U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:49 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,138,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post

My goal is to be retired for longer than I worked, which is going to be kinda hard since I worked for 40 years. I'll have to live to 102. 35 years to go!
My goal has long been to spend twice as many years collecting my pension as I spent earning it. I worked for it for 28 years and started collecting it age 55. So 28 times 2 = 56 plus 55 years at start means living until I'm about 111.

I've been collecting for just over 11 years so far.

As Tommy from Car Talk used to say - SO FAR, SO GOOD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,219,341 times
Don't worry ladies. The "study" estimated the working capacity of men, not women.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w21939.pdf

Old 03-23-2016, 09:48 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,148,021 times
But, the reason I retired was to free up my job for some 30ish person!

Public service.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 AM

446 posts, read 553,674 times
I retired at 55 when my employer of 20 years went broke.

We were bought by a foreign entity that had no idea of how to run a business and compete in the U.S. market. First thing they did was fire 90% of the American workers.

I was in Information technology. Age discrimination in that field is so bad it's really hard for someone my age to get a job. Or someone male. Or white. Or American. H1b visa's baby, that's all employers want anymore.

So don't tell me to work when I can't. After spending 30 years designing computer systems that ran million dollar business I'm not going to get a job at Walmart.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:23 AM

3,989 posts, read 2,544,884 times
At almost 73 I work on things around the house and right now on my car with a lot of newspaper reading breaks. But I can see many people in my seniors group at church starting at around 77 go to groups at church and stores and things but that's about it. My friend at 75 pretty well doe's nothing it seems.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:02 PM

33,897 posts, read 42,143,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Tell that the young slackers I read on other forums who want to retire in their 30s and 40s.

It seems, when I read them here, that they think that we Boomers walked into jobs at 18 and retired after 20 years. Meanwhile we increased our SS benefits in the 1960s by passing Medicare.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:29 PM

56,104 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It seems, when I read them here, that they think that we Boomers walked into jobs at 18 and retired after 20 years. Meanwhile we increased our SS benefits in the 1960s by passing Medicare.
Yes, it's even worse when you worked in the public sector. I don't tell everyone I'm in a state pension system. Some view us as parasites.

However. For the last fifteen years of my career, my job was to ensure that proposals for engineering and other professional services were solicited on a fair and competitive basis with no interference from outside or political influence, as was too often the case in the past. Then I would have to go in and negotiate down the prices.

Over the years, I saved the public millions of dollars--14 million once over the life of ONE project. So there!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:14 PM

3,977 posts, read 1,116,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, it's even worse when you worked in the public sector. I don't tell everyone I'm in a state pension system. Some view us as parasites.

However. For the last fifteen years of my career, my job was to ensure that proposals for engineering and other professional services were solicited on a fair and competitive basis with no interference from outside or political influence, as was too often the case in the past. Then I would have to go in and negotiate down the prices.

Over the years, I saved the public millions of dollars--14 million once over the life of ONE project. So there!
I hear that! In Oregon the Public Employee Retirement System is highly controversial, even though it's one of the better public pensions in the US. Retirees get called "greedy" even though we had no control over the pension system. We've learned to be pretty quiet about our finances.

I get tired of hearing how lazy and greedy state workers are. As with any business, you have good and not so good employees. In the 30+ years I worked for the state, I found most of my co-workers were highly dedicated and cared a great deal about providing the best service they could.

Thank you for your service Mightyqueen801 and, enjoy your retirement!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:19 PM

6,579 posts, read 3,670,806 times
I'm waiting for my job offer from Cato Institute.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:28 PM

4,845 posts, read 4,959,765 times
I started my first job at age 9 delivering newspapers. I retired last fall at age 66.

I think 57 years of working was enough.

I'm glad I put 35 of those years into SS at the max "contribution".

I was a "Maker" for most of my life. Guess I'm now a "Taker".

Cato can suck eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement