U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:19 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
This concept of mfr'd housing really caught my attention. Just looked at a 55+ mobile home park in FL on their website.

I can see paying $150K for a new home in a community like this. But I can't believe they get over $600 for lot lease and other maintenance fees!

Is that the norm?
The problem with mobile home parks, with lot rent, is these mobile home parks can be sold, at any time, and the next owner could hike the rent to whatever level, and there you are a prisoner in that complex.

I see way too many mobiles in Las Vegas being offered for free, yes free, or for rent by the park owners, and what does that tell you? The owner couldn't afford the lot rent anymore!

That happened to someone I knew, during the last recession, lot rent was raised, he fell behind, and lost his home!

Co-op mobile home parks are another matter with more control, hopefully, but I still wouldn't consider any mobile home park for a retirement options, not enough control if you're on a very restricted budget.

I'm heading for Tucson and I'm only considering some place with no HOA rules, and no HOA dues. I won't settle for anything less.

When I see the HOA fees at a 55+ townhouse complex in Tucson with $250 HOA dues, I'll take that money and lease a new a car with that, and enjoy that a lot more, as I've never been a pool user, certainly wouldn't miss that option!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 06:31 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
Also, if the park should "go down" for whatever reason, you have to find someone who not only wants to live in a trailer, but wants to live in YOUR trailer, and wants to live in your trailer in your trailer PARK. I suppose you could pick it up and move it to another one (?), but I don't suppose that's easy?

Old 03-30-2016, 04:11 PM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
You are not in a good place if you don't tolerate heat and humidity. I took the dog for a brisk two mile walk around sunset last night. Walking into the coastal breeze it felt great, on the return with the wind not in my face, I was drenched by the time I reached home again. I refer to it as my purification process.

Yep I would like to move but my whole family is living down here now and I'm 61 and have had cancer so I feel like I need to be close to my family.

Yesterday we had a bad storm here (Fort Myers) and then it cooled off drastically. Took my dog for a walk around 7:00 pm and it was 68 degrees and I was cold. I was chuckling to myself that I have become the typical Floridian, if it is below 70 I need a light sweater. The humidity makes me physically ill so I do very little outdoorsy type things in the summer. Even the water in the swimming pool is not refreshing come July and August. I just keep reminding myself that hardly anyplace in the U.S. has perfect weather although my husband swore it was in San Jose....

Old 03-30-2016, 06:26 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yep I would like to move but my whole family is living down here now and I'm 61 and have had cancer so I feel like I need to be close to my family.

Yesterday we had a bad storm here (Fort Myers) and then it cooled off drastically. Took my dog for a walk around 7:00 pm and it was 68 degrees and I was cold. I was chuckling to myself that I have become the typical Floridian, if it is below 70 I need a light sweater. The humidity makes me physically ill so I do very little outdoorsy type things in the summer. Even the water in the swimming pool is not refreshing come July and August. I just keep reminding myself that hardly anyplace in the U.S. has perfect weather although my husband swore it was in San Jose....
Yeah, but they have that "terra sorta firma" thing going on in CA.
I am the odd duck that loves humidity on warm days. I practically live on the deck and front porch from late April through October; I can't stand the A/C. My hands hurt.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:58 AM

12,683 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I dunno, the idea of moving to a trailer park in retirement kind of brings all sorts of trailer trash images to mind but was I ever surprised!

It's in Riviera Beach, Florida just west of the VA medical center next to I-95.....
My mother and step-father lived in one on a canal and very near the beach in Jupiter, FL. Most of the homes did not look as big or beautifully landscaped as the one in the photo, but it was still certainly a very lovely place. I was used to definitely rundown trailer parks in my area in the north, and this place was a nice surprise. And my mother, who was a major fussy-fart, liked it; so it must have been terrific.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:17 AM

708 posts, read 501,574 times
Well the situation with trailer parks is that you get all types. We visited over 9 parks before we made our decision.
You have a wider range of conditions in each park. Obviously, less money you pay you get less regulations but also
looks like the typical trailer park we all know and gives us bad thoughts. The one we chose is all doublewides and
all have garages. They all have siding and in cul-ta-sacs with beautiful landscaping, 9 lakes, golf course and lots of tall mature trees. it's in a gated 55+ active community with tons of activities. Depends on your income level but when you are making your decision to snowbird or perhaps fulltime resident you cannot over look Manufacture home parks because you think they are like trailer parks in your local area.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Yeah, but they have that "terra sorta firma" thing going on in CA.
I am the odd duck that loves humidity on warm days. I practically live on the deck and front porch from late April through October; I can't stand the A/C. My hands hurt.
I hate a/c, too... And you can stand the humidity if you just sit under a ceiling fan on the porch with a cold drink, but try hiking, my hobby; I also live in a very humid area. Makes it dangerous to be active.

Anyone know if you can BUY LAND and put a trailer or even RV (travel trailer) on it in most cites along the coast? I don't see why not, if it's yours, but some have told me that it must be a permanent home.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I hate a/c, too... And you can stand the humidity if you just sit under a ceiling fan on the porch with a cold drink, but try hiking, my hobby; I also live in a very humid area. Makes it dangerous to be active.

Anyone know if you can BUY LAND and put a trailer or even RV (travel trailer) on it in most cites along the coast? I don't see why not, if it's yours, but some have told me that it must be a permanent home.
An RV you can have almost anywhere unless there are covenants against it in a neighborhood. As far as mobile homes go, they do have to meet codes and there are some zoning issues in certain locales. Use Zillow or your favorite realty site and look for mobile homes for sale in cities you are interested in. Look at the map view. Where you see clusters of them are parks. Zoom in on some that aren't clustered and you will find areas where they are allowed.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:34 AM

Sadly... Many HOAs and even city ordianances ban RVs from private property/driveways, or so I have heard. Even some who allow storage there DON'T allow occupation/habitation... I would really love a vintage RV (travel trailer) used as a tiny house with utilities, but I would want to own the land myself.

Good advice; I've gone back and forth on condos, etc., but this would really be my dream come true!

Last edited by otterhere; 03-31-2016 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not true; many HOAs and even city ordianances ban RVs from private property/driveways, or so I've heard. Even some who allow storage there DON'T allow occupation/habitation... I would really love a vintage RV (travel trailer) used as a tiny house with utilities, but would want to own the land myself.
The HOA case was what I was referring to as covenants in a neighborhood. I do stand corrected on RVs in many cities and towns, especially coastal ones; I just poked around and if you are a homeowner you can have one registered to you with current tags on your property just about anywhere unless your HOA covenants don't allow it but having to buy a house is probably a deal breaker for someone looking for a cheap alternative...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement