U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:58 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times

Advertisements

I can see the appeal of that; an instant community. You don't have to participate, but it's there for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:43 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I can see the appeal of that; an instant community. You don't have to participate, but it's there for you.
Yeah. A lot of people don't need to establish that on retirement, but for various reasons of circumstance my social circle has darn near collapsed over the last few years and I am determined not to become a bitter shut in; I will go build a new one.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 AM

708 posts, read 502,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't see a garage. I really like having at least a two car garage.
Pine Lakes Country Club North Fort Myers houses all have 2 car garages.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
That whole hurricane/tornado thing leaves me cold about living in anything like that.

Well just looked on TV and what tornado's did to houses there in OK. If storm is bad enough
it does not make a difference. Good thing about a hurricane (if there is anything good) it normally
gives you enough times to move your valuables up and board things up.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:26 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,669,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Well just looked on TV and what tornado's did to houses there in OK. If storm is bad enough
it does not make a difference. Good thing about a hurricane (if there is anything good) it normally
gives you enough times to move your valuables up and board things up.
What many people don't realize is, besides lightning strikes, FL is number one for tornadoes per 10,000 square miles, more than OK. They are usually weaker ones, EF0 or 1's. We had a severe thunderstorm here earlier this week and a waterspout was off the coast, they become tornadoes when they come inland. This one stayed offshore. There was a stronger tornado in January, El Niño influenced, it was an EF2 that blew apart a mobile home and killed a couple in the next county. Tornadoes do happen here and they are an offshoot seen during hurricanes also.

http://climatecenter.fsu.edu/topics/tornadoes

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-01-2016 at 01:40 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
What many people don't realize is, besides lightning strikes, FL is number one for tornadoes per 10,000 square miles, more than OK. They are usually weaker ones, EF0 or 1's. We had a severe thunderstorm here earlier this week and a waterspout was off the coast, they become tornadoes when they come inland. This one stayed offshore. There was a stronger tornado in January, El Niño influenced, it was an EF2 that blew apart a mobile home and killed a couple in the next county. Tornadoes do happen here and they are an offshoot seen during hurricanes also.

Tornadoes - Florida Climate Center

Thanks for the information. Yeah, what do you do. I guess if you have bad luck you can get killed any where but I want to at least enjoy nice weather 6 months out of year down here. Hopefully, that will not include a hurricane or tornado!

Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
After reading this thread... South Carolina it is!

Old 04-01-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
After reading this thread... South Carolina it is!
You will love the 55+ community environment. Gives you lots to do with built in group
of people that want the same.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,669,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Thanks for the information. Yeah, what do you do. I guess if you have bad luck you can get killed any where but I want to at least enjoy nice weather 6 months out of year down here. Hopefully, that will not include a hurricane or tornado!
I'm used to tornadoes growing up in the Midwest, doing duck and covers in the school hallways for drills and for real. In NY it's more straight line wind events and we've had our share of those; one killing seven school children in a school when we first moved there.

Being near our grandkids, I worry less since I'm in it with them here, rather than watching from afar. I love the six months of nice weather too.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:16 PM

10,462 posts, read 5,930,681 times
I would never base my decision on where to live out of fear of a one in 10,000 chance that my life would be altered by a tornado or hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement