U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:03 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,507,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
There's another scam out there where someone calls you and tells you that they are giving you a heads up that they will be visiting your home and place of employment to serve you with papers about a judgment, but you can just go ahead and pay it now.

I let all calls go to voicemail I don't recognize, too. I Googled the phone number and read reviews on scam websites about the scam. I was hoping they'd call back so I could tell them to come on down, I'll make coffee and see what they do LOL.

I'm way too cynical to fall for any scams anymore. I'd just go look at my accounts online after hanging up.
Never say never. Scam artists are very savvy, and even the smartest among us have fallen for them at times. However, it's great that you and OP listen to your instincts and dodge these tricks. That's the key to avoiding getting scammed: if an email/phone call/sales pitch seems weird, wrong, or just fake in some way, it most likely is. In nearly every instance your instincts are right.

Instincts are more than just "a feeling in your gut." Instincts are based on many important psychological thoughts, even if you don't really understand what is going on in your mind at the moment. These impressions can happen in a matter of just a couple of seconds. If a scam artist is talking to you, what he/she is saying may not ring true. They may hesitate when speaking, their story may not add up, or you may not have experienced this type of phone call or email in the past, which makes you wonder about the veracity of what they are telling you.

The person may be overly vague, flattering, or charming, and all these behaviors send your senses on high alert. Be especially aware of people using charm as a means of attempting to persuade you of whatever. Honest people have no need to charm you, because you won't feel nervous or skeptical of them. You believe what they say because it's true. And congratulations to OP for avoiding this scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:18 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm not sure if this is a new scam or not, but it sure is interesting.

I got a call a couple weeks ago with an out-of-state area code. No message was left. Because I'm nosy, I decided to call the number and see what's what.

The person who answered the call gave her name and the name of a medical facility (which I didn't catch). Being the nice person I am, I told them they had called the wrong number. The person on the other end wanted to verify my number. I gave them the number and the person then said they couldn't find my number. I asked her where she was because I was in Washington state and noticed the out-of-state area code. The woman didn't answer my question and said again she couldn't find anyone who had called me. I asked again where she was located. She again didn't answer me and then asked me for my social security number.

At that point, I'd had enough and hung up. Then I did what I should have done the first time and looked up the area code in the phone book. It was an area code for Arizona.

Wrong number? Maybe. Except that two weeks later I got another phone call from the same area code and still no message was left. Now I know sometimes medical personnel won't leave messages because of privacy issues, but if you call someone, why wouldn't there be a record of the number called?

This just seems really sneaky to me and if you were trying to con someone, what better way than to call some elderly person who probably has been in to see the doctor for something recently and then by claiming to be a nurse or a doctor or a receptionist at the local hospital, get as much information as possible from the person?
Scam-O-Rama! You just put yourself on a bunch of phone lists by returning the call. Sometimes just picking up the phone will do that because it verifies they have reached a number with a living, breathing person on the other end. Don't do it. Let it ring. Then check the area code on your computer. Check a reverse lookup website. Chances are the number on the caller ID won't be listed. Block the number for future calls.

This is true if you pick up your phone and there is no one there. Gotcha! We are so programed to respond to phone rings like Pavlov's dogs but we don't have to. I wish we still used answering machines. They were much better for the purpose of screening calls but we still have tools we can use like "Call Block" though your phone, "NOMOROBO," (see my previous post) and through the Internet if you have an Internet phone provider.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM

7,287 posts, read 4,162,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Never say never. Scam artists are very savvy, and even the smartest among us have fallen for them at times. However, it's great that you and OP listen to your instincts and dodge these tricks. That's the key to avoiding getting scammed: if an email/phone call/sales pitch seems weird, wrong, or just fake in some way, it most likely is. In nearly every instance your instincts are right.

Instincts are more than just "a feeling in your gut." Instincts are based on many important psychological thoughts, even if you don't really understand what is going on in your mind at the moment. These impressions can happen in a matter of just a couple of seconds. If a scam artist is talking to you, what he/she is saying may not ring true. They may hesitate when speaking, their story may not add up, or you may not have experienced this type of phone call or email in the past, which makes you wonder about the veracity of what they are telling you.

The person may be overly vague, flattering, or charming, and all these behaviors send your senses on high alert. Be especially aware of people using charm as a means of attempting to persuade you of whatever. Honest people have no need to charm you, because you won't feel nervous or skeptical of them. You believe what they say because it's true. And congratulations to OP for avoiding this scam.

It's really very simple. If you're calling me, you're either a scammer or a telemarketer. When there was a security breach recently, my credit card company sent me an e-mail telling me that my card with the last four digits was compromised and a new one was in the mail. No need for me to take any action other than to activate the new card when it arrives and to destroy the old card. Any time my credit union or credit card company wants to communicate with me, it's via e-mail or snail mail. The only legitimate business calls I receive are from auto dealerships asking me how my car or Jeep is doing and how was the service during my last visit.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:43 AM

5,802 posts, read 4,851,439 times
I got a spam call yesterday and they spoofed half of my home phone and half of my cell number. It was confusing, but I didn't answer it. Sometimes I like to play along with their gag if I accidently pickup the call. I pretend I'm really scared and then when they tell me they are going to send over the sheriff to arrest me I say "okay, send him right over"!

Old 03-24-2016, 12:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,601,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I got a spam call yesterday and they spoofed half of my home phone and half of my cell number. It was confusing, but I didn't answer it. Sometimes I like to play along with their gag if I accidently pickup the call. I pretend I'm really scared and then when they tell me they are going to send over the sheriff to arrest me I say "okay, send him right over"!
The savy ones have an answer for that as its what I replied the time I was being told about the warrant. I said come on over. They had my home address and repeated it to me. I can't remember if they had my car info or not but it was amazing just how much is public knowledge the scammers can pull up to make themself look real. They also gave me a judges name who didn't exist as I found out from my ds who was working at the courthouse at that time. I had also asked for a phone number to call back which I got. Of course I was sure it was fake and would be answered if I did call. The next morning, after I filed a police report, for laughs I did call the number and got an answering machine saying it was the sharif's office and leave a message. Amazing. Unfortunately there are probably naive people out there who would.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:04 PM

8,980 posts, read 8,122,996 times
We have not had a spam call in a couple of years. We had so many unwanted calls I took a different route.

I went for an Internet Home Phone (Voip). It is a NetTalk electronic box. Very small. Plugs into the 110 volt line, and into the WiFi modem. Then the phone plugs into this box. The number does not show up in any directory or call list. It has local 911, and all the extras you expect from the phone company with no extra charges for them. It is unlimited free long distance anywhere in USA and Canada. Cost $39.95 plus about $5 taxes, for one year service. Every year, just pay another years service less than the old monthly bill was, and I had to pay long distance to the phone company. Even has better sound than Century Link phone service did. Cost averaged per month, $3.75.

Only calls we ever get, are people we want to talk to, that we have given the phone number to. We don't even have to check caller ID or as it is also given by voice to listen to it, to see who is calling, as it it rings, it is someone we want to talk to. We have a 4 level home so we use wireless phones, with 4 different handsets around the house.

Everyone I know that has made the switch is happy with it. When we travel, we even take the NetTalk box along with us. Plug it into a lap top computer where there is WiFi such as a hotel room, plug the phone into it, and we have Free Phone Service all set up. If we ever move to another part of the country, just take it along, get a new phone number for the area and we have phone service going again. I know some condos and apartments give free WiFi internet service. If we move into one, we can have phone service in 15 minutes to change the number and 911 location on the Internet or by cell phone.

We can afford any phone service we want. But I can be cheap and do it for $3.75 per month with free long distance, and not be on lists for telemarketers and scam calls, so I prefer this route.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:39 PM

14,698 posts, read 8,507,286 times
Mr. Number and having an Alaska phone number has eliminated the scam callers/texters for me. I recommend Mr. Number to anyone who gets scam/spam callers or gets harassing phone calls from disgruntled exes or obnoxious, overly persistent salespeople. It blocks phone calls and texts before they ring/ping the first time.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:25 PM

3,995 posts, read 2,550,703 times
I have 5 acres out in the desert I got talked into when I was young worth about 10,000. There is lots and lots of vacant land out there, it's almost impossible to sell.
I had a elderly man call me and then come over, he was a real good talker, a real salesman, he claimed he had a buyer for 53,000 and although I really suspected a scam he talked me into giving him $293 for something, I forgot what now.
I suspected a scam but the lure of 53,00 got me, I normally would never fall for something like this.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,688,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Mr. Number and having an Alaska phone number has eliminated the scam callers/texters for me. I recommend Mr. Number to anyone who gets scam/spam callers or gets harassing phone calls from disgruntled exes or obnoxious, overly persistent salespeople. It blocks phone calls and texts before they ring/ping the first time.
Thanks for this! I have never heard of Mr. Number before, but I just got it and am looking forward to trying it out.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,199,490 times
Some guy left us a message that this was a debt collection call, etc. and that we must take it seriously and must call him, etc. i googled his number and saw he'd called several thousand people. I tried to call him back but I got an out of service recording for him. I was going to play with his head and offer him a dollar a week for the rest of my life, that I would leave the dollar in a phone booth each week, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or