U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^^^Bada Bing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 01:39 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,439,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm 59 and plan on retiring at 60. Will work part-time if I can find something low stress, easy, for the money which I'll need and because I know I'll tend to become a hermit and married to my couch.

I do agonize about it being too early. But then I skim the CNN news site and freak at all the people who die in their 50s and early 60s. This is at least weekly. Then I read the at least monthly articles about how single people with no social network always die much earlier than every one else (that's me). So apparently I'm not going to live as long as everyone else.

Then I agonize some more, I don't spend a lot but then again when I do run into a problem or something I want I'm not used to worrying about it and will throw money at it.

I've done some pre-retirement health screening. Got a lung cancer screening which found a nodule. Could be nothing, could be something.

IDK its a constant see saw but I just can't stand work anymore; the windowless building, the annoying people and twisted bureaucracy, the beginnings of feeling incompetent because of the constantly multiplying number of computer accesses and web accounts and certificates and trying to keep them all going and remember it all ..... so....I'm going.

I hope to use my 401k to supplement pension to get me as far as I can stand past 62 to increase SS before I take it. I'll make that decision when I get there.
True, many people die in their 50s and 60s, but so do many people die in their teens, 20s, and 30s. Many infants die as well. But those people who die young are not the majority. The average life expectancy rates per country are what they are for a reason. Sure, there will always be freak cases where someone youngish and in seemingly good health just plops over dead. There will always be outliers and atypical cases. And the thing about living things is that all living things are essentially terminally ill; they all suffer from the terminal illness called death; it's just that some living things get to the end point sooner than others. But the human body is designed to live for many, many decades, but obviously some people only get a limited life. And I would wager that for a majority of people who die young, they are probably not the cleanest living or the most health-minded people on earth (with some exceptions of course). Many people that start dying in their 50s have often accumulated enough degenerative damage from poor habits and unhealthy living to start showing the effects of all that misuse and damage (and of course genetics plays a role, too, but lifestyle/environmental factors are a huge contributor).

Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,750,181 times
I am truly sorry to hear about your brother.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,483,631 times
I'm never going to retire but I will slow down at some point. I'm building in network marketing so there's no time frame and potential income is kind of unlimited but I'm striving for a minimum of six figures. I'm also considering getting a securities license and build up some assets under management for more residual income.

At 62 if I make it I'm getting my soc. sec. and look at the numbers. You have to live and there's is a reality. From a retirement point of view at 60 you have more years behind you than you have in front of you. You earned it so you should enjoy it.

Make a plan and work your plan. For those who only see social security as a means find a network marketing company you like and give building a business a try. Today the only reason to retire broke is lack of knowing about different opportunities

Old 03-27-2016, 07:19 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I'm never going to retire but I will slow down at some point. I'm building in network marketing so there's no time frame and potential income is kind of unlimited but I'm striving for a minimum of six figures. I'm also considering getting a securities license and build up some assets under management for more residual income.

At 62 if I make it I'm getting my soc. sec. and look at the numbers. You have to live and there's is a reality. From a retirement point of view at 60 you have more years behind you than you have in front of you. You earned it so you should enjoy it.

Make a plan and work your plan. For those who only see social security as a means find a network marketing company you like and give building a business a try. Today the only reason to retire broke is lack of knowing about different opportunities
Sounds like you have been to an Amway meeting.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,465,270 times
Yes, I agree with the take the social security ASAP crowd. That's what I did and I'm glad I did it.
When I was young cancer seemed like it was rare. Now, it seems I know more who have cancer of some sort than ever before. Is it something in the atmosphere or what?

Old 03-27-2016, 07:48 PM

14,667 posts, read 9,720,714 times
There is understandably a desire to spend every last penny you have before you die. You can't plan life with that precision. Live it up and if money is left over when you die, what do you care? Your heirs will get them.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,367,063 times
I get it. Sometimes you do everything in life right, in the order you are supposed to, and death just sticks it's big nose in your life and messes it up.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 PM

9,194 posts, read 9,275,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
This is just another example of why social security should not exist. It should be privatized. Let people plan for their own retirements. If they want to run out of money at 70 and end up homeless, that should be their choice. If they want to work until they are 75 and only take 2% of their retirement fund out each year to ensure they can be financially stable until 120, then so be it.

Government should be there to solve problems that individuals can't... like deal with wars, stop illness epidemics, etc. Let me take care of myself and my family. I don't need the government for that.
You are entitled to your opinion.

However, the opinion that counts is that of the voters and the representatives that we have elected to Congress. Social Security is an extremely popular program and if any Congressmen oppose it than its a mere handful out of 535.

If you really have a bone to pick with Social Security you can try to persuade our Congress to repeal it. However, you would be pursuing a fool's errand because the vast majority of people believe in it.

Social Security exists to prevent the impoverishment and destitution of large segments of the elderly who cannot or will not plan for a retirement.

By the same token, most of us reject your extremely limited view of what government should do.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:22 AM

1,352 posts, read 964,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
A very sad story indeed, and you have my sincerest condolences. That being said, there is a lesson to be learned here, which is do NOT rely on the US Federal government to secure your retirement needs. Max out your 401k's, IRA's and every possible savings vehicle you can afford.

Plan ahead....way ahead.

SS
This is a sad story, but I don't understand where you say the lesson to be learned in not to rely on the Federal Govt to secure your retirement needs. The OP was using an example of how is brother, with no debt probably could have retired earlier and might have enjoyed it for a few years. Yet the brother listened to his "financial advisors" (who were probably more worried about their commissions) and stayed at a job he hated, with more stress and died shortly after retiring. Social Security had NOTHING to do with it other than he'd just started collecting. But it's the guvmints fault!

I recently retired from a job I liked, with a good pension at 62. I gave up a few dollars, but the job had changed since 2008 and management just kept trying to squeeze more out of you. It got so I dreaded going into work. I talk to a few people that still work there and they tell me about the latest bs and I'm just happy I'm no longer there. I'll find something p/t to do to get me out of the house, for a few extra bucks, but I have enough with pension and s/s that I don't have to work, and NO stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or