Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:02 AM

708 posts, read 719,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
How much is the home owners insurance? These aren't going to survive a hurricane and Riviera Beach is subject to them. Also, it is a very high crime area

The price we pay for 1800 sq foot double wide with a garage in park is $341 per year for $40,000
coverage without hurricane/wind damage. It is $ 860 with hurricane and wind coverage for $40,000.
I decided to get the wind and hurricane coverage this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To me, even though the land is in a co-op, I would always worry about not having ownership of the land itself. Renting a lot in a private park is a recipe for disaster eventually - most parks eventually sell out to someone who wants to build condos or such - and if you have a trailer in there, tough, your problem to find a new place to park it.

That said, for someone with limited finances, this might be attractive.

In general Florida weather is great except for the hurricanes.

You have protection on if they sell plus unless you have in by water very little chance they will sell. Renting is not a recipe for the disaster. They are very reasonable and very easy to sell if you live in a nice park. Very small up front costs and they take care of everything. You have look at in many ways before buying. Nice thing is rent is tied to the CPI so increases in rent have been very little or not none at all in the last 5 years.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 AM

4,528 posts, read 3,734,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yikes, that sounds like something a 'religion' in Clearwater would push.

Scientology isn't my thing, but I certainly have no need to invest in a sauna here.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 AM

21,716 posts, read 12,783,839 times
Is there a PERMANENT RV park that accepts VINTAGE campers? It's always been my dream to live in a little restored "canned ham," but most have age limits on the rigs they'll accept OR require you to pick up and move every so often.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:09 AM

8,875 posts, read 13,874,301 times
This concept of mfr'd housing really caught my attention. Just looked at a 55+ mobile home park in FL on their website.

I can see paying $150K for a new home in a community like this. But I can't believe they get over $600 for lot lease and other maintenance fees!

Is that the norm?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:41 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
This concept of mfr'd housing really caught my attention. Just looked at a 55+ mobile home park in FL on their website.

I can see paying $150K for a new home in a community like this. But I can't believe they get over $600 for lot lease and other maintenance fees!

Is that the norm?
That's insane. I would rather have a condo.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,789,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is there a PERMANENT RV park that accepts VINTAGE campers? It's always been my dream to live in a little restored "canned ham," but most have age limits on the rigs they'll accept OR require you to pick up and move every so often.
I doubt you will have any problem with a truly restored vintage camper; I would blog the restoration and send a link. The flip side is that if you picked up a recent model cheap because it has a lot of damage and don't get it properly restored you could get asked to remove it despite the age. In MH parks, they have to be strict because the old ones don't meet the newer codes no matter how nice they look. In RV parks if you are talking about towable trailers (not park model MHs) it is an appearance concern.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:02 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,789,421 times
Quote:

Is that the norm?
That must be one of the nicer parks. I have priced a few that are in the 60k range with a lot you own and HOA fees in the $250 or so range if they have amenities (some don't, but still have HOAs that take care of entrance and do volunteer-led social activities). EDIT - Barefoot Bay (not truly a 55+ but mostly older adults and many are part time residents) is an example of one with amenities in that range and Palm Bay Colony is an example of one without.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Is that the norm?
Look at Pine Lakes Country Club on Google

Old 03-29-2016, 01:31 PM

21,716 posts, read 12,783,839 times
Quote:

Is that the norm?
That's about average, from my limited research. And you don't own the land, so... There's that, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement