Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times

Advertisements

A good dog. Preferably a hound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
For me, it's having simple needs, having those needs well met, and doing work that I truly enjoy. And giving back something to my community through volunteer work.

And lots of time in nature breathing fresh air and exercising my body...walking, biking, paddling.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:21 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Variety is the spice of life for me. I need to keep learning. I can think up more projects to do than I will ever get done.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Live life in the Lord! -- It's a win-win life. Whether one lives or dies, they live!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:00 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Learn how to love yourself and how to forgive yourself and it will make you a more loving and forgiving person to others. Another win-win.

Develop an attitude of gratitude.

Own a cat. They'll help you put your sense of importance in perspective.

Have a child. They'll teach you patience.

Learn how to be alone and develop a few hobbies which you'll be able to do for a lifetime.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I learned more about happiness by watching the documentary, "Happy", than I have anywhere else. It's free on Netfix, probably Amazon, too.

HAPPY*|*The Happy Movie
I was actually really disappointed in that documentary. It focused on really sad stuff. They interviewed kids who had been bullied and cried in front of school assemblies. I couldn't keep watching it. I was hoping to feel uplifted, but it was horribly upsetting. Don't watch this documentary to feel good. Showing what makes people unhappy, doesn't equate a documentary on how to be happy. Anyway, I whole-heartedly discourage anyone from watching this documentary, if you think it will make you feel good, because it absolutely will not.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Learn how to love yourself and how to forgive yourself and it will make you a more loving and forgiving person to others. Another win-win.

Own a cat. They'll help you put your sense of importance in perspective.

Have a child. They'll teach you patience.

Learn how to be alone and develop a few hobbies which you'll be able to do for a lifetime.

I'm poor and all I can afford is a cheap room in someone else's house, where I can't own a cat and am never alone, and that is why I'm having difficulty having gratitude.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:21 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodestar View Post
learn how to love yourself and how to forgive yourself and it will make you a more loving and forgiving person to others. Another win-win.

develop an attitude.

own a cat. They'll help you put your sense of importance in perspective.

own a cat. They'll pee on your furniture and shred your sofa.

have a child. They'll teach you patience.

have a child. They'll drive you insane.

learn how to be alone and develop a few hobbies which you'll be able to do for a lifetime.

yeah because nobody wants to hang out with a cat lady who's thankful her kids drove her nuts!
:d
:d

Old 03-25-2016, 03:39 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Actually, this study applies only to white, heterosexual men, from Boston born long, long ago.

While I do wish the general public (ie: we posters here on CD) were more aware of such data skewing, I blame the researchers. Not the OP here. Just sayin'
Skewed data, disappeared women... I am just guessing, but I think the results obtained by studying white men are pretty generalizable and would have been the same if they included women, blacks, and Martians. Social relationships are good for *people*.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Another thread where there is no "one size fits all" magic answer. There are happy hermits and miserable social butterflies, but that doesn't seem to be the common trend. I think that for most of us life is going to be a mix of good and bad, happy and sad. But a substantial portion (maybe most of life) is spaces in between those events that make us feel especially good or bad. If there is a secret, I think it is learning not to dwell on the bad in those spaces in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement