U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I must admit, acupuncture is not a one time shot. It works slowly. I usually go 3 days and then stop. Bunching these visits make sense to me.
A true believer in acupuncture since my 20s, I've had it many times over long periods with "master" Chinese practitioners (St Louis and Boston) and it didn't help whatever I needed help with. A few years ago I did an entire year, 3 times a week for the leg swelling and also faithfully took terrible tasting Chinese herbal teas with no result. The principals in traditional Chinese medicine resonate with me, I just wish it had some beneficial effects on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 05:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
These days I actually see a very expensive structural integrationist who works on the fascia.
What does this therapy involve, and how do you find a practitioner?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:29 PM

17,417 posts, read 21,263,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Seems like a deep tissue massage practitioner is doing really hard work physically, standing, and has to pay overhead for studio rental etc. So $40 seems low. I'd go for $60 for an hour, $40 for a half hour. Seniors at the sr center here seem to go often at the higher prices. Someone told me there's a practitioner at the sr center in the next town over who offers senior rates at $40.hr.
Bear in mind, untold number of massage therapists work solo out of their homes, like myself, thus no overhead. Some only do outcalls to people's houses.

When I went through massage school, in Minneapolis, back in the 80's, there was no state licensing, and some states still don't have it. I have the certificates, but no license. Problem arises when you relocate to a state that demands licensing, and if you don't have a license, you have to go through a massage school in that state all over again, to the tune, today, of $14k.

When I finished massage school, back then, 350 hours was required to graduate. So I moved to Phoenix in 1993, and they demanded 700 hours of training. And, curiously enough, in neighboring Scottsdale, only 200 hours was required, and in another suburb, Mesa, 0 hours were needed to practice massage.

Someone asked a teacher at the massage school, when can you call yourself a professional, and her response was 2000 massages, which, over the years, I've far surpassed. But, if I wished to have a license, that would entail going back massage school all over again. And, at 65, it ain't gonna happen, and given the decimation of the massage business, I'd be fool to go back now!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I gave up on chiropractic, it did very little if anything.
When I moved to Phoenix in May of 1993 I worked back office in a Chiropractic Clinic for a year, and after working there a year, I'd never go to a Chiropractor.

When she told me there's unethical Chiropractors out there who do adjustments that will have you coming back year after year, that's all I wanted to hear!

I understand the high overhead these people have, and the expense of going through Chiropractic Colleges, so it's invariable that someone who walks in to one of these clinics with a good insurance plan, they're going to bleed that insurance company for all they can get.

Chiropractors have their favorite personal injury attorney's that they feed, and personal injury attorney's have their favorite Chiropractors that they feed, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

I used to feel so sorry for some of these accident victims that would come in, and she'd have them coming back day after day, week after week, just to bleed the insurance company.

After awhile I felt just too guilty for working there, and quit.

Yes, I'm sure there's some extremely ethical chiropractors out there, and good luck finding one!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
would you go to a doctor who was not licensed? would you go to a dentist who learned from watching you tube videos? would you let someone do surgery on you who learned from reading a book but never went to school? do you deposit your money in a bank or do you ask some random guy on the street to hold it for you?

a person is putting themself at risk if they get work from someone who is not licensed because people who "learn on their own from books and videos" do not know what they are doing, they are not trained in how to avoid doing damage and where the endangerments are, and they do not know anatomy and physiology.
Obviously you put a lot of stock in formal education!

So, I wont' be sending my favorite Spanish-speaking-only Guatemalan mobile car mechanic to your place to fix your car, with his rickety truck and tools, who fixes a number of the cars of my co-workers, who has never been to a trade school, with only 5 years of grade school education. He's the best!

Nor, will I be sending my 60YO Mexican handyman roommate, who's been a handyman for 30-40 years, over to your house to have something fixed, as he's had no formal education. Anything that goes south in my house is fixed ASAP!

The problem with the massage schools today is they've become too powerful, insisting that no one is competent enough to give a massage unless they've been through their massage school, overlooking those who do not want a therapeutic massage, but merely want an unprofessional feel-good massage.

This is how powerful and greedy they've become, in Las Vegas if you do massage without a license, it's a $500 fine for a first offense, $1000 for a 2nd offense, $5000 for a 3rd offense!

Some of those who go to massage school, may have only taken the basic Esalen course (light-handed massage) and then dropped out, and yet, they're not even allowed to give an Esalen massage, unless they have a license!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement