U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:56 AM

7,187 posts, read 11,238,374 times

Advertisements

We contracted to build a new tract house nearby to our former home. I visited the site every other day and paid particular attention to the customized items we chose (outlets, cable locations, closet locations, etc.). I took lots of pictures so I knew where things were after the house was completed.

I offered my observations to the builders sales agent on site in friendly conversation and she relayed pertinent things to the Super. It was a casual and easy-going relationship.

As the process went on, I found things were not being addressed before walls were being sheet-rocked and finished.

I sent an email to the builders rep about the errors that need to be corrected so they can be addressed before they get too far along to easily fix them. The only feedback I got from them was a big and bold "No Trespassing" sign being posted in the window of the house!

Needless to say that started to path to the rather contentious relationship we had from that point through closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 03:48 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,947,745 times
You present an interesting aspect of building. When we built our house - we owned the lot. And the house too (we built a custom house - and paid the builder with about a dozen draws over the course of about 10 months). So no way our builder could have locked us out of OUR OWN house with NO TRESPASSING signs. Guess if you're buying from a tract builder - everything belongs to the builder until closing - and the builder might be entitled legally to "lock you out" until closing. I don't think I would care for that at all.

FWIW - we had a few nasty fights with our builder when we were building. I think it's kind of inevitable (building a house is stressful on all sides). Just like you'll wind up with some nasty fights with a spouse during even the best of marriages. But - in the end - all's well that ends well. Hope everything worked out ok for you in the end. Robyn

Old 03-29-2016, 03:59 PM

21,202 posts, read 11,820,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You present an interesting aspect of building. When we built our house - we owned the lot. And the house too (we built a custom house - and paid the builder with about a dozen draws over the course of about 10 months). So no way our builder could have locked us out of OUR OWN house with NO TRESPASSING signs. Guess if you're buying from a tract builder - everything belongs to the builder until closing - and the builder might be entitled legally to "lock you out" until closing. I don't think I would care for that at all.

FWIW - we had a few nasty fights with our builder when we were building. I think it's kind of inevitable (building a house is stressful on all sides). Just like you'll wind up with some nasty fights with a spouse during even the best of marriages. But - in the end - all's well that ends well. Hope everything worked out ok for you in the end. Robyn
yes, with a tract builder, they own the land and the house until closing. I had a few things where I really wanted them to install something (like a dining room chandelier) instead of the builder provided monstrosity. But they couldn't because if for some reason, I didn't close on the house, they were now stuck with property that belonged to me installed in that house.

But fortunately, even though things got pretty stressful on a couple of specific things, it never got to the point where they tried to prevent me from entering. I think they probably could have based on the contract - I was entitled to some access but not to the extent I had - but they really just wanted to get the house built and handed over to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or