U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:19 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,781,388 times

Advertisements

My first rule of thumb is ask to call them back. They usually hang up since they have no answer.

Lately I've gotten so many of these and Idk why. What I hate the most is they are now able to use any number they want (they'll even spoof with someone else's number so it looks local) I've gotten so frustrated I now answer, leave it on speaker, make noise but never talk and see how long they take to hang up.

One other scam is someone calling from "Microsoft" or "anti virus" telling you you're computer is infected, they then ask you follow steps that allows them to remotely access your computer and lock it up so you have to pay them to "fix" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 02:21 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,165,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I got a call recently. It started Hello Grandpa. It took me a second or two to realize none of my grandkids call me Grandpa. I asked what is your sister's name? He hung up.

I guess the scam is the kid is in trouble in Mexico and needs money sent to help him out.
My parents got two of these calls and the scammers tries to get you to give them the name of someone and they act like that is who they are.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:35 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,165,697 times
I got a call that was a recording claiming to be the IRS. It said someone had committed fraud using my social security number and that I needed to call a phone number. The IRS sends people things in writing and doesn't call. And if they ever did I don't think it would be a recording.

While on the subject of the IRS. I met someone once that worked for the IRS and told me those adds on TV for companies that help people that owe back taxes are something you should never call if you owe back taxes. The IRS is behind them and rather than help you it just helps them find you. How scary is that?

Old 03-23-2016, 02:39 PM

6,652 posts, read 18,667,875 times
Occasionally I will get a call (unknown ID #) so will disregard or the phone will go with 4 rings and they hang up. At times they have called back at a different day (maybe a wrong #) To fix this I answer in a foreign tongue (speak two other languages. (Also know some Japanese and Korean phrases) The first two will make them hang up for sure while there are many people who speak/understand Spanish so that's out. Just an idea for some here.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:43 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
I never answer any phone numbers I don't recognize...period.
Same here. I don't pickup the phone for unrecognized numbers. Same with the mail. What I don't expect or recognized, I tear in half and drop in the recycle bin. Just not interested.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 3 days ago)

8,128 posts, read 5,812,775 times
I've received a few calls where it's not a live person. They think they are slick. They'll ask a question, you answer, and they go on to the next. It's automated but they try to sound human.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:53 PM

58 posts, read 41,606 times
We used to have a little hardware box called a "Telebouncer". It requires the caller to press 1, 2, or 3 before it rings through so none of the robo-diallers get through. Awesome and worth every cent, unfortunately ours got fried by lightning so I am having to deal with these calls for the first time in a decade.

If anyone is interested you can find it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/TeleBouncer-Bl.../dp/B001GBDDJM

PS I hope it is Ok to post the link here - I have no commercial or other interest in the product.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:49 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
I never pick up the phone for this particularly reason. I could fall the scam when I get older.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:57 PM

1,069 posts, read 805,155 times
There is a really nasty immoral scam going around in my area.

A lady two counties over got a phone call stating her husband had been in an accident. He was hurt and not able to help himself.

The caller wanted $900 or he would murder the husband. The wife was sure it was a scam but the caller knew a LOT of personal information, the guy on the street wouldn't know.

She finally told the guy where to go, he hung up, she called her husband at work and he was there, unharmed.

The scammer had found all that personal information thru social media so be careful what you type and where you type it.

I can just see some grandparent buying into this scam over their grandchildren.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:28 PM

14,466 posts, read 17,327,710 times
My approaches for avoiding being scammed are as follows:
  • If the other party doesn't answer right away, I hang up the phone. Phone scammers use some sort of system that results in a delay of several seconds before they can connect with you.
  • If the caller has a foreign accent, I hang up the phone immediately.
  • If the caller claims to be from the IRS, I ask him to recite my social security number. Since a scammer is not likely to have this information as well as my home phone number, I then give him a few choice words, and then I hang up the phone.
  • If the caller claims to be from one of my credit card issuers, I ask him to recite my credit card number. Since a scammer is not likely to have both my credit card number and my home phone number, I give him a few choice words, and then I hang up the phone.
  • I haven't yet gotten one of the calls stating that a relative is (pick one or both) injured in a foreign country, imprisoned in a foreign country, but I already have my strategy figured out. My first question would be, "What is the name of this relative, and...please give me a physical description of this person". If the answer was "We don't know", or, "He wasn't able to provide this information as a result of his injury or his status", then my next question would be..."Then how was he able to provide my name and my phone number?"
  • I stopped using Facebook several months ago, as I consider it to be a colossal waste of time--as well as a potential venue for fraud.
While I empathize with people who wind up being scammed, I really have to question whether those folks are in full possession of their mental faculties. A few months ago, a man whom I know was scammed out of several thousand dollars because his grandson had allegedly been arrested in Mexico, and The US Embassy in that country was--supposedly--requesting fees to be paid with Green Dot cash cards from Wal-Mart. Really? Is it really believable that a government agency would ask you to go to Wal-Mart in order to obtain the method of payment?

That scheme was so transparently bogus that I think this man--who did lose several thousand $$ in the process--may be in the early stages of dementia. He says that he spoke with his alleged grandson during the course of that phone call, but because it had been so long since he had spoken with his grandson, he wasn't sure if it was really him. But, even though he wasn't sure if it was his grandson, he did exactly what the scammers asked for. I feel really sorry for him, but if he just followed my basic principle of--if there is any doubt about the veracity of the call, just HANG UP--he wouldn't have lost that money. A legitimate caller will call back.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or