U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:18 PM
mlb

3,194 posts, read 2,862,863 times

Advertisements

I want my "third act" to be full of good health and much more closeness with my family.

I've spent the better part of the last 40 years separated from siblings... I want to live closer to them (California)- and out of this (Utah) state.... and I want to travel to see the others who are in Wisconsin, Georgia and Brazil and spend quality time with them.

I want to re-energize my music abilities - purchase a piano and write for my own pleasure.

I spent most of my career - helping others.... so while I won't rule out volunteer opportunities - I will be much more picky about who I spend my time with.

Yes, I will be selfish.

I want to read more - I have literally stopped reading for pleasure while working - that needs to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 07:25 PM

16,425 posts, read 5,363,471 times
Great topic! My priorities are financial security, good health and being comfortable both physically and mentally. Physically, that means no more stylish clothing that pinches or binds, only loose, easy-fitting fabrics that are easy to care for. I buy a lot of my clothing from Travelsmith or Magellan's because they are easy to care for. I will not spend my retirement going to the dry cleaner's or ironing! I also buy the best comfort shoes I can afford because being good to my feet is a priority.

Reducing stress in my life is another priority. Quitting work, obviously, was the biggest contributor to that. I also am choosy about how I spend my time and who I spend it with. I try to minimize contact with friends and relatives that drain me emotionally or are demanding or needy. I am making my psychological comfort a priority.

One of the goals I had when I retired was to take classes or do volunteer work, but surprisingly I haven't cared about that as much as I thought I would. Any commitment that feels like a job adds to my stress level, and this is what I'm trying to avoid. After so many years of being prisoner to a work schedule that I had no control over (nights, weekends, holidays), I enjoy being the boss of my own time.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:12 PM

446 posts, read 283,207 times
1. A quiet life. Long stretches where I can sit and read a book, look at the lake in all weather, work on my hobby, and not hear any human voices.
2. But not unbroken quiet all day long. Time to visit with my relatives for a few hours a day, eat lunch out with a book, but surrounded by a comfortable buzz of others talking, a small social life, an occasional trip for music or friends.
3. At one time, I would have agreed with a big library or bookstore, but ebooks and digital library memberships freed me from that. Now I can visit our small library and enjoy the atmosphere and book lovers I meet there, but can get any book I want electronically.
4. Absolutely agree with comfort! I think we are all house cats at heart, looking for that cosy warm patch of sofa on which to stretch out. Just have to pry myself out to exercise for a bit every day, which provides a nice contrast to the comfort zone.
5. Yes to the car. And I have found a big yes in living where you can drive without traffic jams, or for that matter, without traffic lights. The compromise is there are none of the big city amenities to drive to, but listening to concerts electronically is a decent second best.
6. I have found a simple life suits me. After a stressful career, I am happy being a low key volunteer and have no desire to move up to boards of directors or some other official position. Every organization needs cheerful, part time, non-policy volunteers. That's me. I enjoy puttering around on my little spread out daily errands which once were crammed into frantic weekends. I enjoy even the lack of decision in living where there is one grocery store and a few restaurants. Gives me more time to read.

Good thread! I'm enjoying reading all the responses. And pleased by the good will in recognizing and enjoying how different our priorities can be.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:53 AM

362 posts, read 335,219 times
For me, it really boils down to - I just don't want to have to work. Whatever I get beyond that is a bonus.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:04 AM

34,423 posts, read 41,527,053 times
For me it would be staying healthy and remaining relevant in life, unfortunately at 68 years old i'm failing on both counts.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:33 AM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
292 posts, read 232,577 times
Beyond the truly important things (family, health, food & financial security) my list would be:

1) Take care of and enjoy our pets,
2) Able to travel in our motorhome approx. 4 months a year,
3) Ski in the winter,
4) Out for dinner/drinks at least a couple of time a week,
5) Continue to pursue our hobbies:
Me: restore my mid-60's muscle car & wood working
Wife: Gardening & cooking

Old 03-28-2016, 07:58 AM

23,647 posts, read 17,615,071 times
1) The health to do the things I want to do, physically and cognitively.

2) The financial wherewithal to be able to do them.

3) No snow/ice. Ideally not many days below the 40s.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:06 AM

365 posts, read 307,147 times
The most important thing to me is the truth. Decision we make are based on information we receive. If you receive false, bad or corrupt information then you lose your ability to make good decisions in your life.

For example:
You rely on getting true information on the economy and financial markets so you can make good decisions on your investments and personal finance.

You rely on getting true information on the quality and safety of your food and water.

You rely on getting true information on the environment you choose to live in. You need to know if the location you choose to live is free of things that can harm you.

People have the ability to make changes in their life to avoid or fix existing problems if they first receive true information that a problem exists. As time goes on, I see more and more of the information we receive and rely on to be either wrong or corrupt.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:55 AM

29,809 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Our goal a good life with options to be able enhance along the way.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,457,551 times
Being active.

* We are expert skiers, and like to ski 80+ days each season. We enjoy other winter sports as well. My personal goal is to ski 2 million vertical feet in one season. So, we chose Park City UT for our winter home. We like to support independent filmmaking, so we volunteer @ Sundance Film Festival.

* We like live entertainment, world-class fine dining & extensive wine lists. So, we chose Las Vegas for our Summer home. We go out several times/week. I also play competitive poker.

* We like to travel. We take a cruise or two each year. I wish I could justify NetJets or WheelsUp as commercial airline travel is tedious.

* With internet access, higher ed is available through your choice of MOOCs.

* A few toys are important:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement