U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,862,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Tension rod wouldn't work in the front window, too shallow, and also, it wouldn't look nice and would limit what I can hang.

Originally when I put this up, it was for these bamboo accordion-type things that had drapery grommets, but they were pretty heavy. It took me all day and a phone call to a brother who told me to use the toggle things with the screws and a trip to Lowes for that. I now have lightweight drapes on, but I just don't know how to fix this.

There are three things that attach to the wall and hold up the rod.

This is the one on the left. As you can see the toggle thing is out of the wall and there is a hole. I don't know how to fix this.

This is the one in the middle. It is barely hanging in. The one on the right is ok because there's probably a stud behind it so it has something to hold onto.

So you can see my dilemma. I don't know how to fix it, but a handyman can't be bothered with me because it's too small for them.

I know, I know, take the whole drapery rod down, but it's my front window--what do I do then, tack a sheet over my living room window, lol? I'm on the condo board--they'd have a field day with that! We've already got a hoarder here who covers her windows with sheets so that nobody looks in. That's what I will have to do, though, if it falls down before I can get somebody.
My fiancé suggested a metal toggle bolt might be able to go back inside that hole, and the metal toggle bolt could support the weight of that drapery rod. Those plastic thingies aren't strong enough.

He also said, next time use a drill to make a hole instead of a screwdriver in the drywall before you hammer the plastic thingy in.

I'm learning too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,824,529 times
Quote:
That's a good idea. Lowes is about a mile away. Maybe if I show those pictures, they can tell me what to do. I'd really rather have somebody who knows what they're doing fix it, though, plus I probably don't have the tools.

The spray thing for the kitchen sink leaks, and I saw them in Lowes the other other day so I bought one. $8. I thought I could just take the old one off, but noooooo, it requires pliers, some sort of a tape thing, and a third tool. I'd need to spend like $50 on new tools just to install an $8 part. So I have to live with the hose pulled out and the spray thing lying in the sink so water doesn't run under the sink. This is what I mean! It's all these small jobs that no one will do. You married ladies with handy husbands (or sons) better appreciate them!

I have a hammer and an electric screwdriver, as well as manual screwdrivers, but that's about it.
Instead of trying to find someone to do a single thing, maybe you can make a list of every little thing you need done and then find someone to do all of them. That might make it more enticing for someone to do the work.

For instance:

Repair the wall where the rod came out
Fix the leaky sprayer
Finish painting the room (lol)
Move furniture

or whatever else you need done that might be small things.

That may be a couple hours of work or maybe even a half-day of work. Someone will come out for that.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:21 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
Quote:
Tension rod wouldn't work in the front window, too shallow, and also, it wouldn't look nice and would limit what I can hang.

Originally when I put this up, it was for these bamboo accordion-type things that had drapery grommets, but they were pretty heavy. It took me all day and a phone call to a brother who told me to use the toggle things with the screws and a trip to Lowes for that. I now have lightweight drapes on, but I just don't know how to fix this.

There are three things that attach to the wall and hold up the rod.

This is the one on the left. As you can see the toggle thing is out of the wall and there is a hole. I don't know how to fix this.

This is the one in the middle. It is barely hanging in. The one on the right is ok because there's probably a stud behind it so it has something to hold onto.

So you can see my dilemma. I don't know how to fix it, but a handyman can't be bothered with me because it's too small for them.

I know, I know, take the whole drapery rod down, but it's my front window--what do I do then, tack a sheet over my living room window, lol? I'm on the condo board--they'd have a field day with that! We've already got a hoarder here who covers her windows with sheets so that nobody looks in. That's what I will have to do, though, if it falls down before I can get somebody.
I'm guessing the rods are adjustable for length? The screws and molly's are great but you may be missing 1 important piece of equipment. You need to buy a little gizmo called a stud finder. Small, usually battery operated and it's not expensive. They spot electric/cable wires behind the sheetrock too. Use a pencil and mark your studs then figure out how to make it work aesthetically.

BTW one of the best things I learned to do when painting myself was saving a small jar/bottle of every paint to use later for touchups. Because stuff always happens.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:32 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
I love my old house when it comes to hanging things.

The walls are solid wood - shiplap I guess you can call it - I can drill a hole and hang anything anywhere!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:37 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,903,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Instead of trying to find someone to do a single thing, maybe you can make a list of every little thing you need done and then find someone to do all of them. That might make it more robleenticing for someone to do the work.

For instance:

Fix the leaky sprayer
Move furniture

That may be a couple hours of work or maybe even a half-day of work. Someone will come out for that.
Good advice here /\

Check Craigslist for a handyman. Maybe post a help wanted notice in a church or library lobby. Many handyman types are older -- even retired -- guys looking for something to do and someone to help, rather than looking to make a lot of money.

Speaking for myself, I fit that description and enjoy attacking those kinds of problems. It's funny how much more fulfilling it is sometimes to do for others than it is to work on stuff in your own home. It seems like less of a chore, somehow.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 PM

8,786 posts, read 7,704,486 times
Sell the place and get a rental appt. Or just chose to live with the paint color. Does it really matter that much?

Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Many smaller hardware stores have lists of people they recommend for various jobs - from general handymen to painters to whatever. Home Depot also had a list for certain things.

For your drapery hole - I would move the brackets to a new spot (much sturdier) and then fix the hole.

I had to learn to do many of these kinds of jobs when I bought an old English tudor that was in bad shape aesthetically but had good bones, updated plumbing, electrical, windows etc... I was very poor at the time and didn't have the option of hiring anything done.

As for kids - I can only speak for the ones I've hired here for things like mowing, various outdoor clean up.

Their toys now are very expensive - electronic, high priced bikes - and they have obviously learned from their parents. They expect PHD wages for 12 year old ability. Plus, you have to "babysit" them.

I hired a 12 year old last summer that was such a kid - they want the money but they forget they have to do the work and do a good job. I was very patient with him for several weeks - overpaid him and his mother wanted me there when he was there. I finally fired him. I'd rather do that mowing myself then deal with this kid. He didn't have a clue what he was doing and would lip off when I'd explain how he should do it. After he left I'd have to start the mower and go all around all the borders (driveway, landscaping etc..)

I realize there are kids out there that don't behave like this but I have a feeling they are exceptions.

Last edited by Umbria; 03-28-2016 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 02:35 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,035,798 times
Quote:
That's a good idea. Lowes is about a mile away. Maybe if I show those pictures, they can tell me what to do. I'd really rather have somebody who knows what they're doing fix it, though, plus I probably don't have the tools.

The spray thing for the kitchen sink leaks, and I saw them in Lowes the other other day so I bought one. $8. I thought I could just take the old one off, but noooooo, it requires pliers, some sort of a tape thing, and a third tool. I'd need to spend like $50 on new tools just to install an $8 part. So I have to live with the hose pulled out and the spray thing lying in the sink so water doesn't run under the sink. This is what I mean! It's all these small jobs that no one will do. You married ladies with handy husbands (or sons) better appreciate them!

I have a hammer and an electric screwdriver, as well as manual screwdrivers, but that's about it.
Well, I have to admit that the last.time we had a kitchen sink faucet leak, I thought it would be easy for Mr. Travelassie to change it out for a new one. But he has gotten a whole lot more reluctant to do those things, saying it's not so simple anymore and requires tools he doesn'T have. So we got a plumber to install the new faucet, and yeah, it was a lot more complicated and required tools we didn'T have. So hubbies can be good for lots of things, but.not always DIY projects.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:38 PM

56,084 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My level of competence is changing a light bulb. But I can't even do that on a ceiling fixture (which is why we put in LED bulbs). My husband is even less competent than I am.

I think one key is finding a home handy person - and giving that person a certain amount of work a year. Not one little thing at a time - but several little things at a time. So you develop a relationship. That's what we've been doing for the last 20 years.

One reason this stuff is hard for normal people is we don't have the right tools. The painters I've seen don't paint ceilings - especially high ceilings - on ladders. They use scaffolds:

Metaltech Multipurpose 6ft. Baker-Style Scaffold — 1000-Lb. Capacity, Steel, Model# I-CISC | Scaffolding| Northern Tool + Equipment

What normal person owns a scaffold?

When it comes to kids - beware of federal and state child labor laws. They can be quite strict. And you can wind up in deep doo-doo if a kid gets hurt. I much prefer using an older person who owns a lot of tools. Robyn
That's a good point about liability.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:46 PM

56,084 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Instead of trying to find someone to do a single thing, maybe you can make a list of every little thing you need done and then find someone to do all of them. That might make it more enticing for someone to do the work.

For instance:

Fix the leaky sprayer
Move furniture

That's what I want to do. Have someone come and knock out a list of stuff I need done. The drapery rod fix is just the most pressing.

I WILL get the room painted. That's one of those things that you just shouldn't pay someone else to do if you're somewhat able-bodied, in my mind. It's like instant mashed potatoes or canned frosting. It's not really wrong to use them, but it FEELS wrong and lazy to use them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or