U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 04:10 PM

446 posts, read 282,616 times

Advertisements

Just remembered Gerard Manley Hopkins said better what I was trying to say:

And I have asked to be
Where no storms come,
Where the green swell is in the havens dumb,
And out of the swing of the sea.

Putting me at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Tennyson enthusiasts:

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I know and love strivers and seekers; just no longer want to be them.

Last edited by upnorthretiree; 03-28-2016 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 04:43 PM

1,142 posts, read 779,526 times
One of my main goals since retiring is maintaining good oral
health.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:50 PM

21,901 posts, read 14,397,959 times
Some of your posts have reminded me of a hated work thing I am glad to be free of: dress code!

You have reminded me how great it is to just wear whatever I want. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now, and I had forgotten how irritating it could be.

I almost never wear any sort of nylon any more, and I am quite happy not to have to do that. And, I don't have to look "professional" anymore, without pay to justify it.

So for me, I am glad to be able to determine how I want to present myself without worrying about rules. Yay!

Old 03-28-2016, 04:54 PM

7,116 posts, read 8,160,025 times
This may sound curious coming from one who, according to some here, should be "waiting to die". I'm not waiting for that. I've always maintained that anyone, of any age, can die at any time. At 68 I'm still healthy, and when I wake up in the morning, I assume it's a sign that I should carry on.

So what I'm talking about is "growth". Can one "grow" at 68? Surely. There are new things to learn, new skills to develop, new places to go, new people to meet. I'm not satisfied with just hanging onto the abilities I used to have. What if I lost some? No biggie; just replace them with new ones!

It's when you stop growing, that you begin to lose ground. Keep climbing, keep moving!

Old 03-28-2016, 05:06 PM

14,246 posts, read 44,937,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I always assume that most reading my post will understand exactly what I mean. Here's a few examples;

My job required that I dress in business attire with no beard or mustache and clean shaven every day. I can dress as I wish now.

I was on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week. if a machine broke down or a product failed a test then I could be at work at 2 in the morning and work non stop until the problem was solved. Because of this I could not have drinks with friends and then end up at work a little drunk (a firing offense and many have been fired for this). Plus it's was a good idea to keep a clear head around dangerous equipment.

Another issue was that I represented my company whether I was at the job or on my own time. Company policy was no employee can through nexus or direct contact be associated with anything that would put a bad light on the company. On another side to that a very strict communications code was fallowed for verbal or written communications. If communications were not done by company standards then termination was possible especially if you are a white male (the white male part could not be said but was commonly understood).

Dealing with other employees always had to be done in a professional manner with no joking and every word had to chosen carefully. It was best policy to not have contact with other employees off normal work hours unless they were also in you universe.

For the people that have never worked in the private sector, this is how it works for managers. The hourly employees and/or union employees did not have the same scrutiny as the managers.

BTW after I retired I went to worked for the US dept of Homeland Security and they also had a similar "code of conduct" that every body had to sign.

This is just a few of the items that I don't have to adhere to in retirement.
Wow, what a crap employer! No wonder you are glad to be rid of them! If you don't want to name them in a post, would you DM me who it is? I have worked in both oilfield service and nuclear industries, never had anything like this.

As for me, what I want out of retirement when I get there is more time to do my hobbies, while still having enough money to not have financial insecurity bug me constantly.

One thing I really will enjoy is not having to drive in bad weather (snow, blowing dust) around here. If it was just me on the road, all would be great. But it's never just me...

Old 03-28-2016, 05:13 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,672,610 times
Working meant money but no time. By the end of my career, I would have gladly taken more vacation time without pay. If I was asked to work extra days, I opted out of the overtime and requested equivalent time off.

Retired, I finally have time, the most precious thing to me, and with it I can do all the others things that are important to me and money to go along with it now.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:14 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
What really matter to my life have not changed with retirement. They are still the same elements essential for my emotional, mental and physical well-being.

My emotional well being is defined by my relationships with family, friends, community, nature, the world and my level of self fulfillment. While I treasure my solitude and independence at times, my connections with others, the sense of belonging, the pride of being a valued contributor to the society are also very important to me. This means that wherever I live, I will try to maintain my current bonds and establish new ones, finding ways to enjoy the outdoor, my hobbies, my interests with my life partner while giving back to my community.

My mental well-being involves not only in utilizing my skills/learning but also in acquiring new knowledge and experience. I think this is the reason why we love to travel, to learn more about a new country, its people, history, tradition, art, music, architecture, food, culture, flora, fauna, scenery, landscape etc. Of course one can learn a lot about the world without traveling. However, there is nothing like the actual experience with all your senses. This is also the reason why I enjoy recreational activities which require knowledge, skills and commitment like flying, scuba diving and rowing. In each of these 'sports', I have acquired as much knowledge and training as available for a hobbyist. The list of things which I want to learn is quite long. Now that I am retired, I can indulge in being a professional student for the rest of my life.

Although physical well-being is the last item in my list, it is a critical component of my overall well-being. Without health, I would not be able to enjoy life, to do things, to travel, to learn etc. I am glad that many of the things which I enjoy doing such as hiking, rowing, swimming, exercise, gardening, eating healthy etc. not only help to with maintaining my physical fitness and health but also contribute tremendously to my emotional and mental wellness.

I did not list financial well-being as an important factor in my life. This does not mean that I do not value money. I am always very grateful for having the means to enjoy doing all the things that we want to do, and never have to worry about any basic life necessities. However, I have seen how my parents had weathered hard times in their life, and we have always able to live beneath our means. I also know that that many great things in life are free like a walk in the wood, beautiful sun rise, sunset, bird songs, gentle cool breeze over spring flowers, the warm touch of my husband hand, the delightful voice of my daughter, the sympathetic ears of my sisters, the companion of my closed friends etc. I have the complete confidence that we will continue to enjoy our life in all economic conditions.

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-28-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 05:33 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,151,461 times
1. Avoiding elder poverty.

2. Not leaving my partner in poverty due to me having a health issue that burned off all the assets due to an inadequate contingency plan.

Everything beyond these two is gravy.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,352,258 times
What matters to me is:

-Good health which means eating a limited (but good) diet due to a GI condition. We both enjoyed cooking before retirement so this is just a new wrinkle.

-No commitments. Just because I'm retired doesn't mean I'm available for what other people want me to do. I volunteer with an educational non-profit and just spent 4 years doing heavy volunteering. Now I'm saying "no" often and donating more money than time.

-Less long distance air travel, more local travel. When we first retired we traveled a lot. But air travel sucks, crammed into tiny seats, we once spent several hours on tarmac before an overseas flight. We took an Alaska cruise which required flying to Vancouver from Florida but even worse than that plane trip was the hours we had to spend in line to get on the cruise ship. This was an expensive cruise and we were treated like cattle. Next cruise will be in a wheelchair or never. We live in Florida which is a paradise, yes even in summer (love that the tourists are gone), beaches and 74 degrees blue water springs are gorgeous.

-Play pickle ball, drop-in game possible 5 days a week (no commitments!) I hate the gym and pickle ball keeps my cardio good and my weight down. Nice year-round regulars and snowbirds and we don't discuss politics or religion. Cheaper and more fun than the gym at $2 (free to play outdoors but I like A/C and stay out of sun--had skin cancers).

-We have a great library system that I visit 2+ times a week. Free books, lectures and movies.

-Painting. I got serious about it, entering the "big city" art center juried shows. Turns out I'm good enough to have work accepted and win a ribbon. I like not wanting/needing to sell anything and paint only what I want to. Turned down someone who wanted to commission a painting, that would take my fun out of it.

-Having a healthy spouse. Need to keep him around to enjoy our mutual retirement.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:44 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
Just remembered Gerard Manley Hopkins said better what I was trying to say:

And I have asked to be
Where no storms come,
Where the green swell is in the havens dumb,
And out of the swing of the sea.

Putting me at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Tennyson enthusiasts:

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I know and love strivers and seekers; just no longer want to be them.
The Tennyson poem from which you quoted, "Ulysses" has another passage which I like a lot and which actually speaks directly of old age:

Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;
Death closes all: but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,

That is my motto: "Some work of noble note may yet be done." Yes, I think you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Nothing wrong with that, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement