Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:32 AM

20 posts, read 22,605 times

Advertisements

My brother hated his job but followed the financial experts who said he should wait until he was 67 before he retired and collect social security. The experts said he needed at least a million in investment and retirement accounts or he could not retire. He was just short of that figure so he decided to wait and collect more money.

The years between his 62nd and 67th birthday were tough. He hated working and his employer was always trying to get him to quit. It was tough on his mind body and spirit. Finally he reached age 67 and formally retired. A few months later he died suddenly of a massive heart attack.

If only he did not follow those silly experts, maybe he would still be alive today or at least his last five years would have been better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 11:39 AM

21 posts, read 19,166 times
I am sorry to hear about your brother, but none of us knows how long we will live.
Sad stories such as what happened to your brother happen, but on the flip side perhaps
he would have lived another 20 years and ended up running out of money.
There is just no way to predict.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Very very sad. I am of the mind that no one should stay in a job they absolutely hate. No matter what. It does bad stuff to your body and your mind and can affect the rest of your life. Mean evil bosses (and co workers) can have a negative effect on your well being. It's too bad he chose to listen to those "experts" who should have considered how badly your brother wanted out.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:54 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Staying in a job that you hate generates stress. Too much stress can kill you.

Too bad he had to find that out the hard way.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:59 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Sorry for your lost.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
OP, I am so sorry about the loss of your brother.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:10 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
So sorry for your loss. The best that the "experts" can do is give advice based upon life expectancy tables and cost of living calculations. I'm sure that had they known about your brother's future, they would have advised him differently. But, how could they know ?

Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 PM

684 posts, read 514,518 times
I was once told by someone to start paying attention to how many people that I personally know who began to collect social security, then watch to see how long they live after their benefits begin and notice how many die not long afterwards. This person claimed that there was some sort of conspiracy that caused people who began collecting Social Security to die shortly after because the system didn't want to pay out the money.

I laughed it off as being unfounded and nutty... that was until my father retied and began collecting his social security and 5 months later he died. The social security had recently sent him his payment but there is a clause in Social Security that says if the person dies within 8-10 days? after receiving their last SS payment that the payment must be returned to the government. Of course even if the individual paid into SS their entire life once they die their benefits (their money) cannot be given or transferred to their heirs, the government keeps it all.

It wasn't a few months later I then noticed another person I knew begin to collect SS and they too died soon after. Then a year later the same thing with my uncle, he began collecting SS and within 5-6 months he died too.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:22 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Why didn't he retire immediately, like right now?

Old 03-25-2016, 12:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
I was once told by someone to start paying attention to how many people that I personally know who began to collect social security, then watch to see how long they live after their benefits begin and notice how many die not long afterwards. This person claimed that there was some sort of conspiracy that caused people who began collecting Social Security to die shortly after because the system didn't want to pay out the money.

I laughed it off as being unfounded and nutty... that was until my father retied and began collecting his social security and 5 months later he died. The social security had recently sent him his payment but there is a clause in Social Security that says if the person dies within 8-10 days? after receiving their last SS payment that the payment must be returned to the government. Of course even if the individual paid into SS their entire life once they die their benefits (their money) cannot be given or transferred to their heirs, the government keeps it all.

It wasn't a few months later I then noticed another person I knew begin to collect SS and they too died soon after. Then a year later the same thing with my uncle, he began collecting SS and within 5-6 months he died too.
My dad's been retired 20+ years. Retired at 65 (it was required by his employer at the time). As far as I can tell he began collecting SS immediately at that time.

Did I mention that was 20+ years ago?

I'm terribly sorry when anyone dies prematurely, that's always a tragedy. It is not however a grand SS conspiracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement