U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 05:43 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,774,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So who is the anonymous scaredy cat who repped me and said OMG. Don't ever move to Arkansas a terrible terrible place unless you are Baptist. I would like to know your reasons and who you are. Have you ever been there? What is your situation and why did you write that?
It wasn't me, but I would be concerned. My experience of 18 months in Little Rock was not pleasant. I don't do well around evangelists, close minded and ignorant people. That was my experience but it was also more 35 years ago and I worked in Pine Bluff, which was truly backward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 06:07 PM

2,018 posts, read 2,654,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Anyone can take classes in FL at a state school as an auditor if over the age of 65.
That's true. However, although the classes themselves are free, you still have to pay various university fees plus -- and this is the deal-breaker for me -- very high parking fees. Paying the very high parking fees allows you to compete with all the other students for scarce parking spots on campus.

I looked into taking the bus to my local state university -- it would take me 2.5 hours each way and require two transfers each way as well.

So I do my studying online now. It requires more self-discipline, but no traffic and parking hassles.

Which is completely off the topic of living in a university town, but I wanted to clarify the information about auditing classes for free.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:42 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,046,632 times
Quote:
So who is the anonymous scaredy cat who repped me and said OMG. Don't ever move to Arkansas a terrible terrible place unless you are Baptist. I would like to know your reasons and who you are. Have you ever been there? What is your situation and why did you write that?

It wasn't me because I do not send private messages.

I will say that we all have our "Top Ten states for retirement" and a similar number on the "never" list. IMO, it is kind of counterproductive to talk about the latter as we all have very different views of what we are looking for in retirement.

It is like the time I moved to Utah for a job and everyone said it is terrible place to live if you are not a Mormon. Wrong. It was a blast.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:52 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,969,752 times
Quote:
Actually - there are lots of Baptists in the SE and other parts of the country. When some inlaws moved to a smaller place in North Carolina - they became Baptists to "fit in". I've seen the same where I live. When some other inlaws moved to the mid-west - they became - IIRC - Presbyterians - to "fit in". It has always seemed to me that Christians are somewhat flexible in terms of the denominations with which they affiliate.

FWIW - one of the ladies' tennis teams I played on years ago was strongly Baptist. And I found the religious tone of the social gatherings somewhat off-putting. I have a friend/neighbor who's Catholic - and she encountered the same kind of thing at work.

I doubt this would be something you'd notice as much if you lived in a retirement community with mostly non-local people (I'm talking about people who moved to areas well before retirement age). Robyn

Old 03-28-2016, 05:05 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,969,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
That's true. However, although the classes themselves are free, you still have to pay various university fees plus -- and this is the deal-breaker for me -- very high parking fees. Paying the very high parking fees allows you to compete with all the other students for scarce parking spots on campus.

I looked into taking the bus to my local state university -- it would take me 2.5 hours each way and require two transfers each way as well.

So I do my studying online now. It requires more self-discipline, but no traffic and parking hassles.

Which is completely off the topic of living in a university town, but I wanted to clarify the information about auditing classes for free.
I was thinking of mentioning the parking. Which is bad to awful at all universities. But you're right. I swear - someone could put up a school in the middle of nowhere in Alaska - and - the next week - there wouldn't be an empty parking space for miles.

When my husband was taking courses at UNF - he bought semester-long parking passes. They weren't expensive back then. They're more expensive now - and the passes for "close-in" non-shuttle bus parking are more expensive than those for the shuttle lots. Daily parking is $5/day now.

My father's OLLI courses are in a small building on the periphery of UNF - and there is free parking for OLLI students IIRC.

My husband did pay some fees to UNF - but I don't recall that they were very high (low hundreds - not mid-hundreds - annually). OTOH - since he was a "student" - he did get student discounts on various things. Ranging from software/hardware to the Wall Street Journal. The discounts we got more than offset the fees he paid. Robyn

Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 AM

825 posts, read 567,936 times
The only way I'd dream of approaching the UW campus is by bus or the new light rail extension. I commuted there daily by Sound Transit Express while I was in grad school.

Currently I pay $1.50 per transit ride anywhere around the Seattle area, but that fare drops to $1 for seniors. It just doesn't make sense to drive in the city and then search for and pay for parking.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:25 AM

6,138 posts, read 9,114,129 times
I visited OLLI in Greenville SC and the building was brand new, huge, and gorgeous. No where near downtown, but outside the Furman U. campus, so plenty of parking. I wondered where they got the funds for such a nice place. No bus service.

In contrast, I saw the OLLI building outside of Columbia, MO. Very different. Not on campus at all. Drove into a very woodsy area and saw a rather small place, again with tons of parking. Again, no bus.

I do think these administrators are aware of parking problems, but if you don't drive, it's a concern.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:21 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,542,742 times
Quote:
Not me! We live five miles as the crow flies from the Arkansas border and the Ozarks are enticing. In many places they are blessed with some degree of "arrested development," by design, in keeping with an approach to modernization of "Go ahead - not too far and not too fast." It adds to their charm. Nature is abundant, the scenery is varied and gorgeous and the people are pleasant, welcoming and helpful. You could do a lot worse.

Back in the 70s my wife, then a midwife, began and taught the first childbirth instruction certification course ever offered at U of A in Fayetteville.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:48 PM

6,138 posts, read 9,114,129 times
OK. I think I know who it is. No one on here who posts regularly. It is someone who has a definite hatred for Fayetteville and AR in general. Has many posts on the AR site that says as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or