U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 PM

8,388 posts, read 9,134,430 times

Advertisements

About the same. Skiing, mtn biking have picked up a bit, but not the monthly cost. I do walk and hike more, so there is the shoe wear factor. Spend more on propane and wood for heat. Some days I will drive to town twice due to visiting. Instead of once for work. 10 miles. Restaurant stuff about the same except for that second trip with Mrs5150. She still works.

For me there is no " less expenses". Had a short commute-11 miles and a business very casual dress code. Wore jeans and button shirt for the last year of employment. So work clothes not an expense.

We moved to our retirement location 13 years before I retired and intend to stay so no changes there. Medicare plus supplement is cheaper that health ins so there is savings there. My post retirement income is about the same so it is a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 02:18 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,129,272 times
Assuming we will still be up for it when "retirement" arrives (if it ever does), there will be lots of temptations in terms of concerts, clubbing, bar hopping, etc. Even worse if weed becomes generally legal in many states (and noting that in two of the ones we are considering, it's already legal). It's going to be "interesting" to say the least.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 PM

628 posts, read 401,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Reading is my entertainment, I probably spend a few hundred for periodicals (yes, the paper ones) and probably fifteen hundred to two thousand for books in the course of the year. I seldom go to restaurants. I do have some collecting interests as well. The sky is the limit on those.
Yes to the paper books! I love the smell and the feel of new books...almost as much as old, worn books. I love to turn down pages that contain passages I will read over and over again...almost as much as I love keeping the pages in another book in pristine condition.

I mark up many books, highlighting, circling words and phrases and adding my own comments to the writers own. Later, I may look at a particularly "marked up" book and recall the circumstances in my own life at the time I did so, and how what I had read [and added to] impacted my own life.

Waking up to discover a book open face down on my chest or laid next to my face with my finger inserted at the place I had fallen asleep while reading is like being greeted by a dear friend.

A kindle has its' purpose, I know, but to truly be transported into an entirely new and different world, nothing, IMHO, beats a "real" book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or