U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Sink Hole Alley is pretty much Bradenton up through Spring Hill. I don't think it's much of an issue in Ocala.
It's another one of those crap shoots where it is a higher risk than most places but still pretty darn low. I think the most they had was a little under 7,000 reports of property damage statewide one year. That is a lot, but there are over 10,000,000 properties and it includes all reports of damage from shifts. not just catastrophic ones. They are more concentrated in the "Alley" but they can happen anywhere, and I don't mean just in FL. But you probably won't be killed in an earthquake or freeze to death waiting for someone to find you when your car gets buried in a blizzard. You can find stuff to be afraid of everywhere. Mitigate it as best you can and if the risk still seems too high then don't go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM

14,398 posts, read 7,926,626 times
That whole hurricane/tornado thing leaves me cold about living in anything like that.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 AM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
That whole hurricane/tornado thing leaves me cold about living in anything like that.

I'd get good home insurance and if I'm living there year round in hurricane season, I'd pay heed to the warnings and evacuate. Probably millions of people live in 55+ mobile home communities in Florida and haven't had a hurricane problem. Although I would not want to be INSIDE the mobile home during a hurricane. (I live next to the ocean in New England and I wouldn't want to be INSIDE this house during a major hurricane either!)

Old 03-28-2016, 11:48 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,091,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
OH MY! I need to move from Fort Myers to new Port Richey! How long ago did you buy your condo?
I bought 3 years ago, what had to be at the bottom of the pricing cycle. Not only is this a great 30 year old development (because of the superb maintenance provided by the onsite staff), but it has been my best performing investment, not that I bought it for that reason (not disclosing price!). Our maintenance fees actually went down from $251 last year to $238 this year, which is only $7 dollars higher than when I became an owner.

Yeah, I'm happy.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 PM

407 posts, read 474,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think Ocala is beautiful especially compared to Fort Myers but I've heard a lot on the news here about sinkholes. How much of a problem is it in that area?

There's one subdivision that seems to have problems with sinkholes, Fore Ranch, and I wouldn't consider buying in there. One opened up in Oak Run a while back and turned out to be caused by a leaking water main. Pine Run, where my houses are, seems to be okay as far as sinkholes. No one has mentioned any since I bought in there.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,536,800 times
FWIW about screen rooms as someone mentioned. As nice as they sound, Florida rooms are more practical considering heat, allergies, storms, and privacy. My MIL had a screen room and found it too uncomfortable to use. She ended up paying a good size sum to build a Florida room off her bedroom that she did use.

My parents bought a mobile home with a Florida room and used it extensively all year long.

In my house I do have a pool enclosed screen room and outside sitting patios. I used the screen room all the time but it is in the back and sheltered from the sweltering sun. All the same, nothing is perfect and it has its problems with dust and pollen.

Bottomline, if I got a mobile home it would be one with a Florida room.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
A few years back, I was visiting relatives near Fort Lauderdale when hurricane Wilma passed through. They have a large home that was built with the stronger hurricane standards. Husband put the metal shutters on the windows. Everyone stayed inside the house. Hurricane went through, we remained just fine. No damage to the house. But plenty outdoors. Trees uprooted, etc.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:46 PM

11,935 posts, read 20,392,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
or 47 years later- but who's counting
Math was never my strong suit.... Still, pretty good for a trailer!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,234 times
Talking We hate it when they are called "trailer" parks

Those of us who live in mobile home parks hate when they are referred to as Trailers. I currently live in a nicely landscaped park where it is a mix of older mobile homes and new modular homes. I am hoping to retire to southwest Florida and plan to live in a 55+ mobile home community. I would much rather live in a nice park than a condo or apartment in a building without my own piece of grass, even a small one. One of my considerations is the possibility that the hubby would go before I do and I would feel safe in that type of community.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,103,047 times
I'm single and plan to be a bit footloose after my kids are on their own, so retirement/snowbirding in florida could be an option for me.

I just can't imagine the idea of a manufactured home in a community of manufactured homes. Especially in a 55+ community. I like people of all ages, including kids, and I assume I still will 20-30 years from now. I think I'd just as soon get a big RV and be mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement