Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No doubt about it those are two different things.

I discuss this with a couple of coworkers -- one who's 67 waited until his age 66 FRA, another who's 73 now and took it early at 65, and who are still working full time. The 67 year old who'll be 68 this year says he's couldn't wait to start collecting, meaning he was chomping at the bit. He's a bird-in-the-hand guy, and wanted "his money." You just can't convince him that waiting could be better. Taxation or not, they just won't even consider that waiting MIGHT have been better. One is making 70K a year. Another, is making about 150K a year, collecting ANOTHER pension, AND getting Soc Sec. You should see their eyes gleam when they talk about collecting their Soc Sec.
In your narrative is a very important consideration. What will that SS benefit be on top of? Nothing? Annuities, pensions, a spouses benefit on their own or investments. SS on top of and in addition to 120k without has a different impact than on top of 20K without. The margin of error is a tad different and ability to delay much different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,275 times
I retired at age of 53.5 and started receiving my reduced pension at 55. I have traveled and enjoyed my life. I will be 70 this Saturday. I have a huge mortgage debt but generally enjoy my life which is full of hobbies such as reading, making wine, playing the guitar, daily exercise and walks and eating healthy. I don't have any money in the bank or wallet but that doesn't stop me from having fun and enjoying my life. My stress factor is pretty low. I believe that our society is too greedy about money and material things and this is killing too many people. Eating out in restaurants too often does nothing for one's longevity.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:05 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Eating in restaurants certainly does improve my longevity.

In case you don't know , my wife is on city data. Her name is badcook5 . In our house we say our prayers after we eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement