U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Reputation: 6716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, I have to admit that the last.time we had a kitchen sink faucet leak, I thought it would be easy for Mr. Travelassie to change it out for a new one. But he has gotten a whole lot more reluctant to do those things, saying it's not so simple anymore and requires tools he doesn'T have. So we got a plumber to install the new faucet, and yeah, it was a lot more complicated and required tools we didn'T have. So hubbies can be good for lots of things, but.not always DIY projects.
My husband is like mathjak. Last time he tried to change a shower head - he broke it. Luckily - he didn't break it that badly - so the plumber just charged us what it would have cost us to replace it in the first place.

My husband and I are still ok with doing some "donkey work". Like gardening. We'll be spreading mulch this week. No particular skill required (and we have the right tools). OTOH - we had Ace Hardware deliver the mulch to us - and drop the bags off all around the property. So all we have to do is cut the bags open - and spread the mulch out with rakes. Delivery cost $65. Well worth it. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,013 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Reputation: 66368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My husband is like mathjak. Last time he tried to change a shower head - he broke it. Luckily - he didn't break it that badly - so the plumber just charged us what it would have cost us to replace it in the first place.

My husband and I are still ok with doing some "donkey work". Like gardening. We'll be spreading mulch this week. No particular skill required (and we have the right tools). OTOH - we had Ace Hardware deliver the mulch to us - and drop the bags off all around the property. So all we have to do is cut the bags open - and spread the mulch out with rakes. Delivery cost $65. Well worth it. Robyn
I don't have to worry about outside except my little fenced-in garden area outside. There's a patio and just enough space for some flowers and a small vegetable garden. I love doing THAT stuff, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's what I want to do. Have someone come and knock out a list of stuff I need done. The drapery rod fix is just the most pressing.

I WILL get the room painted. That's one of those things that you just shouldn't pay someone else to do if you're somewhat able-bodied, in my mind. It's like instant mashed potatoes or canned frosting. It's not really wrong to use them, but it FEELS wrong and lazy to use them!
That's BS IMO. Like I'm really going to get up on a scaffold and paint our 10 foot ceilings - or down on my hands and knees to paint baseboards. I wouldn't have done it when I was your age - or 20 years younger - or at my current age (close to 70).

I realize some people are handier than others. But even our fathers - both VERY handy guys - owned houses that were in great disrepair when they sold them when they were in their 80's. Because even the handiest people slow down. And - if someone can't or won't spend the money to get what needs to be done - done - that is probably what someone will be looking at down the road. Our late mothers put up with that stuff - but I know I wouldn't/couldn't. I like to live in a nice place. If I can't afford the help I need to stay where I am - I will move to a more manageable place. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,013 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Reputation: 66368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That's BS IMO. Like I'm really going to get up on a scaffold and paint our 10 foot ceilings - or down on my hands and knees to paint baseboards. I wouldn't have done it when I was your age - or 20 years younger - or at my current age (close to 70).

I realize some people are handier than others. But even our fathers - both VERY handy guys - owned houses that were in great disrepair when they sold them when they were in their 80's. Because even the handiest people slow down. And - if someone can't or won't spend the money to get what needs to be done - done - that is probably what someone will be looking at down the road. Our late mothers put up with that stuff - but I know I wouldn't/couldn't. I like to live in a nice place. If I can't afford the help I need to stay where I am - I will move to a more manageable place. Robyn
Haha, well, I'm not talking about you and your ten foot ceilings. I'm talking about one smallish room.in my 942-square-foot condo, and six-foot-tall, inherently strong, 57-year-old ME. I've just lost a bit of my strength since I fell down my friend's stairs in January, don't have the money to throw away right now on someone to paint a room for me, and am just a little frustrated at my inability to whack this out quickly. I just moved the dresser again to get at another wall, and I'm taking a break. That's the way it is. The only alternative is to JUST NOT PAINT. I've waited five years to be able to have the time to fix up my home. I WILL get it done, but I'm not wealthy and so I will do what I can myself and pay someone to do what I cannot do. It just gets frustrating when it's all yours to do alone.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-28-2016 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:31 PM
 
6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Reputation: 12810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha. Well, as I outlined in my first post, I don't have the money for a professional painter this round. I retired four weeks ago, but I haven't gotten the first check yet and even when I do, it's a bit reduced and based on the estimated benefit for six months while they calculate the actual amount based on vacation owed and whatnot.

I just want to get this place in order so I can get on with my real retirement! When you are home during daylight hours and out of the mental fog of the working life, you see all kinds of things you never saw before.
You are supposed to take a year off and just relax when you retire!! Then you start tackling the projects. The urge might leave by then - lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Reputation: 10950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, well, I'm not talking about you and your ten foot ceilings. I'm talking about one smallish room.in my 942-square-foot condo, and six-foot-tall, inherently strong, 57-year-old ME. I've just lost a bit of my strength since I fell down my friend's stairs in January, don't have the money to throw away right now on someone to paint a room for me, and am just a little frustrated at my inability to whack this out quickly. I just moved the dresser again to get at another wall, and I'm taking a break. That's the way it is. The only alternative is to JUST NOT PAINT. I've waited five years to be able to have the time to fix up my home. I WILL get it done, but I'm not wealthy and so I will do what I can myself and pay someone to do what I cannot do.

Long an interesting thread! I can so relate to ALL of it. When I bought my house a year ago I had all sorts of ambitions for it. First thing was PAINT. Half the walls in this house have never been fully painted, which I didn't notice till I happened to see how the sun was shining on them one day. Half a wall semi gloss and the other half flat matte! I DID get my one big room painted because it was depressing and UGLY...dark forest green! Now it's a pale creamy yellow and I love it. I did get the guest bedroom painted but had to have help to finish the guest bath because, like some others, I have very high ceilings. I need to repaint the bedroom and bath though because it's just 'too much' blue and I want it much lighter. I have a LOT of big wide open walls which should make it easy to paint but they are stucco and not easy at all. And there's so much of them it's intimidating. Now I'm depressed because I feel like I'm never going to be able to do the things I want to with my house and I love it so much.


I have a 'deal' with an organization...or supposed to have...where they do things for me in exchange for using my large storage for all their landscaping, etc. tools but about all they have time for, it seems, is keeping the weeds down. I have pavers to be made into a sidewalk that have been sitting there for months. Evidently they are just 'too busy' to get around to it. There are things I want to change in my kitchen to give me more counter/storage space. I don't have the tools I need to do much of anything. I think what's going to happen is that I'm going to the bank, get a smallish home improvement loan and get it all done. I have the money in the bank to get it done but then I wouldn't have the money anymore! I figure since my car is paid off now I can afford a small loan payment again for my house.


When I moved in here I had wall to wall drapes in my bedroom. Very nice ones with the really nice hardware, etc. but it made the room way too dark so I took them down and replaced with sheers. Looks much better but now I have those beautiful drapes and don't know what to do with them! Also have four places where the hardware was that will need to be fixed. I don't know how to do any of that stuff.


So, yes, I sometimes want to just sit and cry too. So much I want to do and I'll be 74 this year so my energy is waning...damn it!!...and it just needs done! If I didn't have to work I might be able to do a little at a time but that's never going to happen so I'm going to try to just get it all knocked out and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,013 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Reputation: 66368
^Thanks, nice that you get it, although it sounds as if you are frustrated, too.

When my dd was growing up, I rented a sfh. I let the guys next door use my garage for storage in exchange for mowing my lawn and shoveling my driveway. I also had a roommate who loved to paint. (Didn't get my security back, of course, for doing that, but I wasn't going to raise my child in a house with all white walls.)

Then when I moved here, my dd and her bf painted all the rooms except for mine. Then she went back to college and then she moved to China. She's back in the US, but in another state now. No help there.

This is the only place I ever owned and will ever own. It's small and not fancy, but I want it to be nice.

I will have to go back to work sooner or later. Still paying for my share of the college bills. Plus some of my ex's share, too. He lost his job halfway through so I had to pick up the slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Reputation: 16278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You're lucky that your 12 year old "employee" didn't sprain an ankle - much less lose a toe mowing your lawn. That kid you hired would be illegal/below age in Florida. There is strict liability when below age kids get injured (often not covered by homeowners' insurance). Robyn

I get what you're saying and that is one of the reasons I let him go. His mother emailed me to see if I wanted her son to come back - no. They do dumb stuff like - "I wonder what will happen if I mow over this full bag of mulch." It was my mower and he just about ruined it.


No more kids here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 05:53 PM
 
2,702 posts, read 3,738,719 times
Reputation: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Ask the boys from the football team at a local high school to come over and move your stuff.

They would enjoy helping an old lady.
Not sure where or WHEN you live, but that wouldn't happen around here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,047 posts, read 10,431,986 times
Reputation: 15678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

What normal person owns a scaffold?
I've just rented scaffolding when I needed it. See for example https://tinyurl.com/hvhqgw2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top