U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 06:34 PM

20,256 posts, read 12,123,341 times

Advertisements

I am 63 this year and I will work and chase the money until my 67th b-day- I can't collect all my SS until 66- so one year of work-I will pay everybody I can off- (it's just me)... I have done what I can to relive stress-and prepare for lower income- I do know tomorrow is NOT promised to anyone- my Bro in Law died -Nov at 60! and he was slow and easy- and took many days off in the mountains of NC- now nobody will be convincing me to chase more money- this is a trend on my job-- stay until this date-- bla bla- pull another year -- no I have my plan -now let see if God agrees- sorry for you loss- listen to your own counsel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 07:49 PM

56,093 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
You said you were there on 9/11. How did you get out of the tower?
Ran. Ran. Ran. Well, sometimes the stairs slowed as people came in from other floors, but in my memory, those first ten flights or so I am flying down in a spiral, my feet not touching the stairs, dragging my friend and yelling RUN!!

Old 03-26-2016, 07:57 PM

6,333 posts, read 3,408,041 times
My grandmother elected to start collecting SS at age 62.

She lived to 91, and said she wised she'd waited till 65.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:05 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,561,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This is the problem when you put all your faith in financial experts. There was another thread in here recently talking about how you need not one million but two million in order to even think about retiring. What a bunch of crap both these figures are.
Personally, I believe many people that "choose" to work into their late sixties and seventies do so because they really like their easy jobs and feel useless without going to work everyday. Your brother was the exception and was given very bad advice. Very sadly he listened to them instead of doing what he wanted to.
I'm so tired of "experts" telling me I need to be wealthy in order to retire. I'm not wealthy, never have been and never will be. That doesn't mean I can't be happy, have a nice little inexpensive house or apartment in a nice little town and live the way I want to. Will I be taking trips around the world, eating at 5 star restaurants, attending the opera and ballet on a regular basis and buying expensive gifts for Grandkids? NO. And I don't care.
I especially miss world class opera and ballet like you can get in places several times the cost of where I am. Oh, and spending $300 for a meal that after eaten still leaves me hungry. Hahahahaha.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:25 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,282,325 times
Life is fleeting, so moments can be worth more than all the money in the world. I suppose advisors and such are necessary for some to balance their lives out in retirement, but for me, I will take what comes as soon as I can, and try to strike harmony with a lifestyle I can afford. Life after work is individual to everyone, but the trick is to hold on to what really matters, and let the rest go. This July I am getting my first SS check, and never looking back.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:00 AM

2,371 posts, read 1,503,305 times
Sad story, and the experts with the mantra of received wisdom can be glib, but ultimately it's all a gamble.
Sorry for your loss.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:40 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,284,046 times
Quote:
I don't think some of you are being fair to the brother. He is relying on investment advisors to, wait for it, advise on his investments. They are the professionals and this is their field.
I'm not arguing with you. So please don't think I am. The final decision was his. If a bank tells you you can afford a 1,500 a month mortgage payment on a 50K a year salary…who should know best about whether you can afford that?…. the mortgage provider…or you…who has to pay your bills every month? The first thing I thought of when I read your comment was the foreclosed homeowners who said -- "well, the bank told me I could afford the house."

His family member tried to get him to re-think his plan and wasn't successful. Sometimes people work their entire lives and don't get to enjoy a retirement. It happens. A third or fourth opinion in this case might have helped. Then again, maybe not.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,318,850 times
All the "experts" whether it be Fidelity or someone on C-D do not have the insight into your personal spending or needs that you yourself have. Those that insist you need to wait until you are 70 to collect your SS don't speak of the "break-even" point. You are the only one that can determine what $$$ you need each month to live. We retired at 62 and have NEVER regretted it.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:20 AM

71,625 posts, read 71,751,865 times
fidelity has their new social security optimizer software which they use in house only . we got our own ss plan from it .

but ,and big but , it only seeks to find the most dollars for you . it takes no personal goals , taxes or spending patterns in to account .

Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Life is fleeting, so moments can be worth more than all the money in the world. I suppose advisors and such are necessary for some to balance their lives out in retirement, but for me, I will take what comes as soon as I can, and try to strike harmony with a lifestyle I can afford. Life after work is individual to everyone, but the trick is to hold on to what really matters, and let the rest go. This July I am getting my first SS check, and never looking back.
Quite true. For example no one can evaluate the ill effects of continuing in a job which one hates (and I note you did not say you hate yours) except the person suffering those ill effects of too much stress, dread, etc. In the case detailed in the original post, it is pretty clear, especially with hindsight, that the OP's brother was mistaken to continue working as long as he did. Once there is a certain minimum of financial security, a little more or a little less money may well be of small or even no importance in the overall scheme of "what really matters".

May you always be content with the decision you have made; that seems likely because you are very clear that it is the right decision for you.

But for some people "what really matters" is met in large part through work: Intellectual challenge, the gratification of helping others, daily social interaction with other human beings, etc. Not everything is on hold while still working, either. If relationships with family are important, we can make out-of-state trips to visit family during vacation time while working, although that might be limited to once or twice or year and so "what really matters" could be increasing that face-to-face time by relocating to be close to family, which in turn might only be possible after retiring from work.

So indeed, it's "individual to everyone".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or