U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:34 AM

3,621 posts, read 1,636,912 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is in a pickle. He's in his late 30's, is married, one child. He's got declining health and will need an organ transplant. He used to make pretty good money, and still does, but he gave up working full time for contract work to help his health. It worked for awhile, but his doctor is still recommending he try something less stressful. This guy that used to pull 60-70 hours easy every week plus maintain a social calendar now is pretty much all in at 40-45, and sleeping tons. He needs an organ transplant. He's hopeful of course, but he's not sure he's going to get one.

I asked him why he kept doing it and he told me he was, as I would say, making hay while the sun shines. He doesn't believe there are low stress jobs, and even if there are, he's making 5x what he would be making starting in something small. He feels that as long as he possibly can, he should be making money, at least until his home is paid off, but that's years away even with him spending almost nothing. In what felt like a scene from Death of Salesman, he notes that if he passes in the process, his life insurance will be enough to cover the mortgage.

On the flip side, if he takes it down several notches, he won't make any money, will likely never clear his mortgage, but has a better chance at finding a matching organ. If he gets the organ, after a time he should be able to work again, but if he's out of the relevant job market too long, he starts over older, weaker and outdated. Plus the surgery will cost $250-350K plus with downtime. He says he has enough that he'll have to pay it, but not enough to not worry about it...with no guarantee that he won't need another one in another 10 years. He says he doesn't want to live to simply indebt his family and destroy what he's built.

He's a smart guy, but I think he's not realizing what he's doing yet. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:58 AM

16,372 posts, read 10,361,162 times
His life. His choice.

I don't understand how working less will help increase his chances of finding an organ.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:08 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,919,127 times
I think he wants to do as much as he can while he can. No guarantees.

I don't see how slowing down will improve his chance of finding a matching organ?

He may be thinking that either he won't live long or if he does get a transplant (or not) he will become disabled without much of an income and may lose his house altogether. Keeping his life insurance up and his medical insurance are probably very high priorities that may suffer if he slows down.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 AM

3,621 posts, read 1,636,912 times
Sorry, I left out the key detail. His doctor told him to seriously consider dropping to something part time or taking something very low stress so that he lives long enough to get his chance in line for an organ.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:38 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
His life. His choice.

My thought exactly. We all have our values and our priorities, and no one can substitute his own values for those of another person.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:42 AM

6,575 posts, read 8,008,745 times
Subconsciously he may worry/know that if he is not intensely busy he will be consumed with fear. He would rather go out on a 'high' than a low.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:49 AM

2,621 posts, read 1,371,782 times
All this angst over the mortgage is not doing him any good. If he continues to work hard, pay down the mortgage, etc., he is going to die sooner and all will be left unpaid anyway. If he slows down, he will live longer and can take out mortgage insurance so his family will have the ability to stay in their home. I think he has got his priorities wrong by continuing to kill himself so the finances will be all right. But as someone above said, it's his choice, not anyone else's.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 AM

1,926 posts, read 994,079 times
a longer life is not necessarily a better life

Old 03-28-2016, 07:56 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times
My heart goes out to this guy and his family. Talk about life throwing a curve ball.

Some decisions are a lot tougher than others. If he has made up his mind to work hard for more money at the risk of shortening his life, it's his decision to make. I think he deserves respect for doing what is important to him. None of us know what we would do if we were in that same situation.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:57 AM

4,857 posts, read 4,972,198 times
Reminds me of an old Jack Benney skit: A gunman points a gun at Jack: "your money or your life!"...Jack responds "I'm thinking about it..."

Seriously, running the hampster wheel to buy a $1M average house in the Bay Area is not worth it. His health should be his highest priority. He could always move to fly over country and buy a nice house for less than $100K if he can do his business on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or