Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:46 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times

Advertisements

I dunno, the idea of moving to a trailer park in retirement kind of brings all sorts of trailer trash images to mind but was I ever surprised!

It's in Riviera Beach, Florida just west of the VA medical center next to I-95 and here is a Google Map View.

It looks a whole lot better on the ground then what the map view would have you think.

It's gated, fenced and a co op for seniors only. They are all mobile homes but it looked very nice, clean and not the image conjured up when you think of trailer parks.

It's got a pool and a surprising number of people own mobile homes and there's a secure lot on property for storage so it isn't like you got mobile homes and boats scattered about.

All the neighbors are very nice and friendly.

The co-op fee is very low and from what I was told and looking on Zillow something like this

is for sale right now for $47,999 and I was told you could probably get it for $44,000.

On upkeep of properties there are standards people are expected to keep. Looks really good.

Someone could live there for as little as $500 to $600/month which would include the co-op fees along with the cost of all utilities, taxes, cable television and internet. I am convinced a couple could live reasonably well on a monthly income of $2,400 if they watched the budget just a little bit.

Nah, I don't plan to live there but if I lived up north I would give consideration of buying a place like this so I could spend November through May out of the cold. It never gets cold here and they will shovel all the snow you do get for free.

I am presenting this as an alternative because some people who don't have the $300k for a condo might want to look at this as an alternative.

A seniors (55 and up) only trailer park? I didn't know there was such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 10:00 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
I think you can find a lot of retirement mobile home communities that are very nice.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 AM

810 posts, read 1,181,713 times
My parents owned in a 55+ community of manufactured homes. It, too, was gated and beautiful. Activities, large pool, clubhouse. The only downside was you didn't own the land and it was expensive to basically "rent" the land. Everyone kept their home and property very well maintained. It also was in FL

I agree Nice4, a great alternative for those who want or need to downsize but still want to move to a warmer climate. Not all trailer parks are what our pre-conceived images are of them

Old 03-27-2016, 10:05 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Yes, many do snowbird in such retirement communities. It is worth considering

My MIL lived in Fairways a 55+ retirement village of mobile homes in east Orlando with a golf course, clubs and activities, and little ole people riding around on golf carts stopping in to visit each other and sipping martinis. It was huge. She really didn't like it but was never much of a group person.

My parents lived in Zephyr Hills in a smaller mobile home 55+ retirement community Trropical Acres, and it suited them better than a huge park like my MILs place. There weren't as many clubs and amenities but friendships were more personal. Many neighbors were winter only visitors from Ohio and Canada. As Dads Parkinson's disease got worse, Mom had all sorts of support. Just a quiet pleasant place year round. Dads care at the nearby VA was excellent BTW

As I get older I am rethinking a lot, who knows I might work myself into such an arrangement. My current SFH in Orlando is wearing me out for sure

Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
My parents owned in a 55+ community of manufactured homes. It, too, was gated and beautiful. Activities, large pool, clubhouse. The only downside was you didn't own the land and it was expensive to basically "rent" the land. Everyone kept their home and property very well maintained. It also was in FL

I agree Nice4, a great alternative for those who want or need to downsize but still want to move to a warmer climate. Not all trailer parks are what our pre-conceived images are of them
The co-op owns the land and the monthly fee is very cheap.

I think it would be a perfect out for someone living on a small fixed income from up north in the frozen tundra.

According to the Monthly Statistical Snapshot, February 2016 the average benefit for a retired worker is $1,344.70 with spouses receiving $693.64 for a total monthly benefit of $2,038.34.

For me it would be the cost of medicare and supplements that would kill any chance of surviving on $2,038.34 because, as everyone here knows, medicare is not free. It's a good deal but it still isn't free and by the time the Part B and supplements were taken out this couple would be down to less than $1,500. Take $500 out for fees and utilities and a couple would be left with less than $1,000 which I guess could be done but for me it wouldn't be pretty but if no alternative I suppose you find a way.

Just curious, at what point do food stamps kick in? How about "help" on paying medicare and supplements? In our retirement budget other than food and entertainment it's the medicare and supplements that take the biggest bite of our income.

I was just shocked at how nice everything was.

At least you wouldn't freeze to death.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:47 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I'm a big fan of mobile homes, I think they get a bad rap and I'd rather have one than share walls in a condo. I guess I could see selling a single family home and using the proceeds to pay for the monthly fees of lot rental and HOA. But I am trying to avoid any monthly obligations at all. But it's weird, my friend recently sold his and there was no closing, no inspection etc. Just a check and a trip to the MVA, no different than purchasing a used Subaru.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
How much is the home owners insurance? These aren't going to survive a hurricane and Riviera Beach is subject to them. Also, it is a very high crime area

Old 03-27-2016, 11:02 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think the monthly fee is very high for the privilege of living in a $44k home. I don't doubt that it is nice though. I've seen a few nice ones also. For the same amount, I'd prefer a nice little house with my own yard.
My sil and bil lived in one for a few winters but failed to make friends, so after awhile felt too isolated.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
How much is the home owners insurance? These aren't going to survive a hurricane and Riviera Beach is subject to them. Also, it is a very high crime area
I have no idea how much home owners insurance would be but on a place valued at $44k it couldn't be much.

In 2000 I looked at a condo that was on the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama which is referred to as the redneck riviera. Nice condos, very affordable and right on the beach. Looked very good until I got the price of homeowners insurance and wow, it knocked my socks right off. Between the association fees and homeowners it was more than $1,200/month, with the large portion of it going to homeowner insurance, and unlike a mortgage it would last forever.

And if a CAT 5 did go through and take everything out, which a CAT 5 would do, what is the worst you could be out?

My friend I visited doesn't have to live there, he could afford five times as much, but he chose to because he as a number of friends in the same community. Given a nicer place or friends I'd pick friends any day.

Might be high crime area but it was fenced and gated all around with people constantly on the lookout for neighbors. I asked about it and was told they never had any problems.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
If I could get my hubby to retire down there for even a few months in the winter, I wouldn't mind one of those trailer parks at all. (the nice ones)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement