Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times

Advertisements

Too late to help, MightyQueen, but this explains my life long affection for blinds. I never wanted to pay for having drapes done professionally and I never had the skills to do it myself.

Travelassie's suggestion sounds like a good one.

I do some crying myself over the getting old/ can't climb/ can't lift issues...... usually when I am mad. I do have a young man in my neighborhood who put up fliers a couple of years ago looking for yardwork. I call him. I admire him for his initiative and I pay him well. I don't think there are many like him anymore and I dread the day when he leaves home.

Having said that, your job looks like one for a professional to me. I would cut out a square of drywall and put in a board between the studs where I want to secure the rod. Patch drywall, paint, and install rod. That's what I would do if I could still do diddly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:03 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I envy women who can just snap their fingers and someone appears to do these things for them. I am just not handy at all.

Ok, going back in there.
A few thoughts:

1) I've found YouTube to be a great resource to teach me how to do things that I didn't know how to do. Try searching YouTube -- you'd be surprised at how much great stuff is on there -- everything from making a souffle at high altitude to rebuilding a snowblower transmission. And yes, the proper way to paint your room. Watching a YouTube video a few times is a great resource to help you achieve your goals.

2) I personally volunteer in a 55+ community with a group called "Neighbors Assisting Neighbors." We can do such home maintenance tasks for people who can't. Perhaps there is such an organization where you live.

3) Contact local high school service clubs such as Interact or Key Club or others. These service clubs look for projects to make a difference in the local communities. Some students might be very eager to help you.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Hooboy, I see what you mean! I think I'd be sitting there scratching my head wondering what to do next to get this fixed. But at the risk of sounding like I think I'm Handiwoman Harriet when I really am all thumbs, I'd be figuring that there are two jobs there replacing the curtain rod, and fixing the hole. Looks as though you had the proper hardware to keep the curtain rod from pulling out the first time (perhaps, at looks like it to an amateur like me) for lighter curtains, maybe the curtains you had were too heavy, or were inadvertently tugged on over time during cleaning, or stressed somehow to make the whole thing fall like that?.

Mignt it be possible to start over again, moving the rod enough to get away from that hole, either further away or closer to the window, and use those lighter curtains, not heavy ones?

There are kits and instructions out there to repair drywall. What I might do, if I were in your shoes and wanted to either fix this muhself, or see about finding someone who could fix it, is to head to a hardware store (big box or local, depending on what's available), with those pictures, ask a saleperson there for some help, ie, how to properly hang a curtain rod so it stays put, what materials you might need and how to do it. And the same for repairing the hole in the wall. They're pretty helpful around here in those places, and they also have a list of handymen who contract with the hardware stores to install items bought there, and for odd jobs. Might be you could get the help you need to fix your problems there, or find someone who is willing to do it.
That's a good idea. Lowes is about a mile away. Maybe if I show those pictures, they can tell me what to do. I'd really rather have somebody who knows what they're doing fix it, though, plus I probably don't have the tools.

The spray thing for the kitchen sink leaks, and I saw them in Lowes the other other day so I bought one. $8. I thought I could just take the old one off, but noooooo, it requires pliers, some sort of a tape thing, and a third tool. I'd need to spend like $50 on new tools just to install an $8 part. So I have to live with the hose pulled out and the spray thing lying in the sink so water doesn't run under the sink. This is what I mean! It's all these small jobs that no one will do. You married ladies with handy husbands (or sons) better appreciate them!

I have a hammer and an electric screwdriver, as well as manual screwdrivers, but that's about it.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM

24 posts, read 28,298 times
All the time, I tell myself it could be worse! Being 56, taking care of my disabled 60 yr old sister and 80 yr old mother whom both take constant care. I am downsizing, cleaning, painting, packing early for my own retirement. HELP? what is that? Pace yourself. Rest as often as needed. Have a friend on speed dial. I have called agencies and no help for us. Google "Easier ways to do everything" I did.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:16 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
...it gets overwhelming. There is so much, and I don't have an excuse anymore.
You've probably heard the old saw: "How do you eat an elephant??? One bite at a time."

Following is a trick I use. First I list out all the projects. Then, for each project, I use a sheet of paper (or excel spreadsheet page) to list each and every task needed to complete the project.

Here is the trick: most people, when they finish a task, will cross it off. Don't do that. Instead, use a yellow highlighter to highlight that task.

Why? It causes you to focus on how much you've already accomplished -- a little positive reinforcement -- instead of how much is left to do.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A few thoughts:

1) I've found YouTube to be a great resource to teach me how to do things that I didn't know how to do. Try searching YouTube -- you'd be surprised at how much great stuff is on there -- everything from making a souffle at high altitude to rebuilding a snowblower transmission. And yes, the proper way to paint your room. Watching a YouTube video a few times is a great resource to help you achieve your goals.

2) I personally volunteer in a 55+ community with a group called "Neighbors Assisting Neighbors." We can do such home maintenance tasks for people who can't. Perhaps there is such an organization where you live.

3) Contact local high school service clubs such as Interact or Key Club or others. These service clubs look for projects to make a difference in the local communities. Some students might be very eager to help you.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You've probably heard the old saw: "How do you eat an elephant??? One bite at a time."

Following is a trick I use. First I list out all the projects. Then, for each project, I use a sheet of paper (or excel spreadsheet page) to list each and every task needed to complete the project.

Here is the trick: most people, when they finish a task, will cross it off. Don't do that. Instead, use a yellow highlighter to highlight that task.

Why? It causes you to focus on how much you've already accomplished -- a little positive reinforcement -- instead of how much is left to do.
That's great. I have to break down any big task, even when I was working at a desk, or I can get overwhelmed. I like your highlighter method.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:53 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
That's a good idea. Lowes is about a mile away. Maybe if I show those pictures, they can tell me what to do. I'd really rather have somebody who knows what they're doing fix it, though, plus I probably don't have the tools.

The spray thing for the kitchen sink leaks, and I saw them in Lowes the other other day so I bought one. $8. I thought I could just take the old one off, but noooooo, it requires pliers, some sort of a tape thing, and a third tool. I'd need to spend like $50 on new tools just to install an $8 part. So I have to live with the hose pulled out and the spray thing lying in the sink so water doesn't run under the sink. This is what I mean! It's all these small jobs that no one will do. You married ladies with handy husbands (or sons) better appreciate them!

I have a hammer and an electric screwdriver, as well as manual screwdrivers, but that's about it.
A plumber will do that. It might be expensive, but it gets done.

I hate those sprayer things. My roommate changed it out the last time it leaked, but even then I was ready to call someone. He has a bad knee and has gained some weight in the middle. Getting under the sink cabinet is not as easy for him.

I personally hate the cursing and yelling, when all it would take is some young plumber guy to come in, keep his mouth shut and do the job - lol!

Old 03-28-2016, 12:19 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
My level of competence is changing a light bulb. But I can't even do that on a ceiling fixture (which is why we put in LED bulbs). My husband is even less competent than I am.

I think one key is finding a home handy person - and giving that person a certain amount of work a year. Not one little thing at a time - but several little things at a time. So you develop a relationship. That's what we've been doing for the last 20 years.

One reason this stuff is hard for normal people is we don't have the right tools. The painters I've seen don't paint ceilings - especially high ceilings - on ladders. They use scaffolds:

Metaltech Multipurpose 6ft. Baker-Style Scaffold — 1000-Lb. Capacity, Steel, Model# I-CISC | Scaffolding| Northern Tool + Equipment

What normal person owns a scaffold?

When it comes to kids - beware of federal and state child labor laws. They can be quite strict. And you can wind up in deep doo-doo if a kid gets hurt. I much prefer using an older person who owns a lot of tools. Robyn

Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:

That's the point of this whole thread. What do people like me do who aren't handy, don't have anyone to help, and can't get a handyman to return a call?
I have found that handymen tend to disappear. I find a good one and the next time I can't find them. The last time I was desperate and made a list from the BBB of companies who do handyman stuff. I knew they would cost more, and I was lucky to then get a recommendation from my neighbor for a guy who turned out to be super good. I had him fix everything that had needed it for a couple of years. I suppose he will also be out of business the next time I need work done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement