U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 02:48 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,340,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

... and I can't stand white walls ...
Haha! The very first thing on my project list when I bought my house was to paint the walls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 02:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
That's a good point about liability.
Yeah - 12 years old is kind of young to be mowing a lawn unsupervised in my opinion. My father was always around when he was showing my brothers how to use a lawn mower. They were maybe 15/16 when they did that by themselves. Bigger and stronger.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
That's what I want to do. Have someone come and knock out a list of stuff I need done. The drapery rod fix is just the most pressing.

I WILL get the room painted. That's one of those things that you just shouldn't pay someone else to do if you're somewhat able-bodied, in my mind. It's like instant mashed potatoes or canned frosting. It's not really wrong to use them, but it FEELS wrong and lazy to use them!
You would be surprised at the difference using a professional painter makes. It gets done faster and they have tricks and ways of doing things that you wouldn't think of.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
You would be surprised at the difference using a professional painter makes. It gets done faster and they have tricks and ways of doing things that you wouldn't think of.
and to use your example, yes it is like using canned frosting or instant mashed potatoes - DIY painting that is.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:39 PM

56,093 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Good advice here /\

Check Craigslist for a handyman. Maybe post a help wanted notice in a church or library lobby. Many handyman types are older -- even retired -- guys looking for something to do and someone to help, rather than looking to make a lot of money.

Speaking for myself, I fit that description and enjoy attacking those kinds of problems. It's funny how much more fulfilling it is sometimes to do for others than it is to work on stuff in your own home. It seems like less of a chore, somehow.
Hey, I never thought of the library. I have a huge branch of our county library system five minutes away, and I bet they have a bulletin board. Always stuff going on there. One of my favorite places. Thank you!

Old 03-28-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
and to use your example, yes it is like using canned frosting or instant mashed potatoes - DIY painting that is.
Hahaha. Well, as I outlined in my first post, I don't have the money for a professional painter this round. I retired four weeks ago, but I haven't gotten the first check yet and even when I do, it's a bit reduced and based on the estimated benefit for six months while they calculate the actual amount based on vacation owed and whatnot.

I just want to get this place in order so I can get on with my real retirement! When you are home during daylight hours and out of the mental fog of the working life, you see all kinds of things you never saw before.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:48 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I have found that handymen tend to disappear. I find a good one and the next time I can't find them. The last time I was desperate and made a list from the BBB of companies who do handyman stuff. I knew they would cost more, and I was lucky to then get a recommendation from my neighbor for a guy who turned out to be super good. I had him fix everything that had needed it for a couple of years. I suppose he will also be out of business the next time I need work done.
Think we lucked out. Our handyman was the super when we built our house 20 years ago - when he was in his late 20's. When his boss - our GC - went bust - he went out on his own. He's a stable guy. Married - with children. Think he'll be around for us for a long time. Robyn

Old 03-28-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sell the place and get a rental appt. Or just chose to live with the paint color. Does it really matter that much?
I agree with you to some extent. If you can't do things yourself in a reasonably comfortable/competent fashion - or hire someone to do those things for you - then it's time to give up the single family house. Unless you are ok with a house that is falling down around you. Robyn

Old 03-28-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sell the place and get a rental appt. Or just chose to live with the paint color. Does it really matter that much?
Always a Negative Nelly in every crowd.

First of all, how well would I do selling a condo I bought only five years ago? I owe what it's worth, if I am lucky. I bought it to get old here. One story, no front steps, mortgage within my retirement budget. I rented all my life, as I already have said. No thanks.

And yes, it matters to me to have a nice room done the way I want it to look rather than old scratched off-white walls. If I wanted to live in such a depressing atmosphere, I'd check into an institution.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Many smaller hardware stores have lists of people they recommend for various jobs - from general handymen to painters to whatever. Home Depot also had a list for certain things.

For your drapery hole - I would move the brackets to a new spot (much sturdier) and then fix the hole.

I had to learn to do many of these kinds of jobs when I bought an old English tudor that was in bad shape aesthetically but had good bones, updated plumbing, electrical, windows etc... I was very poor at the time and didn't have the option of hiring anything done.

As for kids - I can only speak for the ones I've hired here for things like mowing, various outdoor clean up.

Their toys now are very expensive - electronic, high priced bikes - and they have obviously learned from their parents. They expect PHD wages for 12 year old ability. Plus, you have to "babysit" them.

I hired a 12 year old last summer that was such a kid - they want the money but they forget they have to do the work and do a good job. I was very patient with him for several weeks - overpaid him and his mother wanted me there when he was there. I finally fired him. I'd rather do that mowing myself then deal with this kid. He didn't have a clue what he was doing and would lip off when I'd explain how he should do it. After he left I'd have to start the mower and go all around all the borders (driveway, landscaping etc..)

I realize there are kids out there that don't behave like this but I have a feeling they are exceptions.
You're lucky that your 12 year old "employee" didn't sprain an ankle - much less lose a toe mowing your lawn. That kid you hired would be illegal/below age in Florida. There is strict liability when below age kids get injured (often not covered by homeowners' insurance). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or