U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 06:43 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,569,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Another thread where there is no "one size fits all" magic answer. There are happy hermits and miserable social butterflies, but that doesn't seem to be the common trend. I think that for most of us life is going to be a mix of good and bad, happy and sad. But a substantial portion (maybe most of life) is spaces in between those events that make us feel especially good or bad. If there is a secret, I think it is learning not to dwell on the bad in those spaces in between.
For me the "one size fits all" factor is that it matters less what happens to us than how we all have a choice about how we feel and think concerning what happens to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,283 times
Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and other relaxing liquids producers say using their products can lead to happy life.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,280,600 times
Realize your limitations, capitalize on your abilities, accept where you are in life, and the rest should fall in place.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:45 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,010,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Not everyone is social. I think the key is to live within your means, and to try to be content with what you have.
I don't consider myself a social person, although I used to be according to old friends. I suspect life got in the way and I lost the desire to be social.

However, in the last few years I can contribute a few new social contacts in which I learned new things that would not have been on my radar had I stayed alone so it's a nice positive for me to nudge me to be slightly more social.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:54 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Meh. I agree with the person called "Passion For Peaches." Just another survey answered by the same type of people who take surveys. Whatever makes you happy makes you happy whether you choose to live in a cave or in a beehive.

Sure just having money doesn't make you happy but not having it makes you miserable when the rent is due or groceries have to be bought. Then money can make you very happy.

When did we come to these "one size fits all" ideas that following this or that lifestyle will make everyone happy? This line of thinking has created more unhappy people as they desperately strive to meet the proscribed criteria for being happy rather than focusing on they way they truly want to live.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 10 days ago)

30,147 posts, read 2,541,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I was actually really disappointed in that documentary. It focused on really sad stuff. They interviewed kids who had been bullied and cried in front of school assemblies. I couldn't keep watching it. I was hoping to feel uplifted, but it was horribly upsetting. Don't watch this documentary to feel good. Showing what makes people unhappy, doesn't equate a documentary on how to be happy. Anyway, I whole-heartedly discourage anyone from watching this documentary, if you think it will make you feel good, because it absolutely will not.

I totally agree with you about that documentary, Happy. You nailed it!

A movie that I enjoyed was: Hector and the Search for Happiness. It's a feature film, not a documentary. It can be streamed on Netflix, it's rated 'R', and it stars Simon Pegg. Quirky and thought-provoking... to me, anyway.

Last edited by geebabe; 03-26-2016 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2016, 04:38 PM

15,211 posts, read 8,518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This.

My mantra is "Learn to want what you already have." I'm still working on it.
I do try to pause every now and than...to realize how good it feels to have something basic like a warm and cozy house!...not even the house itself but just to feel cozy and good...not cold or damp or in a drafty place. And in the summer to have the ceiling fan on and relaxing. I need to make a point of finding more things like that....

Old 03-26-2016, 04:42 PM

1,580 posts, read 823,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm poor and all I can afford is a cheap room in someone else's house, where I can't own a cat and am never alone, and that is why I'm having difficulty having gratitude.
Definitely understandable. I hope things get better for you... One day you will have your own place and your kitty....

Old 03-26-2016, 07:47 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,043,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and other relaxing liquids producers say using their products can lead to happy life.

Use only as directed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or