Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:02 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I would never base my decision on where to live out of fear of a one in 10,000 chance that my life would be altered by a tornado or hurricane.
I had about $20k in damage to the house from Fran in 96, over 100 miles inland. As others have noted, you know when they are coming. We were warned about that over 24 hours in advance but nearly everyone thought the weather forecasters were sensationalizing about worst case this far from the coast. Most tornados that have been near me were not total surprises either.

But I agree; I would not live where I would not be nearly as happy for only a very slight safety gain. If all other things were equal, I aould probably go with the safe choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 02:34 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
When we first started out after graduating college, back during sky high interest rates we could not afford to buy a house so we moved into a mobile home that was more like a retirement community. The people who lived there had owned their own house but sold to simplify.

They kept their mobile homes and yards very nice and although we were much younger we got along very well with them. We were workers and never really home. They started passing away and as they did their kids wanted to dump the places so they sold quick. We started to notice the place was turning into trailer trash type people who didn't take care of their places and we started looking for a house. The last straw was when right next door passed and his son and grandson moved in, both alcoholics. I won't go into detail but we moved thank god.

My point is while a mobile home park may start out as a retirement community, it's what happens after they pass on.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:27 AM

What Petch mentions is one of the few positives about the for profit communities where you rent the lot. They can and often do prevent that from happening. OTOH, many co-ops are able to enforce their covenants (double edged sword; many put limits on it). I hate to generalize just on price, but when I browse communities and find a lot of listings below $60k for manufactured homes (I am not looking at mobiles; many of the parks have been doing rolling conversions to manufactured homes by limiting the allowable age of mobiles and not allowing new ones in; only manufactured homes) I worry about the quality and upkeep of park features. If the prices are too low, there will be a lot of residents who move there solely for the price.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I had about $20k in damage to the house from Fran in 96, over 100 miles inland. As others have noted, you know when they are coming. We were warned about that over 24 hours in advance but nearly everyone thought the weather forecasters were sensationalizing about worst case this far from the coast. Most tornados that have been near me were not total surprises either.

But I agree; I would not live where I would not be nearly as happy for only a very slight safety gain. If all other things were equal, I aould probably go with the safe choice.
A qualification to this...
There is a difference between the concern of the unlikely outcome of the loss of life or property and the more likely outcome of having to change plans more often and having to evacuate a few times. Earlier I mentioned the space coast has appeal to me as the odds of storms making landfall nearby go up sharply as you go further down the coast. There are some other factors also in the mix (space coast is a long day's drive from a lot of family, but not a doable day drive; it's also closer to attractions that family would like to visit) but in an odd way the more likely outcome of somewhat frequent inconvience from bad weather is a bigger factor than the far less likely outcome of devistation.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 AM

708 posts, read 721,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
What Petch mentions is one of the few positives about the for profit communities where you rent the lot. They can and often do prevent that from happening. OTOH, many co-ops are able to enforce their covenants (double edged sword; many put limits on it). I hate to generalize just on price, but when I browse communities and find a lot of listings below $60k for manufactured homes (I am not looking at mobiles; many of the parks have been doing rolling conversions to manufactured homes by limiting the allowable age of mobiles and not allowing new ones in; only manufactured homes) I worry about the quality and upkeep of park features. If the prices are too low, there will be a lot of residents who move there solely for the price.

Very good point on the for profit communities. Our fee is high but the park is beautiful and very well maintained with lots of amenities and activities. One of the things that attracted us the most is how well kept the houses were and with garages. No cars or junk sitting around. You pay for what you get. We visited about 15 before we bought and seen lots of cheaper ones for a reason. I understand if you cannot afford a better park but if you can it is worth it.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:14 PM

79 posts, read 121,541 times
Anyone familiar with the restrictions regarding renting a mobile home you may own?
Long or short term.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:17 PM

708 posts, read 721,441 times
I rent ours out during the winter until we retire. We have no restrictions. We do you use a rental agency but our park has no regulation other then the renters have to pass a credit and background check. There also is 55+ age restriction.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
How much is the home owners insurance? These aren't going to survive a hurricane and Riviera Beach is subject to them. Also, it is a very high crime area
Yes they survive. The technology is new now.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think that place is cute and would suit me fine...except I like to sit outside and like a screened in porch, bit of deck and bit of yard for bird feeders which a lot of places probably don't even allow !
Yes they allow screened porches. Some of these places with traditional "trailers" actually have built on additions and all kinds of stuff including screened porches. Some have a porch that you only need to screen.

I've even seen them put up on cement block so it looks like more of a "normal" house. Although I guess you have to watch because it changes it from a MOBILE home. (even though they're not really mobile per se).

The tax treatment and licensing is different in FL for those.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
There are also "park homes" in addition to "trailers"; not sure how they differ, or if one is just a euphemism for the other. Whether or not you can rent it out is up to the individual park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement