U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 PM

4,737 posts, read 2,558,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We all know the older we get the harder it is to deal with change...
It isn't for me. I learn and do something new every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 09:29 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,827,673 times
good for you. I love learning new things every day but something major like moving is quite daunting. We moved into our current home in 2009 and I said I'm only leaving this place feet first.

Then we just spent the last few weeks negotiating and signing a contract to build a new home which will be ready in about a year. Exciting but scary too! Hopefull it will be our last move.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:13 PM

339 posts, read 320,991 times
My mom and dad planned to go to Hawaii when they retired. My dad died at age 56. They never took their dream trip.

Years later, my mom took me. At least she was able to enjoy the beautiful islands.

Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. We need to find a balance between enjoying today and planning for tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:07 AM

Never say never

I was 32 when I met the love of my life. She was 92 | Gregor Collins | Opinion | The Guardian

Old 03-27-2016, 01:43 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,442,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'm absolutely amazed that someone thinks that, in their mid 70's that they have lots of time to plan for a future life full of activities and fun. At that age, people ought to celebrate waking up in the morning and then getting out of bed. Lots of people their age, can't and don't. I try to tell people to live your life now, not at some distant future date, because that day may not come. Circumstances change.

EG. My wife and I were planning a retirement together soon, in our mid 60's. Now she has metastatic cancer. Travel plans, moving plans etc. are all off the table. We have no plans for the future other than more chemo, and then we'll see. Live your life now.
Yeah, but the truth is, nobody knows how long he/she is going to live. So the fact that anybody of any age feels comfortable making plans and/or working towards future goals seems a little comical (at least to me).

Old 03-27-2016, 01:57 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,442,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
My mom and dad planned to go to Hawaii when they retired. My dad died at age 56. They never took their dream trip.

Years later, my mom took me. At least she was able to enjoy the beautiful islands.

Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. We need to find a balance between enjoying today and planning for tomorrow.
Forget tomorrow. The next ten minutes are not promised to any of us, regardless of age.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:16 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Yeah, but the truth is, nobody knows how long he/she is going to live. So the fact that anybody of any age feels comfortable making plans and/or working towards future goals seems a little comical (at least to me).
Not doing so seems like slow death to me.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:20 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,647,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I feel just the opposite. I love making plans; sometimes they have to be changed, sometimes they have to be canceled. But the fact that I'm going to die on some unknown day has no effect on my willingness to make plans and set goals.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:48 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,021,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I feel just the opposite. I love making plans; sometimes they have to be changed, sometimes they have to be canceled. But the fact that I'm going to die on some unknown day has no effect on my willingness to make plans and set goals.

I have always found that the people who make no plans are never in position to deal with the reality that they may live another 20-30 years.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 AM

When you stop dreaming, you start dying.

Having something to look forward to is what keeps most of us going. Just sitting around waiting for death is so morose. I understand serious illness. I've been on life support before. My dreams went from getting out of bed, out of the hospital, working with rehab to learn to walk again, etc. That was 21 years ago!

We all have to have something in the future to keep looking ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or