U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 11:42 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,769,854 times

Advertisements

Several years ago I took a call from a very friendly sounding guy soliciting money for some police benefit fund. "Do you know any of the fellas down here?" he asked. I just so happen to have lived next door to the sheriff and we were chatting by our mail boxes a few minutes prior. I told the man on th phone I had to tend to something on the stove and quietly sent my child next door to fetch the sheriff who listened to the entire conversation. Sheriff directed me what to ask and somehow he ended up finding these fraudsters. I've heard that some attorney general of some state actually got a bunch of scam calls. Before that he didn't think it was that big a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,769,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I had this four times in one day. Who would believe the IRS calls that often to warn them and ask for money??
Anybody who has tried to get a human being on the phone at IRS knows this is totally ridiculous!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:51 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
I have been using this for a year and it really works.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

My phone company is through AT&T Xfinity but there are many who support it. I found out about it through either AARP or Consumer Reports I don't remember which one but it's legit. Using that plus my phone provider's own system of blocking calls I am pretty well free of those pesky varmints. Also, if I call someone and it turns out to be a robot call that answers, the call goes directly to NOMOROBO and I can tell them to put that number on their list. Oh and my old landline also has feature where I can block up to 20 calls if someone does get through and I don't want to speak to them again.

I have ringtones for family and friends. Other calls I used caller ID to see if I can identify the caller. If I can't I will see if they leave a message. If they don't, I won't call back.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,281,254 times
1) I'm never late with a bill payment -- so that's the FIRST hint you're a scammer.
2) I never deal with anyone who calls me. Period.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:09 PM
ERH

1,145 posts, read 1,636,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
We have, so it does happen. Sometimes the spam caller will spoof your own phone number, so that is what appears on the caller ID.
This happened to my dad a few weeks ago. His phone rang and the caller ID identified the caller as my mom, as if she was calling him from her cell phone. Problem is, Mom died in January! Her cell phone is still active, but it's sitting on her desk. He was a bit shell-shocked, so he let it go to voice mail (no message left).

Another scam: Earlier this year, my brother and I accompanied Dad to our lawyer's office to have Mom's name removed from their jointly owned real estate. A few weeks later, Dad received a "bill" in the mail about a recording fee that needed to be paid in relation to this transaction. The bill was very well done; it took us about 15 minutes of scrutiny to figure out it was bogus. Had I not been there, Dad would have paid it. I don't know if that mailing was pure coincidence or if there was a public record of the transaction published somewhere (legal notice or whatnot), but it was pretty slick.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 960,948 times
How about the robo-call that starts out: "Please hold for an important message." Uh....no.

We used to get the following fax at work frequently: It went something like this:

DO YOU THINK ABORTION SHOULD BE ILLEGAL? (or DO YOU THINK THE PRESIDENT SHOULD BE IMPEACHED? or DO YOU THINK YOUR TAXES ARE TOO HIGH?)
[ ] YES
[ ] NO

Fax this back to ***-***-**** as soon as possible. Results will be tabulated and forwarded to your congressman's office for his use in voting on this important matter.

Signed: The National Association of Public Opinion Brokers (or something equally important-sounding)

------

In really tiny, tiny letters it would state that the fax would cost $2.49 to send. This, of course, would just be another tiny item on the company's phone bill so nobody would probably catch it. For a while this fax was coming in a couple times a day and someone was faxing it back. I had to post a sign over the fax machine threatening anyone with my wrath if they faxed one of these back. The problem is that not one bit of this scam was illegal. I'm sure the "National Association of Public Opinion Brokers" actually is a registered company existing in someone's basement office and that a couple of times a year they send a letter, properly tracked, to a senator's office somewhere saying, "our research shows that 62% of the American People are against abortion, want to impeach the president or think their taxes are too high". Nice little scam.

Last edited by jamary1; 03-23-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 01:00 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,275,654 times
This is why I refuse to confirm anything when someone calls me. The other day a bill collector called me for my wifes debt. SHe said "Can you confirm who this is by giving me your date of birth" I said nope. So she said but I need it to confirm who you are. I said sucks for you then she went on with the call anyways without confirming.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,275,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Yep, I use 800 notes all the time. Or you can just type the note on the google search bar and it will give you 800 notes and a series of other sites that monitor scam numbers.
WHen I get an unknown number the first thing I do is google it and usually this site pops up. Its fun when the most recent comment on there was from just an hour or so ago.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:59 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,141,183 times
I yam Steven Joseph vrum I R ezzzzz. Vee av zummary zhuzhmont a-gaynst tyou! .....

Old 03-23-2016, 02:18 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,167,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
That's excellent advice to never give these callers any information and to make them tell you who they are. There are so many scams out there.

We have gotten ominous-sounding voicemails from a man with a foreign accent who says that we are about to be called before "a magistrate or judge" for a tax problem, and to call him back at ###-###-#### (out of state area code) or they will come to our house and arrest us. Then he says, "please help us to help you." Threatening dire consequences if you don't cooperate is a classic phishing tactic.

Fake collection agencies have also called to say that we're behind on a car loan for some make and model of car that I have never owned. The other day I got a call from a foreign-sounding woman who claimed that I had a problem with my computer. That's another common one. If you fall for it and follow the instructions they give you to fix the (non-existent) "problem," they will gain access to your computer and install malware. Then they charge you an exorbitant fee to remove it, and you have no choice but to pay.

Another scam I've heard of but not experienced is a threatening call regarding jury service. They'll tell you that you were called for jury duty but never reported, and then they offer to let you pay a fine. It's another sleazy attempt to get your credit card info.

Now and then I pick up the phone and am greeted by a recording from a cheery-sounding man or woman who says "Congratulations, you have won a free cruise [or a visit to a resort]." I have no idea what the scam is because I hang up immediately. It might be one of those things where they tell you that you need to pay a processing fee to claim the prize, you give them your credit card number, they take the money and then you never hear from them again.

In our neighborhood we've had young people ringing doorbells and soliciting magazine subscriptions. They say that they are raising money for some youth organization, but they have no credentials. The magazine subscriptions are extremely overpriced, and they won't accept anything but a personal check. Neighbors who have fallen for this have discovered that they don't get the magazines they ordered and/or the organization continues taking money out of their checking accounts without authorization.
Those phone numbers like those you mentioned in your first paragraph are a toll call that's very expensive and will charge you a lot of money on your phone bill. It is how the scam works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or