U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 PM

448 posts, read 284,197 times

Advertisements

Last Nov I bought a new base model (except for upgrading to automatic) Forester. I'm only mentioning this because of your concern for ease of getting in and out, as you are not looking for a SUV. I have bad knees, and am also the driver for parents with physical frailties in their late eighties. We all find this to be the easiest car any of us have ever ridden in for getting in and out. No more getting in by putting your weight on one leg and pivoting on that leg. No more strain standing up from a low crouch. Wish I had bought a higher car for us years ago! It's a good fit in other ways as well, such as both their walkers fit easily in back, and it handles well on the muddy, bumpy gravel roads where we live. So when checking out the models you mentioned, one possible factor is that all three of us have found that increasing the height (to a certain extent) increases the comfort, and might be similar for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:24 AM

158 posts, read 150,188 times
I don't necessarily have the answer for the OP's original question, but I've been interested in the positive shout-outs to the Toyota Corollas and want to add my story. We bought a 1980 Corolla station wagon new for $5500. We had a 3-year loan. After paying it off, we kept it an additional 13 years. So, after owning it as our only car for 16 years, almost all without car payments, we traded it in. At that point, it didn't use oil, and was completely reliable. It had had no "major" repairs of any kind. I was just sick of it! What a great car.

Incidentally, we now own a Toyota Rav4, bought new nine years ago. A really great car . . .

Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 AM

4,989 posts, read 3,480,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
It will depend on you.
My wife bought a car by going from dealer to dealer and getting into and out of the drivers seat. I got into and out of the back seat. She bought the car that was easiest to get into and out of.

Note some drivers seats will go all the way back when you open the door. Thus making it easier to get in and out of the car. The seat then adjusts to your driving position. I think you will find that you & gets 31 mph.and your husband can have separate settings.

I would just try all the new cars you can to find the seat you like. Then see if you can find that model of car on the used car lot. This type of seat has been around for years so it should be on used cars.

I haven't read the entire thread but I did the same thing. Was in & out of cars all day & when I got in my cube, it was love at first sit.

Mine is a 2010 & gets 31 mph. I Love, love my car. It was $11,000 but had low mileage, 64,000.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:41 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,862,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Haha, I'd probably have more choices if I could spend that much. I'd be looking at land rovers.
I didn't need to spend that kind of money. I got it a year old with 19k miles on it at under $30k. Paid it off in 10 months and never looked back. Pound for pound, feature for feature, that car could not be matched at that price. At the time I was shopping for a luxury sports sedan and you name the car to include the car I am driving now Lincoln MKZ, none came close to being equipped the same level at even the original sticker price. Everyone was a minimum of 10k more and still lacked some of the toys the Lacrosse had.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:47 AM

3,928 posts, read 2,889,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but I did the same thing. Was in & out of cars all day & when I got in my cube, it was love at first sit.

Mine is a 2010 & gets 31 mph. I Love, love my car. It was $11,000 but had low mileage, 64,000.
That is what my son has. I bought it new in 2011 for $14k and drove it for a couple of years while teaching him and then got myself a truck. The son and Cube are off at college now. I found it to be comfortable and it is set up for the driver to sit the way I like. It is a very good teaching car, BTW. The blind spots are tiny, it fits in skinny lanes, you can see in traffic pretty well and people see you. It also has more pep than I expected and stops on a dime. That's the only CVT car I have had. I liked that (I know some people hate it). My son hates driving other cars because he feels like something is wrong when they shift. It's all about what you are used to.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:19 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,966,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We now own the best car we've ever had. It is a 2009 Lexus RX 350. I like that it sits high, and is comfortable on car trips. We can individually control the heat in the front seats. We can warm our seats in cold weather. Our air conditioning works well in heat. It rides like a dream. It never breaks down.

We waited a looong time to own a good car. We really enjoy it.

Down side is that it takes premium gas and doesn't get super good mileage.
We have the same car - 2010 - and really like it too.

BTW - for people who have trouble getting into and out of cars - try this "As Seen On TV" gadget:

https://www.carcane.com/

My father bought one (or something very simiilar) and it really works. Robyn

Old 03-28-2016, 05:24 AM

4,989 posts, read 3,480,462 times
I did have to get my Cube new tires & a sensor, but still feel I got a good bargain for a car I can trust. I had real issues with being able to see who was behind me. It's irrational because the woman who hit me (hence the back issues & the need for a just right height vehicle) ran a red light when I was turning right on a green light.

Still, the most important things to me were seat height & visibility. My Cube works great for me.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 AM

3,928 posts, read 2,889,408 times
In the cube, I adjusted the rear view to make the rear blind spot really small (like any vehicle, you do have to be aware of what is immediately behind you and down low when you get in) and used the side mirrors to see further back. The back window is so big that you can adjust the rearview mirror up and down a bit; I chose seeing things close to me over seeing the horizon.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:29 AM

8,746 posts, read 12,225,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The OP already has an SUV. But a 2016 entry level Hyundai Sonata can be had for around $20k on sale. And that gets you a 5/60 bumper to bumper warranty and a 10/100 drivetrain warranty. And entry level Hyundais tend to have more amenities than other cars. And the Sonata is actually larger inside than most cars in the class.
Oops I didn't read all the way through - we have the Sonata - great commuter/trip car all around.

Makes you wonder why anyone would need a V6 200+hp in any sedan.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:13 AM

1,758 posts, read 1,250,631 times
A nice barely used Jeep Wrangler- perfect all season vehicle, improved ride and they seem to hold their value better than most cars. Wranglers do not look out of place in any environment from the golf country club to the beach, snow roads and tractor pulls.

The only draw back is slightly limited interior space unless you get the 4 door version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement