U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:03 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,966,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
You couldn't just accept a voicemail and call them back immediately?
That would not work in an emergency situation such as your loved one coding. I have never gotten a spam call in my own area code. It's always a social worker, nurse, doctor, or whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:10 PM

890 posts, read 679,794 times
Anybody get a call recently from "IRS" with a robo-call sounding message that you've been sued?

I've had two this year.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 PM

2,638 posts, read 1,552,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Anybody get a call recently from "IRS" with a robo-call sounding message that you've been sued?

I've had two this year.
I got one of those messages. The caller couldn't decide if he was a cop or an IRS agent, said I could go to jail but he would give me a chance to pay a fine, but I had to do it right away or he might not be able to help me. Pretty obvious, and I got a good laugh out of it.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,198,021 times
Just another reason I never answer my phone. You've got to leave a message...and MAYBE, I'll call back.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:51 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,966,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post

I've had two this year.
Yeah, I have had two of those recently.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 PM

3,632 posts, read 1,640,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was half asleep this afternoon when I took a phone call from automated "Credit Card Services" telling me I was late with $85 payment but if I wanted to pay on line now I could avoid late fee. Without thinking i gave the requested last 4 # of my SS# but when "she" repeated it back I had given the wrong number but I did not correct it and decided to listen to see exactly what was going on. They never identified which credit card or bank. She verified the incorrect numbers and next i was directed to a site where I could pay the amount now with no hassle or delay. by then I was well aware of what was going on--classic phishing expedition. I'm sure there are many who would give a credit card number or bank account number or who fall for this scam all the time.

After it was all over i thought to myself---since when do credit card companies call with "friendly reminder payment is due"? They make a huge profit over late fees and aren't about to kill the goose who lays the golden eggs.

It is disgusting how people think of ways to steal from us.
If I get one with a real person, I always like to ask them to call me back at my other line so I can see my bank information from my phone. (911) 518-2322 Often its some patched scratch line probably hacked from the other side of the world. That's a fine, every time they do it!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 5,369,276 times
That's excellent advice to never give these callers any information and to make them tell you who they are. There are so many scams out there.

We have gotten ominous-sounding voicemails from a man with a foreign accent who says that we are about to be called before "a magistrate or judge" for a tax problem, and to call him back at ###-###-#### (out of state area code) or they will come to our house and arrest us. Then he says, "please help us to help you." Threatening dire consequences if you don't cooperate is a classic phishing tactic.

Fake collection agencies have also called to say that we're behind on a car loan for some make and model of car that I have never owned. The other day I got a call from a foreign-sounding woman who claimed that I had a problem with my computer. That's another common one. If you fall for it and follow the instructions they give you to fix the (non-existent) "problem," they will gain access to your computer and install malware. Then they charge you an exorbitant fee to remove it, and you have no choice but to pay.

Another scam I've heard of but not experienced is a threatening call regarding jury service. They'll tell you that you were called for jury duty but never reported, and then they offer to let you pay a fine. It's another sleazy attempt to get your credit card info.

Now and then I pick up the phone and am greeted by a recording from a cheery-sounding man or woman who says "Congratulations, you have won a free cruise [or a visit to a resort]." I have no idea what the scam is because I hang up immediately. It might be one of those things where they tell you that you need to pay a processing fee to claim the prize, you give them your credit card number, they take the money and then you never hear from them again.

In our neighborhood we've had young people ringing doorbells and soliciting magazine subscriptions. They say that they are raising money for some youth organization, but they have no credentials. The magazine subscriptions are extremely overpriced, and they won't accept anything but a personal check. Neighbors who have fallen for this have discovered that they don't get the magazines they ordered and/or the organization continues taking money out of their checking accounts without authorization.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 AM

9,778 posts, read 7,063,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
That would not work in an emergency situation such as your loved one coding. I have never gotten a spam call in my own area code. It's always a social worker, nurse, doctor, or whatnot.

We have, so it does happen. Sometimes the spam caller will spoof your own phone number, so that is what appears on the caller ID.

IMO, I don't think there is much harm done by just answering those calls, other than verifying to the caller that it's a working number, and of course your own waste of time in answering the call when it is a spam. The problems come when/if you give them any personal information.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 AM

3,856 posts, read 5,312,721 times
After owning a car for only a year, I was hounded by some place trying to sell me an extended warranty; my original one was good for five years. They went so far as to send ominous looking mail with words on the envelope like, FINAL NOTICE! Reporting them did nothing to stop the calls and mail.

When I bought my latest car, I specifically asked the dealership to not disclose my information to these types of companies, and the salesman said it's basically out of their hands. Scammers buy lists of information and just pester you regardless.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 AM

343 posts, read 427,180 times
I had a card issuer call wanting to check on recent transactions. They wanted me to recite my most recent transactions and I told them that they should be doing that to prove who they were.

I was reasonably sure they were legit, but I told them I wasn't going to speak further with them and would call the issuer from my end, which I did. The CSA laughed and told me I did right. I had the feeling that the company hired a Deputy Dog and his practices weren't going well.

Either way Deputy Dog was an idiot, because he was doing the same thing they encourage customers not to engage in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or