Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 04:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We've had many Jeeps over the years. To me they are a bit truck-like, but it's been awhile, so we'll probably look at them. We have no weather issues here, and our days of going, "mudding" are long gone.
We bought a Jeep once. In 1985. For a multi-month trip out west in the winter. It was the worst car we ever owned. And got rid of it in about 18 months (very unusual for us - we usually hold onto cars for a long time). Perhaps Jeep makes better vehicles now. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 04:47 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,200 times
I would suggest looking at Certified Pre-Owned versions of the Hondas and Toyotas. These are usually 3 year old off-lease units that are inspected by the Dealer and Warranteed up to 100K miles. My last couple of cars have been CPO Lexus and Acura vehicles. They each gave me years of service with the only expense being regular oil changes and new tires as needed.

I would recommend not looking at any German cars New, Used or otherwise. My daughter had a Jetta and even the most basic of regular maintenance items cost 3x what a "normal" car would cost.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
I bought a Dodge Caravan, brand new, with everything except the fancy phone stuff for $18K + some change. I also have Arthuritis. Absolutely unquestionably the handiest vehicle I've ever owned. Side doors open fully - I don't have to go bending over and wrenching my shoulders or back grabbing for stuff stored in the back. I drive it across the country twice a year. Comfy ride, endless storage, good mileage and runs on corn squeezins where available.

Best 18 grand I have ever spent.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:12 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks, all. We'll be out kicking tires this week, about 9 different dealers, and I talked to the financial planner about the cost, so we've got some wiggle room on the money part.
I'll let you know what we find out.
End of the month is a good time to buy. Salesmen and managers are under pressure to meet targets and goals.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:50 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
End of the month is a good time to buy. Salesmen and managers are under pressure to meet targets and goals.
Good advice. The end of the quarter and/or the last day of a special promotion are also good times to buy.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:57 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If your budget is $20K the best bet is a used Camry or Accord.

Try to get a lease return from a private lease. A private lease has usually had one owner and good maintenance.
I never thought about that for my future vehicle. Is there a way to find out if a car is a lease return when purchasing my next one?

Old 03-29-2016, 05:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I never thought about that for my future vehicle. Is there a way to find out if a car is a lease return when purchasing my next one?
That's where dealers get a lot of the CPO cars; if you are leasing one in high demand they will sometimes even offer an enticement to turn it in early. That happened to us recently; we had a leased Odyssey we probably would have opted to purchase but the dealer called and offered a great deal on a new one because they needed CPO stock. Not all lease returns become CPO cars, but the high demand vehicles in good shape often do.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:18 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Generally if you find a 1 year old used car with between 10 and 20k on the odometer it is generally a lease. You can look at the Carfax as well. It might not outright say lease on it but it is pretty evident when you look at it.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Check out the front leg room. The cheapest used large sedan is an Impala. The 2014 and up are actually well ranked and can be had with about 20K miles for about 15 to 17K.

Go to autotrader.com Type in 20K on maximum price and I would go under 30K miles that way life is still left on the bumper to bumper warranty. It is financially savvy to buy gently used.

Toyota's do have a slight quality advantage but it is priced into the vehicles, in fact I would argue more than priced in when buying used.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:20 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
The Ford Fusion is quite roomy and economical. Used models are a steal in some places. My son bought one for a lot less than 20K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement