U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:31 AM

16,339 posts, read 10,327,920 times

Advertisements

Check references of the horse movers. Also, have your horses ever been moved before? If not you might try loading them and see how they react. That long a distance could be very stressful for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 AM

30,677 posts, read 49,430,310 times
A friend of ours [that we met on this forum] moved from NJ to ME, she stored all her stuff in a 40' container. We let her drop it in our driveway, while she was shopping for land to build a log cabin on. Then she moved the container to sit behind her cabin.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:16 AM

92 posts, read 188,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A friend of ours [that we met on this forum] moved from NJ to ME, she stored all her stuff in a 40' container. We let her drop it in our driveway, while she was shopping for land to build a log cabin on. Then she moved the container to sit behind her cabin.
Sounds a lot like our plans! Glad it worked out for her. How did she get it shipped once filled? Did she have a crane lift it on a truck or did she get a tilt bed truck? Also where did she find the trucker to move it? Any info will help us out. Thanks

Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 AM

30,677 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresusa View Post
Sounds a lot like our plans! Glad it worked out for her. How did she get it shipped once filled? Did she have a crane lift it on a truck or did she get a tilt bed truck? Also where did she find the trucker to move it? Any info will help us out. Thanks
She found a trucking company that moves containers all the time. A truck came with a tilt bed and a winch. The winch slid it right up onto the bed. It only took a couple minutes.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
She found a trucking company that moves containers all the time. A truck came with a tilt bed and a winch. The winch slid it right up onto the bed. It only took a couple minutes.
Thanks for your response. We have been told conflicting stories about how to load/unload a fully loaded 40 foot cargo (sea) container. Some say that they can use a tilt bed and a wench to put it on the truck and others say that the weight is just too much for that. In that case they say that a crane is necessary. Guess we'll find out when we're ready to go with a loaded one. But had wanted to find out ahead of time.

Thanks again.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:54 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I think you're doing a good job of planning.

I'll add one thing. When I moved a long distance I did what you are planning to do and filled the horse trailer with similar odds and ends. Then I had the horses shipped via a professional hauler. I got travel insurance on the horses. Maybe yours are already insured? Just be sure your insurer knows what you're doing.

Good luck on your adventure!
When I moved we checked all the possibilities, but it still came back to someone had to drive after a truck since all of us wouldn't fit inside a uhaul/other brand cab. But then a friend of my fil, who was going to help, said his son had a horse trailer for two horses. So we moved my stuff in one, and a nice comfy cab with ac and comfortable room for the dog and cat.

Except for a new thing of coffee I brought which dumped, and a little sliding, (I packed tight with that in mind) it worked out great. So there would be a lot of room for things being brought on the first trip. Just pack well and don't chance breakables if it shifts.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 PM

13,645 posts, read 8,559,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresusa View Post
Thanks for your response. We have been told conflicting stories about how to load/unload a fully loaded 40 foot cargo (sea) container. Some say that they can use a tilt bed and a wench to put it on the truck and others say that the weight is just too much for that. In that case they say that a crane is necessary. Guess we'll find out when we're ready to go with a loaded one. But had wanted to find out ahead of time.

Thanks again.
Might work. Depends on the wench. I have found that if ya beat 'em sometimes ya get more out of them.

Or, you could use a winch. Either way.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Might work. Depends on the wench. I have found that if ya beat 'em sometimes ya get more out of them.

My wife always says for an old man I have a very dirty mind!! LOL I told her for years I'd been practicing to be a dirty old man and now I've finally made it!!!

Old 04-01-2016, 01:14 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Good catch. It slipped right by me.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:33 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,566,642 times
Remember a couple of things, if you load in the container, when it's loading onto the truck it will tilt up at quite an angle. So expect everything that's not tied down to move, roll, shift..
We moved from Ca. To Missouri last summer and have horses too...
You will need a health certificate and coggins test to haul them over state lines..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or