U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 PM
 
21,044 posts, read 19,557,156 times
Reputation: 5930

Advertisements

Same here, Tressa, all the tools will go with us....but I'm putting my foot down on the dozens of jars and tins of nails and bolts and anything rusty !

It's funny but he kids me about all my junk but when I do a good "clean out" he goes through it all and saves stuff!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Want to be in Branson
67 posts, read 140,822 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Same here, Tressa, all the tools will go with us....but I'm putting my foot down on the dozens of jars and tins of nails and bolts and anything rusty !

It's funny but he kids me about all my junk but when I do a good "clean out" he goes through it all and saves stuff!!!
EKK I thought my DH was the only one to do that! This year, as we have been attempting to prepare to move from a 4 bed house to a 2 bed condo I told him he could not collect the stuff I was getting rid of! By the way HI All this is my first post on this board! Nice to meet all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 08:35 AM
 
21,044 posts, read 19,557,156 times
Reputation: 5930
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindiJ View Post
EKK I thought my DH was the only one to do that! This year, as we have been attempting to prepare to move from a 4 bed house to a 2 bed condo I told him he could not collect the stuff I was getting rid of! By the way HI All this is my first post on this board! Nice to meet all of you.
Hi to you, I'm pretty new, too, and it's nice to know someone else has "revolving door" stuff.

I learned one trick...if you can break, smash, or tear the item before throwing it out , do so.....or it may appear on a shelf in the garage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Want to be in Branson
67 posts, read 140,822 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hi to you, I'm pretty new, too, and it's nice to know someone else has "revolving door" stuff.

I learned one trick...if you can break, smash, or tear the item before throwing it out , do so.....or it may appear on a shelf in the garage
That is a great idea! I will get my hammer out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 05:00 AM
 
Location: Cold Frozen North
1,928 posts, read 4,631,417 times
Reputation: 1274
I qualify as a big pack rat. I don't get rid of anything even if it's useless and I will never use it again. That includes cars. That's why I have 11 cars. I have many things from my grammar school days. I just don't like parting with anything. So I keep moving the stuff whenever I go somewhere else. That's one reason when I built my present house I opted for a full basement - to store my junk.

I'll always be this way and don't want to change. Parting with things I've had for years is more painful than moving it around and storing it. Crazy, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Want to be in Branson
67 posts, read 140,822 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I qualify as a big pack rat. I don't get rid of anything even if it's useless and I will never use it again. That includes cars. That's why I have 11 cars. I have many things from my grammar school days. I just don't like parting with anything. So I keep moving the stuff whenever I go somewhere else. That's one reason when I built my present house I opted for a full basement - to store my junk.

I'll always be this way and don't want to change. Parting with things I've had for years is more painful than moving it around and storing it. Crazy, but true.
Well at least you admit it! Do you worry about your kids having to deal with your stuff once you are gone? That's one of the ways I convince myself to get rid of stuff - I ask myself if they would be cussing me after I am gone for having to deal with a bunch of junk and useless stuff. What I find is that it is actually liberating to get rid of some of the useless stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Reputation: 20410
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I qualify as a big pack rat. I don't get rid of anything even if it's useless and I will never use it again. That includes cars. That's why I have 11 cars. I have many things from my grammar school days. I just don't like parting with anything. So I keep moving the stuff whenever I go somewhere else. That's one reason when I built my present house I opted for a full basement - to store my junk.

I'll always be this way and don't want to change. Parting with things I've had for years is more painful than moving it around and storing it. Crazy, but true.
Are you sure we aren't related??? I gathered a lot of cars and equipment... still have the first, second, third... etc. cars I bought

I stumbled into rental property 25 years ago because I needed garage space to store my vehicles... I think it has been a win/win for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Cold Frozen North
1,928 posts, read 4,631,417 times
Reputation: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindiJ View Post
Well at least you admit it! Do you worry about your kids having to deal with your stuff once you are gone? That's one of the ways I convince myself to get rid of stuff - I ask myself if they would be cussing me after I am gone for having to deal with a bunch of junk and useless stuff. What I find is that it is actually liberating to get rid of some of the useless stuff.
I've never been married and don't have kids. I guess my brother will have to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Cold Frozen North
1,928 posts, read 4,631,417 times
Reputation: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Are you sure we aren't related??? I gathered a lot of cars and equipment... still have the first, second, third... etc. cars I bought

I stumbled into rental property 25 years ago because I needed garage space to store my vehicles... I think it has been a win/win for me
I also own a commercial building where I have most of my 'excess' cars. Plus, my house has a 4-car garage that can fit 5 comfortably. You can call me excentric if you wish. And I don't intend to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Reputation: 20410
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I also own a commercial building where I have most of my 'excess' cars. Plus, my house has a 4-car garage that can fit 5 comfortably. You can call me excentric if you wish. And I don't intend to change.
I've never been married and don't have kids either... my brother and his kids will have to deal with it too...

I first got into real estate because I needed more space for my cars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top