we saw that our associations were shrinking we took actions to prevent it. We became active in our local senior center first, which helped tremendously for several years, We also volunteered at the food bank.

When our large house and yard became isolating and a burden, we sold and moved into an active 55+ community. Everyone here is in the same boat, and it has been easy to make friends. There are groups for every imaginable interest, so it's fun to pursue hobbies along with others instead of sitting home alone. Even though driving at night on public roads may be somewhat difficult, it's easy around our community because there is so little traffic and you can just drive slowly.

My mother became one of the "home bound by choice ladies", and I refuse to let it happen to me as long as I can prevent it.

Last edited by Harpaint; 03-22-2016 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: "

Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
Maybe they've discovered the world of the internet and are busy having fun on City Data and other sites.

I don't see young people "out in the neighborhood" either any more.

Maybe they're sick and tired of being told what to do and where to go by their husbands.

My neighbor told me last time she went to Walmart her husband nagged her the entire time about what items she did or didn't put in the cart.

I had to laugh, being single for most of my life, why ANYONE would put up with that. And it's her second marriage, only 15 years and she's 65. NOT 85.

"Can't get them out of the house" to do what would probably answer some of the question.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:46 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
@yellowsnow: Vegas is too exciting to stay in all the time.
True! One of the reasons I picked it!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:06 PM

13,668 posts, read 8,580,903 times
"Senior Center", someone said.
Ain't gonna happen! I'm 71 and I just don't like being around old people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or