Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,335,457 times

Advertisements

hey, funisart, that's pretty cool. I was involved in my community in many ways, but never in a large way, and I've always wanted to see the bigger picture...to understand it more. Thanks for that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 05:24 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,098,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I took a quick look at the Tucson OLLI listings. It seemed most groups/classes met only a few times. Nothing wrong with that but certainly a different approach than I am used to.

It is easy to see how some can become very involved. There are lots of choice in areas of interest for seniors. Some also enjoy the social aspects. Many members meet and go to lunch or coffee after classes. We also have museum trips and strictly social events such as formal luncheons. By comparison, my involvement over the past couple of years has been pretty minimal. Next year I plan on expanding my involvement. I am considering taking up chess. It will take me quite a bit of time to come up to speed since I have not played for 50 years.

The reason why OLLI has shorter classes in the Tucson area is that a lot of the snowbirds leave at the end of March and a lot of the permanent residents start to travel back to the PNW and the Midwest when the winter is over with.

Personally, I have NO interest in a 12-16 week class because I know that I will at least four classes as I do like to travel. I also have a number of volunteer commitments as well responsibilities in the HOA and local governing bodies. To take a long class would remind me as to why I hate to join bowling leagues - the first few weeks are great and the last few weeks are "why did I sign up for this?"

As for the subjects, they are determined by the instructors who volunteer to teach them. If someone volunteers to teach a class about European military history, that is what we get. The majority of the subjects do revolve around LOCAL history and culture. That means that in Arizona, there will be a LOT of classes about agriculture, the history of Arizona, mining, the Wild West, and the like. Those classes draw a lot of interest in the community.

For the record, I work with a club that sponsors 35 lectures independent of OLLI. The subjects I have mentioned above as well as local writers, the local political cartoonists, and the like can draw 300 people for a one hour lecture. Other topics struggle to draw half that much.

Personally, I am not interested in field trips. I can and do visit most attractions in the Tucson area on a two to three year cycle. And as many of the field trips involve transportation, I find them pretty pricey.

=======================

I have looked at a few of the links at the other OLLI programs. A lot of those would not work in this area as the local developments have their own computer clubs, camera clubs and the like to meet those needs.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:06 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,921,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarynB View Post
Anyone have experience or knowledge of these? I have been researching this on the Internet and so far to get pricing info I have to speak to a sales consultant. Not at that point, just want more information without getting the "pitch". It seems like a good deal, especially if healthcare is your biggest need in retirement. Just not sure if there is a catch somewhere...
Because of this thread I have started to research. Duke has one and seems to be a plus.

http://www.forestduke.org

Here is a link that identifies multiple university based retirement communities.
http://www.campuscontinuum.com/resources.htm

Old 03-26-2016, 06:29 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,390,782 times
Gee, I was hoping this topic was about retirement communities where all residents must have 4-year university degrees.

I'd love to be surrounded by well-educated people and if everyone has to have a university degree in order to live in the community, then the community could keep out the kiddies. No children or grandchildren could live there, unless they had 4-year university degrees.

I would also like for the university associated with or located near the retirement community to provide incentives for seniors to get a graduate degree.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 03-26-2016 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 06:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 956,083 times
Thank you a thousand times to the people who have contributed to this thread! Thanks to you, I just researched what's available in my area (Seattle) and was astonished to learn that UW allows WA residents 60 and older to register for up to two classes per quarter for $5!

I am beyond delighted!! For the next three years, I'll be counting the days until I am old enough to register. This is the first time in my life I've ever looked forward to being older than I am. I won't be eligible to register for classes until Spring Quarter 2019, but what a wonderful thing to look forward to!

I also checked out the courses available at the OLLI at the UW, and the selection is quite limited, but just knowing that hundreds and hundreds of regular UW classes will be open to me as a 60-year-old fills me with deep happiness.

Thanks again to you all. You've made my day, my month, and my year.

Gratefully yours, UW Alumna, Class of 2012

Old 03-26-2016, 06:39 PM

24,521 posts, read 18,026,656 times
Quote:
Effective June 1, 2009, Senior citizens (60 years or older) who are Massachusetts residents may register in credit courses tuition-free, the week before classes begin, provided that there is a sufficient number of tuition-paying students enrolled to bear the cost of instruction and provided there is space available. Please note that this senior citizen waiver does not cover the tuition for directed study, independent study, international programs, contract learning, and non-credit courses and does not cover registration, campus, college and technology fees. Proof of Massachusetts residency and birth date must be provided at the time of registration.
I have a 7,500 undergrad/1,600 grad school state university in town. I can take whatever courses I want for $100-ish in fees. I was an electrical engineering/computer science major so my liberal arts is pretty thin. It would be kind of fun to round things out.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:09 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,335,457 times
Just make sure you're not relegated to being an auditor. If I recall back in the day, seniors could audit classes at my U, and one day in class a prof called on a student, who said she was told she was not allowed to participate because she was an auditor. (She was a senior). The prof then chastised her for telling her she was auditing! Evidently, she wasn't suppose to say that.

Seems to me it was a catch-22. Hope it's different today.

She never came back to class, and I didn't blame her.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:33 PM

29 posts, read 26,926 times
Here's another article and list, fyi: » Heading Back to Campus in Retirement: University-Related Communities Make Great Places to Retire - Topretirements

Old 03-26-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Thank you a thousand times to the people who have contributed to this thread! Thanks to you, I just researched what's available in my area (Seattle) and was astonished to learn that UW allows WA residents 60 and older to register for up to two classes per quarter for $5!
Do the "WA residents 60 and older" get to accumulate credits and apply them to a degree, or are the classes just "auditing," i.e. attending but not getting credit?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Just make sure you're not relegated to being an auditor. If I recall back in the day, seniors could audit classes at my U, and one day in class a prof called on a student, who said she was told she was not allowed to participate because she was an auditor. (She was a senior). The prof then chastised her for telling her she was auditing! Evidently, she wasn't suppose to say that.

Seems to me it was a catch-22. Hope it's different today.

She never came back to class, and I didn't blame her.
I would never attend a participatory-type class without participating. It's insulting and it's also not in my nature not to participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement