Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:19 AM

88,492 posts, read 84,635,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
So if your grandchildren move away you'll have no reason to get out of bed in the a.m.?
I hope not! I have one child and she will never have children so I will never be a grandmother. I hope I will find good reasons to keep getting out of the house anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:23 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Clearly people differ greatly but this thread does seem to point out a pattern. The pattern might be related to some older patterns; i.e., stereotypes.

Especially for the older generations, women were more centered around the home and family. They always got out of the house less often. Those who worked often worked less and had fewer enjoyment and opportunities in work. BTW this trend seems to have come to a screeching halt in my extended family. There are 3 families with young kids and in each case the male has stayed at home raising the kids while the females have been working and pursuing careers.

There is another pattern-stereotype that has not changed. Women are way more interested in looks, clothing and fashion. This is still very apparent at the local malls. There are few men and they look bored and impatient while the women of all ages continue to shop until they drop. In addition to the clothing, women want to get made up, decked out and then go some place to show off. Men have been more likely to be interested in outdoor activities, sporting events, golf, hunting, etc. In older age the men can continue with previous hobbies. There is less and less point for elderly women to get dressed and show off. That typically ends with the passing of serious sexual activity.

There is one more point that has to be mentioned. There are way more older women sitting in their houses because a lot of the men have already died off.
hahaha - glad to know what I'm facing - now I don't need my crystal ball!

BTW - the NEXT generation of women won't be in the malls - they're shopping online....and "serious activity" just may last a lot longer than you think...if the guy is able and willing. What is "non-serious" activity, anyway?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,257,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Obviously, Clemencia meant 'presentable' according to a person's own idea of presentable.

Around the house I can wear holey shirts or ragged sweatpants. If I have to go out, I put different clothes on. Not because I'm concerned about what others might think of me, but because I believe that holey shirts and ragged sweatpants are not 'presentable'.

Chill...
yes - I don't color my hair - its is gray - so I don't follow the "rules". But I do keep it looking nice.

A lot of us might complain about saggy pant wearing youth, but hey as long as they are comfy - right

BTW - I do wear lower waisted pants and boy are they comfortable. Hey maybe those youngsters are on to something!

Old 03-22-2016, 10:29 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,116 times
Many women get to a certain mature age.....and don't care what other people think about them aging. I don't think it has anything to do with "losing the ability to turn heads.."...as much as health issues, arthritis, balance issues, losing hearing and eyesight, losing many friends who they were part of a reason to get out.
My step mother is now 88, and she is far more active than I am at 54. She dresses nicely, goes to church and several local activities, has resumed her swimming for her health.
It all just depends on the person.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,042,968 times
And on the flip side: there are many retirees who do get out and about but their 'watchful" neighbors aren't watching at the times they come and go.

I have so much going on in my retirement I never really paid any attention.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,640,610 times
I am coming to terms with the fact that I spend a lot of time at home. I like to read whether it's books or on the computer. I just realized that this is just "me." I have always liked to stay home and read. I do genealogy too--that's another solitary pursuit. I would love to do art work too if only we had some place around here to take art classes. I love the social aspect of taking an art class with other people.

But most other women my age are out playing bridge, organizing church events, walking several miles a day, meeting for lunch, shopping. I don't enjoy those things. I have a few volunteer activities that get me out of the house, especially in the summer when we can actually GET out, but it's hard to find things around here that interest me. I do like to go for drives and take pictures and I love to travel. Other than that, I can usually be found home reading or at the library, getting a book or participating in book club discussions. But I was always like that.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:43 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,697,568 times
Okay, I'll admit it - some days the biggest deterrent to going out is having to put on a bra.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,257,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Okay, I'll admit it - some days the biggest deterrent to going out is having to put on a bra.
sadly, I live on the second busiest street of our very small town. Never know who or what is going to stop by.

I will go out in whatever to greet the 9AM Saturday morning people that want to "save me". They stopped after a while.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,361,812 times
My mom was active right up to about age 82, priding herself in walking a mile every day into the square to do light shopping and then taking the bus back home. She had girlfriends and even a reciprocal 8 p.m. phone call she set up with a buddy to assure they were both okay. What happened was she got shingles and it knocked her for a loop. Once recovered, she felt vulnerable, she kept talking about the shingles. I think she was left with some residual nerve pain. She learned the art of ordering in, she felt comfortable and safe in her home. She died at age 84.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:57 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,683,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I am coming to terms with the fact that I spend a lot of time at home. I like to read whether it's books or on the computer. I just realized that this is just "me." I have always liked to stay home and read. I do genealogy too--that's another solitary pursuit. I would love to do art work too if only we had some place around here to take art classes. I love the social aspect of taking an art class with other people.

But most other women my age are out playing bridge, organizing church events, walking several miles a day, meeting for lunch, shopping. I don't enjoy those things. I have a few volunteer activities that get me out of the house, especially in the summer when we can actually GET out, but it's hard to find things around here that interest me. I do like to go for drives and take pictures and I love to travel. Other than that, I can usually be found home reading or at the library, getting a book or participating in book club discussions. But I was always like that.

I see me in the above (if I ever get to retire).

I've mostly worked two jobs, so I'm not home much. I would love to stay home. I worked hard for that house -- I should be there, inside, enjoying it.

I have many, many hobbies and am waiting for the time to be able to stay home and do them.

With the internet and all the different forums and social platforms, you still have interaction with people (and like another poster said, you don't have to put on a bra )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement